AFSC Reviews

Content with AFSC

Current Employee - Transition Counselor  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Transition Counselor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AFSC full-time for more than a year

Pros

As long as I am doing my job successfully, I am pretty much left alone. If I have any ideas about what works best, etc. the company is very good at listening to my concerns and advice. They occasionally send me gifts in the mail which I thoroughly enjoy. If I need time off, it's not a big deal as long as I plan accordingly. They have been more than flexible with me and I would love to keep working with them for the next few years if possible.

Cons

I just wish there was more sick/vacation leave. I get two weeks a year and it goes for both sick and vacation leave. I also wish there was a little more training. I was kind of just thrown into my job and if there are any changes, I basically just deal with it. I’m okay with doing that but some other people in the local areas aren’t as good at taking the responsibility of training themselves. It is government contracting so when the contract is up and someone else comes in and takes over, it kinda sucks.

So far, I love the management here. Cindy Dillard is such a fantastic leader. I'm very happy with the leadership here and their abilities to guide and support you compared to a dictatorship.

I won't last long at this joint

I have been working at AFSC full-time

Pros

AFSC exists to serve the military family and if you enjoy volunteer work, this is the place for you. They just won a lot of contracts, including mine.

Cons

This company specializes in wining contracts at the absolute lowest rate. They prefer to hire retired military or military spouses. If you are retired military, your retired rank/pay will be factored into your offer, meaning you'll receive a low offer. If you are a military spouse the management knows that you'll take less pay just to have a job. If you've never been a part of the military, that's OK, they'll pay you just enough to get you to say yes. AFSC just took over my project and nearly half of us received a pay cut. I know from other AFSC employees that pay increases are a rare. The $$'s that you accept coming in the door will be your salary for the duration of the contract. If AFSC wins a re-compete, they will have won with the lowest rates, so don't be surprised if they cut your pay. The benefits are expensive and very poor. In fact I'm sure AFSC counts on the fact that we won't use benefits. There's only a handful of people that are making money at AFSC and it won't be you. I've been in this business a while and this is the type of company that will say yes to anything the government wants, expect their employees to take little pay for a lot of work, and then say goodbye to us as soon as the contract ends. The only winners are the owners and some of the executive staff.

Finally, a company that cares!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at AFSC full-time for more than a year

Pros

The name says it all for me. Why does every contractor company have a company name that tries to sound fancy?! AFSC...Armed Forces Services Corporation...is all about the military...AND THEY MEAN IT. My manager (who isn't that senior in the company) was telling me about a phone call they received from the CEO congratulating them on something our team accomplished. WOW! Where does that happen. THEN, I get a random bonus to spend on my professional development. HELLO...I'm all in.

Cons

Okay, so I must be fair. I was pulled into the company by a friend that was bragging about feeling good about the job. She was right, but contracting positions don't pay what they use to. I don't blame AFSC, my friends with other companies say they are feeling the same thing.

Don't change what you're doing. I saw some other posts on the site and was surprised. Guess it makes some people feel good to vent...I agree. Glass is half full, or in the case of AFSC, it is almost to the top with me.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AFSC is a great place to work, this is a company that values diversity, culture and fair pay.

Current Employee - Counselor  in  Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Counselor in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at AFSC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive and welcoming environment, because of its diversity and great values they create a healthy environment that makes me enjoy my job.

Cons

It will be great to meet with higher management face to face.

It will be great if the company can set up a yearly meeting face to face with all the regions.

0ver 100 Years of Experience? Heart of a Non-Profit? None of this is true

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at AFSC full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at AFSC as a contractor. The only positive was the nice office building HQ in Arlington, VA in Shirlington. Even that was ruined by the constant complaining and negativity of the young, spoiled sorority sister HQ staff. They served wounded warriors, but most of them had never had any connection to the military. They were just young women fresh out of college.

Cons

The biggest reason not to work with or for AFSC is: LIES. They are just a bunch of young contractors who were used and abused by the likes of Booz Allen Hamilton. They left BAH to start their own company and they hooked up with AFSC. They absolutely do not have more than 130 years of experience serving the military as contractors. That is a lie. They made themselves Vice Presidents of This and Vice Presidents of That, but they don't know what they are doing. I find it ironic that they didn't like how they were treated at BAH, so they left. Without any leadership ability or training, they turned around and treated their underlings the same way they didn't like being treated.

Grow up.

My experience is "Let me Google that for you."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AFSC full-time

Pros

The people I work with are friendly, patient and very knowledgeable in their fields.

Cons

For a company that works with the uniformed services, they are out of touch with most of their audience.

Upper Management needs to understand that they can't give vague requests and expect the workers to read their minds.

AFSC was my first full time job out of college and I feel like it was a great place to work.

I have been working at AFSC full-time

Pros

They really took care of their employees. Once we all wanted to get involved with the Kentucky half marathon and the company actually sponsored us. I feel like the benefits were very fair. You earned both sick leave and vacation leave instead of having it all rolled into one like most companies.

Cons

I loved working for AFSC. I hated when I had to move to a different contractor.

Great company - does excellent and important work for our veterans!

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at AFSC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with people that really care about the military community and want to improve processes that are tedious, encumbered by beauracracy and detrimental to veterans and their families.

Cons

Don't always have a place to put you when contracts end...

A mid-size company filled with highly motivated individuals dedicated to helping wounded, ill & injured service members.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AFSC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Personal motivation is the factor that will hinder your professional development.

Cons

Government contracting can be unpredictable which requires AFSC to stay lean and mean to remain competitive.

Senior management would be well served to develop a more open and structured advancement plan for employees.

Not good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Knox, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Knox, KY

I have been working at AFSC

Pros

Work life balance flexibiliy. They are very good about allowing you to take the time off necessary to handle family or personal matters.

Cons

Used to be a good company before they got greedy and did what ever it took to win a contract which meant screwing over their employees and they did not care that they did that just told employees they should be thankful to have a job and it doesnt matter that everyone loss pay.

Investigate problems more throughly and dont let leadership be one sided. Be more transparent about things going on within the company.

Worked for AFSC? Contribute to the Community!