AFSC Reviews

Geoffrey J. Deutsch

1. Still in love with AFSC even after all these years

Former Employee - AW2 Advocate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - AW2 Advocate in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. They truly care for their people and go the extra mile to take care of you. You will often hear upper management say that "AFSC has the heart of a non-profit " and from my experience that was true. The benefits package was amazing.

Cons

I was a remote AW2 Advocate and never had any complaints. Employees who work at the office may have a different experience, but mine was extremely positive.

Advice to Management

Keep on, keeping on. I would come back in a heartbeat.

2. Positive work envirnonment

Pros

Excellent support from management. Friendly and helpful co-workers.

Cons

Not enough time off. No overtime pay.

Advice to Management

More job responsibilities training at the beginning of the job.

3. Peer Support Coordinator

Current Employee - Peer Support Coordinator in Martinez, GA
    Current Employee - Peer Support Coordinator in Martinez, GA

I have been working at AFSC (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team environment with excellent pay.

Cons

Knowing that as a contractor, contracts end.

Home Visitor

Former Employee - Home Visitor in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Home Visitor in Tacoma, WA

Pros

Verbal approval of flexibility of shifts. The job requirements and outcomes. The mission and value statements and attributes they verbalize they wish to portray.

Cons

Harassment - continuing long after employment has ended. Blatant, intentional verbal abuse. Bullying. Lies. Intentional deletion of nursing/social work notes in the computer system strongly appears to have been performed by management officials directly or indirectly.

Advice to Management

I've been following reviews on this site for some time now. Seemingly employee reviews on this page (glass door) often seem scammed, set-up, and/or filtered. Perhaps some managers and upper management officials are ethical, but the site I worked on created absolute mayhem in every employee's life within the department I worked in on a deep, personal level. Because you told everyone to keep their mouth shut - many in fact felt they were the only one -- and the ones to blame. A minimum of two in authority (one pseudo- and one official) engaged in intentional, crazy-making endeavors that worked. I hope things have changed by now. I truly, truly do.

Low compensation, "good old boys" culture

Pros

flexibility in schedule, able to work from home, work-life balance

Cons

No women or minorities hold positions of Senior Leadership. Board consists entirely of caucasian men. Compensation is poor. Company core value of "do more" consists of employees being expected to take on added responsibilities without additional compensation. Company tries to cut corners by reducing staffing and adding additional duties to the role of current employees.

Advice to Management

Corporate functioning is lacking in its ability to support staff due to insufficient staffing. Compensation is poor and not competitive. Senior leadership is condescending and possesses an elitist mentality

Growing Fast

I have been working at AFSC full-time

Pros

Good mission and rewarding. Serving military, families and veterans.

Cons

Office culture varies between departments and leaders.

Advice to Management

Compensation and improve culture

Content with AFSC

Current Employee - Transition Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Transition Counselor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AFSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As long as I am doing my job successfully, I am pretty much left alone. If I have any ideas about what works best, etc. the company is very good at listening to my concerns and advice. They occasionally send me gifts in the mail which I thoroughly enjoy. If I need time off, it's not a big deal as long as I plan accordingly. They have been more than flexible with me and I would love to keep working with them for the next few years if possible.

Cons

I just wish there was more sick/vacation leave. I get two weeks a year and it goes for both sick and vacation leave. I also wish there was a little more training. I was kind of just thrown into my job and if there are any changes, I basically just deal with it. I’m okay with doing that but some other people in the local areas aren’t as good at taking the responsibility of training themselves. It is government contracting so when the contract is up and someone else comes in and takes over, it kinda sucks.

Advice to Management

So far, I love the management here. Cindy Dillard is such a fantastic leader. I'm very happy with the leadership here and their abilities to guide and support you compared to a dictatorship.

Shady

Current Employee - Never "assigned" to A Particular Contract in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Never "assigned" to A Particular Contract in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at AFSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of one thing..

Cons

They bid on and win contracts based on fraudulent requirements. Their bids list employees available to complete the work, however they don't really have the infrastructure to perform the work (i.e, no employees to fill the vacant slots). They hire and bounce employees back and forth and around the various contracts and then they let them go once the contract is completed.

Advice to Management

Don't use your veteran hiring status to win contracts and then lay your veterans off after you win the bid.. Our soldiers deserve long-term jobs with great benefits. Stop hiring veterans on false pretenses (to fill various contract slots) and then fire them once a couple of contracts are over. If they weren't hired for a specific contract, how can you fire them saying it's because such and such contract is over?

10. AFSC is a great place to work, this is a company that values diversity, culture and fair pay.

Current Employee - Counselor in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Counselor in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at AFSC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive and welcoming environment, because of its diversity and great values they create a healthy environment that makes me enjoy my job.

Cons

It will be great to meet with higher management face to face.

Advice to Management

It will be great if the company can set up a yearly meeting face to face with all the regions.

Finally, a company that cares!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at AFSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The name says it all for me. Why does every contractor company have a company name that tries to sound fancy?! AFSC...Armed Forces Services Corporation...is all about the military...AND THEY MEAN IT. My manager (who isn't that senior in the company) was telling me about a phone call they received from the CEO congratulating them on something our team accomplished. WOW! Where does that happen. THEN, I get a random bonus to spend on my professional development. HELLO...I'm all in.

Cons

Okay, so I must be fair. I was pulled into the company by a friend that was bragging about feeling good about the job. She was right, but contracting positions don't pay what they use to. I don't blame AFSC, my friends with other companies say they are feeling the same thing.

Advice to Management

Don't change what you're doing. I saw some other posts on the site and was surprised. Guess it makes some people feel good to vent...I agree. Glass is half full, or in the case of AFSC, it is almost to the top with me.

RSS Feed </> Embed