AGL Resources
www.aglresources.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

AGL Resources Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014
AGL Resources – Atlanta – “Ten Peachtree Place”

AGL Resources President, CEO, and Chairman John W. Somerhalder II

John W. Somerhalder II

Great people = Great company

I have been working at AGL Resources full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIncredible work atmosphere. You really feel a part of the team as management respects and takes to heart your ideas. Superb pay. Phenomenal co-workers. High level of job security. Fortune 1000 company. Pioneer in natural gas. Professional and respected company. High level of training and transitioning. Company is constant with staying relevant. A very ethnically diverse company. Largest natural gas distribution in the USA.

ConsHealth benefits could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore career development would benefit employees.

A typical utility

Naperville, IL

I worked at AGL Resources full-time

ProsWorking conditions, benefits, and salary are average or lower for a large company. Naperville office is highway friendly.

ConsMorale is poor, most senior management is selected from within. Very bottom-line oriented company with little regard for the human resource.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more externals for senior positions to get a more talented and well-rounded team, especially critical for non-utility subsidiaries.

Horrible

Account Representative (Former Employee)
Naperville, IL

I worked at AGL Resources full-time for less than a year

Prosnothing, none, nada, there are no pros to being with this organization.

ConsConstant monitoring! They want to make sure you sale on every call. The services are cheap, and the customer will get what they pay for, the only time they react to a customers need is when they call screaming & threatening legal action. Too much stress. If you can bypass, and if you do take this job, please do not stop looking for other employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet experience people in management roles! Stop using snicker bars to entice sales, lol, you employ adults.

Great place to work!

I worked at AGL Resources full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLongevity, there are a lot of people who have been there 15 years and up. The pay is highly competitive. New opportunities in the making for the future of natural gas. The leadership team on the executive level are superb. Excellent communication from the top.

ConsUnorganized in some departments. Supervisor staff needs additional training. You truly must know someone in order to move up. Lack of opportunities to move up to supervisory roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much to type. I would say in summary. Train how to manage people on the supervisor level from a supportive perspective. Train supervisors how to embrace change without reflecting the frustration of it to your team. Attempt to make more opportunities available.

Variety of Opportunities

I have been working at AGL Resources full-time

ProsExcellent benefits plan including bonus structure and pay for performance culture
High tenure among employees (ex. 30 - 40+ years is not uncommon)
Active in community and volunteer involvement
Diversified within natural gas industry
Has been successful in acquisition of multiple companies
Excellent CEO who cares about employees

ConsCorporate office in downtown
Very little structure for development unless a field employee
Not all departments or managers have embraces the concept of working from home or a remote office.
Work/Life balance is a struggle throughout the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better training to those who are in management or considering moving into management. Give them tools to be successful leaders.

I've met nothing but intelligent and kind people at AGL.

I have been working at AGL Resources as an intern

ProsCorporate Enviroment, Flexibility, Friendly Enviroment

ConsI cant think of any!

Please think twice and take review here seriously

I have been working at AGL Resources full-time

ProsLocation - right next to midtown marta station as well as plenty restaurants

Cons1. Health benefits are not the best, but it's better than nothing.

2. No bonus paid this year

3. Good ole boy network - if that's your thing this company would be perfect for you.

4. A lot of sneaky behavior and backstabbing. Not to mention micro-managing and no growth potential or challenge

5. Directors don't have a clue - there needs to be leadership training before putting people in these positions.

6. People are leaving the company in DROVES. That ought to tell ya something. Company culture not defined, it's different depending on the department you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more time and money in your employees. They are your greatest asset after all!!! More leadership and skills development training needed (not just your normal Microsoft office classes). Pay close attention to what departments have the highest attrition - chances are, there is a BIG problem in that department.

Lost their way

Prosgood work environment
friendly staff
individual empowerment

Consmerit increases barely match inflation - salaries eventually become stale
great bonus system tanked in the last two years
horrendous renaming of job titles after recent purchase/merger

Advice to Senior Managementlost your ways dudes - hope you find your way back
it was a good company to work for overall

AGL, avoid it at all cost

Analyst (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at AGL Resources full-time

ProsCorporate office is in a great location in midtown Atlanta with an abundance of restaurants. AGL has free parking.

ConsManagement in this company cannout focus.
There is no big picture planning.
Cannot trust anyone in management.
No work/life balance, if you work for AGL, expect to work 24/7.

Compensation is OK, but not worth the expense to your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a plan and actually DO it.

Middle management does not work, (only passes information on to upper management).

Atlanta, GA

I worked at AGL Resources full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice coworkers. Sometimes nosey. Don't share anything with anyone, unless you are comfortable with it getting to your boss...

ConsMicro managers all over the place in middle management. They don't do any work, and they breath down your neck to see what you are doing and when you are going to get it done.

This place use to be very easy going. 40 hour weeks always, and work from home on Fridays sometimes. Man have the times changed... This place is

Advice to Senior ManagementCut middle management (many directors) out. They are not needed... Save cash and a lot of manager and staff headache, and regret for working here.

Worked for AGL Resources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AGL Resources reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AGL Resources CEO John W. Somerhalder II. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by AGL Resources employees.