AGL Resources

AGL Resources Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

AGL Resources President, CEO, and Chairman John W. Somerhalder II

John W. Somerhalder II

Great learning experience, supportive environment

Helpdesk (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat teamwork, great pay, friendly environment,

ConsNot willing to expand departments that could use more employees

AGL

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMostly friendly people, to your face

ConsLack of senior leadership, mostly hands-off

Great place to work until the acquisition of Nicor Gas

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOld AGL has a lot of good people that care about one another

ConsEverything is run by Nicor now; not sure why but they rule the world; their culture is not like ours; they are hierarchal and cutthroat and scared to do their jobs; AGL had a culture of caring, teamwork and respect-Nicor has made that all different; lots of "secret societies" now

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at what made us good and go back to the basics; stop letting one part of the company rule the entire company; your really good people here have left or are looking to leave as fast as they can, however they can; management is supporting some leaders who do not have leadership skills at all-they; the company we all used to know is gone.....

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

positive experience, established processes and seasoned leadership team

Director (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosvery well-established, mature company in a mature industry. very well-defined processes and procedures. focus on safety and customer service. leadership team has deep experience in natural gas industry. always pursuing operational improvements in the field - trying to find a better way to manage resources and serve customers.

Constend to hire more senior positions from within. benefits lower than average for the market. compensation lower than market.

Advice to Senior Managementcross-train employees for personal growth.

Great people = Great company

ProsIncredible work atmosphere. You really feel a part of the team as management respects and takes to heart your ideas. Superb pay. Phenomenal co-workers. High level of job security. Fortune 1000 company. Pioneer in natural gas. Professional and respected company. High level of training and transitioning. Company is constant with staying relevant. A very ethnically diverse company. Largest natural gas distribution in the USA.

ConsHealth benefits could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore career development would benefit employees.

A typical utility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsWorking conditions, benefits, and salary are average or lower for a large company. Naperville office is highway friendly.

ConsMorale is poor, most senior management is selected from within. Very bottom-line oriented company with little regard for the human resource.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more externals for senior positions to get a more talented and well-rounded team, especially critical for non-utility subsidiaries.

Horrible

Account Representative (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

Prosnothing, none, nada, there are no pros to being with this organization.

ConsConstant monitoring! They want to make sure you sale on every call. The services are cheap, and the customer will get what they pay for, the only time they react to a customers need is when they call screaming & threatening legal action. Too much stress. If you can bypass, and if you do take this job, please do not stop looking for other employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet experience people in management roles! Stop using snicker bars to entice sales, lol, you employ adults.

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLongevity, there are a lot of people who have been there 15 years and up. The pay is highly competitive. New opportunities in the making for the future of natural gas. The leadership team on the executive level are superb. Excellent communication from the top.

ConsUnorganized in some departments. Supervisor staff needs additional training. You truly must know someone in order to move up. Lack of opportunities to move up to supervisory roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much to type. I would say in summary. Train how to manage people on the supervisor level from a supportive perspective. Train supervisors how to embrace change without reflecting the frustration of it to your team. Attempt to make more opportunities available.

Variety of Opportunities

ProsExcellent benefits plan including bonus structure and pay for performance culture
    High tenure among employees (ex. 30 - 40+ years is not uncommon)
    Active in community and volunteer involvement
    Diversified within natural gas industry
    Has been successful in acquisition of multiple companies
    Excellent CEO who cares about employees

ConsCorporate office in downtown
    Very little structure for development unless a field employee
    Not all departments or managers have embraces the concept of working from home or a remote office.
    Work/Life balance is a struggle throughout the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better training to those who are in management or considering moving into management. Give them tools to be successful leaders.

I've met nothing but intelligent and kind people at AGL.

ProsCorporate Enviroment, Flexibility, Friendly Enviroment

ConsI cant think of any!

Worked for AGL Resources? Contribute to the Community!