AGLA Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
49 reviews filtered by

Excellent product- terrible front office

Current Employee - Agent in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Agent in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at AGLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have actual benefits; like pension, health insurance, dental etc!
    They have an excellent cutting edge product- Critical and Chronic health accelerated benefit riders at no charge. You are a W-2 employee; they part of your SS tax and withhold Fed and State.

Cons

Front office is the focus of the company's energy, NOT the agents. They do every stupid thing they can to slow you down. They make you get signatures for and and every little thing. The underwriting is sometimes loose and sometimes so stupidly uptight as to make you insane.
    The pay per issued app is very low.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the 1950's way of looking at business. Get rid of the stupid Pad. Facilitate your agents efforts DON'T hinder them at every opportunity! Too many stupid and time consuming meetings (and reports).

2. Not a first choice...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at AGLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability for endless earnings. If you are fortunate enough to become an associate manager or general manager you will have it made (these people do absolutely nothing and make big bucks).

Cons

As in most insurance sales, strictly commission based. If a client cancels a policy within a year you lose all commission that you made on the sale. Getting help from a manager when needed is like pulling teeth. A big "what have you done for me lately" type office. Lacking professionalism big time as well, they are concerned with themselves and not whats best for a client.

Advice to Management

Filter your candidates for local management better. Big sales figures don't make someone a good manager.

3. Living the life of an AGLA agent

Current Employee - Agent in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Agent in Ocala, FL

I have been working at AGLA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, opportunity to visit all types of people in all walks of life. AGLA offers the Critical, Chronic & Terminal riders at NO COST. What a GREAT way to feel that you DON'T have to die to use this product.

Cons

Consistently looking for new clients.

Advice to Management

They are doing the best they can in advising us how to increase our sales. If someone could help us set appointments, that might help.

5. Ehhhh

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes Barre, PA

I have been working at AGLA

Pros

freedom of scheduling, potential for big earnings

Cons

local management is incompetent, lazy, condescending

6. There is no glass ceiling at AGLA and if you need help with a big project you get help from everyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at AGLA

Pros

W2 employee. If you work hard you will see that in your paychecks. This is a career not a job. Flexible scedule but have to work 30 hours plus-again this is a career. You are basically your own boss as long as you are producing.

Cons

Again this is a career not a job. It's not 9-5. You work mornings, nights, and weekends. Can be very stressful is you are not meeting standards but that doesnt happen overnight.

Advice to Management

More advance notice of company meetings. Budget for office advertising and promotions. Less use of paper(go green) I do know the company is going in this direction

7. No growth opportunities, poor communication, promotions only occur after several years of service, education not valued

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist, Senior in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist, Senior in Nashville, TN

I have been working at AGLA

Pros

Benefits are pretty good as far as insurance coverage, time off, etc.

Cons

Jobs being shipped overseas but company vague about that whole process, "restructuring" and "getting lean", employees not told anything but just to focus on their jobs which is difficult when we know the ax will fall any day. Raises are crap..best received3.5%, worst 1.5%, 1.5% because I changed departments and I was "making almost as much as people in my dept that had been there a long time" which has nothing to do with my ability or skills, now they (AIG)want to invest in apartment buildings. As a government bailed out company one would think that they would try to retain employees as well as finances rather than spending money and sending jobs overseas.

Advice to Management

Communicate more, value current employees regardless of how long they have been there, value an education over tenure.

8. The experience gained from AGLA is priceless.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at AGLA

Pros

AGLA's compensation programs is amazing for top producers. It also has above average benefits including a pension.

Cons

As a producer, it is strictly commission based, which is not a bad thing if you are producing. However, if you are not writing business, the weekly pay can be harsh.

Advice to Management

We have a great management team who are fair, firm and know how to get things done while maintaining good morale.

9. Stressful and unorganized, not enough pay

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at AGLA

Pros

flexible hours, make your own schedule

Cons

no salary, expensive health care, no guidance, a lot of the employees sold like "dirty salesmen"

Advice to Management

don't teach new employees to just seel, it should be about finding the right product for each specific customer

10. Learned allot but wasn't worth it

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Terre Haute, IN
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Terre Haute, IN

I worked at AGLA

Pros

freedom out in the field - contests were fun to win , I enjoyed meeting the clients and helping when I could

Cons

Where do I start ? I worked for AGLA until 1990 for 2.5 years -- I was the leading agent in our office 0 2nd in the district and in the top 200 hundred in the company -- I only made 28,000.00 - the benefits were awesome - the mgmnt was a bunch of liars -- each goal you made the less support you got. I was promised that I could have a staff if I reached all of the goals , trips made and production reached ... no luck --- the sales manager would do anything to inhibit your success -- cheating out of commission - trying to kill sales yet knowingly taking premium from the elderly for medicare policies when they were on medicaid -- the list goes on................

Advice to Management

I have no advice other than quit cheating people , agents out of their money. Quit preying on the elderly , ensure they are buying something they need

11. My job has been very rewarding...I am able to make a significant positive impact in the lives of our customers.

Current Employee - AGLA Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - AGLA Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at AGLA

Pros

AGLA is a great place to work. Employees, agents and managers are recognized for their contributions, rewarded and paid for performance. People here really care about our customers. The Quality of Life...Insurance products and marketing tools, DVDs, etc are great!

Cons

Selling life insurance face-to-face is not easy work. Customers are very busy and are reluctant to give up their time to meet with an agent. That said, AGLA does a good job training their agents how to set appointments, fact find, provide the proper solution and get referred leads.

Advice to Management

Continue to do a good job listening to employees and customers. Invest more in modern systems to improve interactions with customer and agents.

AGLA Photos