AHIMA

Updated November 11, 2014
3.1

AHIMA CEO Lynne Thomas Gordon
Lynne Thomas Gordon

Work here if you believe your work will be leading to change, a change that can ultimately benefit humanity overall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AHIMA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I will forever be grateful for the opportunity that AHIMA gave me. I was able to grow at this organization and was looked at a leader just before I left. It was a very hard decision for me to leave this organization yet at the end I left not for any politics but for personal monetary gain. Its still a decision I am coming to grips with because at AHIMA we care about change ( in the healthcare system) where I am now well its all about the $$$ I should have figured that when a Kardashian made an appearance at our place of business. If I could go back I would. Maybe in the future I will look out for positions that I may fit into.

Cons

For me work life balance was difficult. I found myself in the office and then found myself working from home often this lead to some distrust in my opinion with upper management. They felt if you are in the office things are getting done as opposed to being home and things not getting done.

Its been a pretty hectic few years at AHIMA. Lot of changes organizationally that have seen some great people leave. Another thing I have noticed that unfortunately we didn't give back to the employees. For example we didn't have a summer party and I am not sure if there is a winter party but keep in mind keep your employees happy and in return I believe they will put their best foot forward in any position they have. AHIMA has adopted the Studer methodology if you don't know anything about it I suggest reading up on Quint Studer and his publications as this will be a benefit to you in any position you have there.

AHIMA attracts the best and the brightest employees

I have been working at AHIMA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is how I would describe AHIMA:

1.Respect/Fairness;
    9.Meaning/Purpose;
    10.Communication;
    11.Decision Making;
    12.Goals/Strategy.

Cons

There are a few staff members who are clearly not happy working at AHIMA. They should move on.

Keep work life balance at the fore front.

AHIMA Terrific work experience and environment

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AHIMA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked in many different fields but AHIMA's work-life balance is probably the best I have ever encountered. Staff members are incredibly friendly and work very hard. The summer hours are especially accommodating but there is still enough of a challenge to keep work interesting. There are many talented employees with a lot to teach you and morale is very high. Monthly meetings keep everybody on the same page and there are plenty of nice perks from the company.

Cons

AHIMA appears to be going through some major changes which can be confusing but I think they are heading the right direction.

Don't believe the recent reviews, they are fabricated by management. Look at the trend in reviews, not plausible!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AHIMA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If absolutely have no idea what you are doing, you can get a paycheck...at AHIMA. There are people that would consider this a positive, and AHMIA manages to find them....and keep them, forever. Whether they show up or not.

Cons

Absolute dishonesty from senior management. HR is solute joke. These people couldn't run an ice cream truck. No one can make a decision or provide leadership because they have never done it before. When we did have a real leader at the top, peoples feelings got hurt and there was a revolt. This place can't and won't change....ever.

Give back the $60,000,000 plus you are sitting on to the members of your shill organization. Don't get me wrong, health informatics is an important field, but you incompetents shouldn't be the spokesperson for it. There needs to be some real oversight of you crooks. You absolutely rob your members. How can you spend the money that you do and reward yourself for such incompetence? Lynn, your executive team is an embarrassment, your decisions lack any sense of organizational behavior.

AHIMA putting emphasis on what's important

I have been working at AHIMA part-time

Pros

The workplace is a well-blended mix of a social, upbeat environment, coupled with the necessary emphasis on professionalism. There is certainly a drive to work hard and strive for productivity, but people here understand that there is life outside the office. This is a nice change of pace from the corporate (strictly business) drudge of my previous 9-5 work experience. i.e. My boss "makes" me participate in playfully competitive, on-going Jenga matches throughout the day where we take turns whenever we have time between work and meetings.

The location at Michigan/Whacker is hard to beat, next to everything that's anything in Chicago.

Cons

Meetings can sometimes extend beyond the regular work day but are always catered. Can't complain about free food.

Rewarding work experience

Former Employee - Practice Excellence in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Practice Excellence in Chicago, IL

I worked at AHIMA as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative culture, cutting edge technology, superior benefits and flexible work environment. Work here if you are looking for a career vs a job.

Cons

Continue working on getting the right talent in place.

Current CEO is well respected by all staff. Follow her lead.

Great benefits, management has gone downhill

I worked at AHIMA full-time

Pros

Great medical benefits, annual bonus, casual dress two days per week, decent salary

Cons

Complete turnover in upper management over the past two years. New management came in and tried to reinvent the wheel, not bothering to find out from the "worker bees" how things have been done or tried in the past or even what the "worker bees" do. A silo environment in which various departments don't communicate much, let alone work together to create a unified environment.

Listen to what staff members say. For my entire tenure most staff complained about how it is impossible to complete work on a timely basis when overloaded with work Management solution was to add more managers or vice presidents who created even more work. Managers should be more aware of staff members' duties and the amount of time it takes to complete them.

AHIMA really cares about its employees

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at AHIMA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work, innovative, high energy, collaborative, and fun work environment. AHIMA is committed to life long learning. Management walks the talk and is trusted.

Cons

The organization is growing so fast!

Keep up the good work!

A very painful experience

I worked at AHIMA full-time

Pros

There are no pros to list.

Cons

Leadership is extremely poor and make decisions that benefit themselves or their friends financially. It's unfortunate because leadership is destroying peoples lives without hesitate.

Quit.

Painful and degrading. Everyone who does the work suffers here.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at AHIMA full-time

Pros

The location is great. It's a relatively easy commute.

Cons

Employees and members are not valued. Too much interest in selling coding education products globally rather than advocating for keeping the US coding paying members employed.

Figure it out that you are heading down the wrong road. You have the wrong leadership who don't understand the industry and are the only ones thinking the culture is improving.

AHIMA Photos