AHIMA
www.ahima.org Chicago, IL 150 to 499 Employees

AHIMA Reviews

Updated Mar 17, 2014
AHIMA – Atlanta – “AHIMA Celebrates its 85th Anniversary”

AHIMA CEO Lynne Thomas Gordon

Lynne Thomas Gordon

Great place to work... hard.

Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at AHIMA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople at AHIMA genuinely want to work hard and do a good job. They are becoming more collaborative and performance-oriented, and the culture feels much more relaxed than it did two years ago. The AHIMA members are engaged and loyal which makes daily work even more meaningful.

ConsThere are currently a lot of changes in the works and many employees are overwhelmed with the number of projects and initiatives going on simultaneously. AHIMA needs to learn to focus and take things off its plate that are no longer vital to the company's success.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example, coach those underneath you, and help keep focus. You don't have to be involved in every decision in order to achieve success - find good people, train them, trust them.

Painful and degrading. Everyone who does the work suffers here.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AHIMA full-time

ProsThe location is great. It's a relatively easy commute.

ConsEmployees and members are not valued. Too much interest in selling coding education products globally rather than advocating for keeping the US coding paying members employed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out that you are heading down the wrong road. You have the wrong leadership who don't understand the industry and are the only ones thinking the culture is improving.

Horrible senior management staff, lack of vision and focus.

I worked at AHIMA full-time

ProsThe people here are very friendly and they all want to do a good job and do right. I think the people who work here truly care about their work and want AHIMA to be all the things that are being told to them.

ConsThe problem here is the lack of leadership from the senior executives to a CEO who doesn't do a good job of supporting staff against a micro-managing Board who doesn't understand a lick of strategy or their roles. Instead, staff need to constantly change and accommodate a self-serving Board and its members and as a result, nothing ever gets done around here.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to clean house and get rid of some of their ineffective leaders. They aren't doing a good job and it's not helping the company.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rudderless Sorority for longtime members to live out their control and self esteem fantasies

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at AHIMA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLocated in the heart of downtown Chicago, steps from everywhere cool and exciting

ConsPetty, ignorant, venal managers do well here. Talent not recognized let alone rewarded. The most mean-spirited, egomaniacal meddlesome board members ever. Resistant to anything resembling positive change or evolutionary effort. Lacking imagination at every turn. Rewards those who always say yes and do the misguided, political and sexist (anti-male) bidding for board that uses organization to feel important despite being over-populated with limited middle managers. Hostile to men, minorities, (especially African Americans and gay men) and those who challenge leaderships limited world view. Lots of looting of the till through phony bonus program, international travel to fake conferences, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cow-towing to your ignorant, self-interested, status quo-embracing board and empower your best talent with resources, leeway and cover from a brutish board and membership.

Run while you can

I worked at AHIMA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe employees really want to do a good job and care about the membership.

ConsComplete lack of direction and leadership from the Board of Directors and CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some direction before you restructure.

Don't go 50 feet near this place

I have been working at AHIMA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome great and hardworking folks in low and mid tiers. They all follow to the mission and very protective of the organization in a good way. They do have great benefit and did have a great flex policy which has been taken away. At times they do have fun with different employee engagement

ConsSenior leadership stinks! And that is a understatement. They brought in bullies who only cared about their own personal agenda. All they wanted to was destroy the credibility of the organization. Do not care what you have done in the past or the success. They blame you for failure that was set forth by previous leaderships. If you are not liked, they will make it impossible for you to survive. If you speak against, you will be looked down upon and no abritration process to resolve conflicts. Management will call you out but cannot provide proof to substaniate their claims.
They hired incompetent folks who have no previous HIM experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some serious house cleaning. Stop wasting time on bringing in outside groups to help you fix your cultural issues. Those all change once you real leadership not cheerleaders. Stop putting irresponsible and reckless people in charge of postions which they are not capable or have experience for. Give a shot to others who actually know what they are doing. No one is afraid of change, it's the lies you present to your employees. Trust is a two way street.

Some Positives but Several Negatives

I have been working at AHIMA full-time

ProsNice and good staff members who work hard and are the bedrock of an organization that has gone through a lot of senior leadership changes. Three CEOs in 3 years.
Staff works with HR to create periodic social events as well as activities to improve health and wellness.

ConsLeadership. Culture is politcal and can sometimes appear unfriendly and non-inclusive. More people need to be heard and more importantly - valued. Leadership is overly influenced by a relatively small few - some who appear self serving.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust yourself. Listen to and value more individuals and not be overly influenced by those who are vocal but don't have a track record of success. Try to stay in-touch with staff. Be involved in key decisions - don't relinquish leadership responsibility. Convey confidence which sometimes seems lacking.

Unsettled Corporate Culture

I have been working at AHIMA full-time

ProsThe people at AHIMA are very friendly and genuinely want to do a good job. Customer service is a huge focus for the association and they bend over backwards to keep the members happy.

ConsNo direction for the company due to substantial turnover. The employees don't trust upper management and as a result the atmosphere is toxic. Employees are afraid to make mistakes as they think they will be the next one terminated. The current culture is not easy on the person tough on the problem, but rather the complete opposite.

Buyer Beware

Chicago, IL

I have been working at AHIMA

ProsCompany was restructured from top to bottom to remove inefficiencies and to help make it a more safe and collaborative environment.

ConsCompany is now restructured from top to bottom with new inefficiencies and with uncertainty of future, making it an unsafe and guarded environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen determining the level of payout for the yearly bonus, think twice about basing it partly on the the employee satisfaction survey. Unless your goal was to coerce them into liking their job.

lots of issues

I worked at AHIMA

Prosinteresting work and lots of projects

Constoo many. it is going through some trouble. Steer clear till the leadership is fixed. organization does not value and respect employees who actually produce. political and lots of management and staff turnover and firings. truth is hard to come by and it is not an open environment --- trust does not exist

Worked for AHIMA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AHIMA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AHIMA CEO Lynne Thomas Gordon. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by AHIMA employees.