AHRC New York City

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
3.1

CEO

Great agency to get experience

Current Employee - Community Support Supervisor  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Community Support Supervisor in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at AHRC New York City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great learning environment in terms of working with different people of various backgrounds. Salary is not that great, but I fell in love with the population I work for and therefore each day is a fun. The agency provides lots of opportunities for trainings. Room for professional growth. Benefits are very good full time employees.

Cons

Lots of constantly changing regulations from the higher ups and the state. Tons and tons of paperwork to keep up not to fall out of compliance. They also recently cut the budget for tuition reimbursement for the employees who go to school.

Camp Anne

I worked at AHRC New York City full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are much nicer than management. Not much else...

Cons

Management did not care much for employees' welfare, such as myself. Very poor pay rate - basically taking advantage of students, especially international students who are paid little to nothing, instead of hiring proper professionals to perform the role of a nurse.

A seriously MIXED bag with mostly bad stuff....

I have been working at AHRC New York City

Pros

Great health benefits. In a world where these are scarce, AHRC, does provide excellent benefits across the board. My direct supervisor is a good person and does what she can to help me and others but seems burnt out on her job and has uttered as much in from of staff on at least one occasion that I heard personally.

When you leave for the day, the job DOES NOT follow you home.

Cons

Terrible culture overall. We used to have great paid time off but that has been decimated over the years.
    Awful pay and ZERO monies for real supplies and tools to help our population. Perks? None.

There are possible promotions but I decided to not stay due to the overall culture I spoke of.

Treat your people with respect and pay them even a little bit more.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding job with low pay

Current Employee - Behavior Trainer Assistant  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Behavior Trainer Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at AHRC New York City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Your monthly medical and dental payroll deductions can be as low as $1. The work can be fun and rewarding.

Cons

Low wages and disgruntled staff who would rather stay and complain than find another job.

Management was the biggest problm

Former Employee - Employment Skills Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Employment Skills Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at AHRC New York City full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many training sessions to keep you updated.

Cons

Lots of paperwork done by hand and gets lost when passed along to management. Its time to update the technology so that everything can be done electronically so there would not be issues of lost documents and management looking for scapegoats when things go south.

The management has no clue what is going on. They point fingers and demand the employees to do certain things that are impossible to be done within our abilities but are very quick to blame the team for inefficiency while they sit behind their computers on facebook all day.

Update your technologies so you cannot blame the team when you lose their paperwork.

Undercover Boss

I worked at AHRC New York City full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The kids are really smart, motivated, and energetic. A few excellent teachers in a sea of bad apples

Cons

The staff acts like contestants on a game show showing off excessively to win a prize (childish antics you would expect from kids). Aggressive behavior towards difficult children is absolutely unnecessary. Teachers tend to overreact far too often because they do not understand the child's needs. Most situations can be resolved with a different approach/mind set but negativity and intimidation tends to rule with an iron fist. Consumers (students and adults with disabilities) are labeled/thought of as having a disability and treated unfairly or poorly. Professional development seems to have no effect.

The minority of great teachers that you do have need to be upheld to a higher esteem. They should be rewarded and praised so their skill and practice are emulated. More oversight is needed at every level. An impartial eye is required to really see what is going on within your schools/homes/organization. A visit every few months, announced or not, does not give the total picture of the day-to-day interactions between staff, consumers, administration, and students. Think "undercover boss"!

Learned a lot but low morale environment

I have been working at AHRC New York City

Pros

Great PTO and understanding supervisors

Cons

Disorganized, low salary, busy environment

disappointed

I worked at AHRC New York City

Pros

pros people are nice, building is clean

Cons

the pay, they deny overtime and they want you to work hard with little pay

A good working environment

Current Employee - Social Worker
    Current Employee - Social Worker

I have been working at AHRC New York City part-time

Pros

Good working conditions and time off. Good benefits and supervision.

Cons

The salary is lower than it should be for the amount of work expected and for the amount of education that the job requires. .

Make the best of whatever your in.

Current Employee - Assistant Recruiter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at AHRC New York City full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company offers decent benefits. They also offer the opportunity for advancement so it will be up to what you put in and how you network. Coworkers can be encouraging and helpful.

Cons

Miscommunication between the big wigs can reek havoc in continually changing policies. depending on which department your in micromanagement can be an issue.

Worked for AHRC New York City? Contribute to the Community!