AIG

Updated October 25, 2014
2.8

AIG CEO Peter Hancock
Peter Hancock

Pros
  • Great work life balance compared to many other wall street based offices (in 53 reviews)

• has a work from home program that enables employees to work from the comfort of their own home (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance: It's slowly getting better (in 15 reviews)

• opinions/suggestions are not easy to get pass to senior management team (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

At times I had my disappointments. Ex. For 4 years I worked in a department where I was very unhappy , due to poor mana

Former Employee - Senior Claims Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's been a learning experience for myself. I learned and worked in various departments within the company (Insurance) Ex. Claims, Accounting,

Cons

You get to understand about insurance, What makes the company grow, What it takes to bring the compayn to where it is today

I fell upper management should get more involved with the employees who work under the. I felt at times that upper management does not always know and understand what we the employees do to keep things a flow.

Going in an Inefficient Direction

Current Employee - Service Delivery Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefits are good
    work from home option

Cons

Values of the company has gone done dramatically over the past several years, as it pertains to staff knowledge and experience, as employees who are very innovated are being let go and newly hired senior management are not on the same page, so the company is stagnated and floundering.
    Training - needs improvement

Internal career paths are very hard to come by. It is out with the experienced staff and in with the new non-experienced staff, who feel they can find a better, faster, and more cost effective way to get work done better, only to find out, it already is.

Analyst

Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at AIG full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have lots of money

Cons

Work life balance. Hostile work environment. Not inclusive.

Grow out of the big boy club.

Lack of effective leadership and constant change

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG full-time

Pros

work from home option is a plus

Cons

outsourcing partners selected to reduce staff however they can not complete tasks properly causing additional work, which management ignores. In the past 2 years there has been constant changes with no final vision or plan revealed to the staff, causing many employees to leave due to uncertainity with the future

Communicate & be honest. Pay your employees fairly

Rating

Current Employee - Underwriting Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Underwriting Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG

Pros

Given a lot of freedom a young age, some people have the ability to move up t hee company quickly, good balance between marketing and underwriting

Cons

Political, demanding culture, nothing is good enough attitude, often times you need an offer from another company to be compensated fairly, not a good training company, terrible bonus structure for underwriters, no incetive to perfrom at lower levels

Pay for performance

Self created career employer

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG

Pros

Energetic atmosphere, opportunities and career advancement are self-driven. These are great assets of the company if you are a self motivated, professional, driven and competent individual. There is a great level of professional development available by senior level professionals, for any employee willing to raise his/her hand and ask. The internal training opportunities are tremendous. Access to exceptional information is readily available.

Cons

Tough environment, competitive but rewarding. AIG will take what you are willing to give it. Long hours are expected and needed to accomplish the corporate goal. Young professionals early in their career should take notice to speak up, advocate for their ideas, these are championed by management.

pay special attention to your 'coaching' ability in order to retain and attract young talent. We need to train and retain.