AIG

AIG Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

AIG President & CEO Robert Benmosche

Robert Benmosche

Pros
  • Good working hours, good work life balance if you are working in a good department(in 37 reviews)

• has a work from home program that enables employees to work from the comfort of their own home(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • opinions/suggestions are not easy to get pass to senior management team(in 23 reviews)

• Work/Life balance not practiced, had a micro manager who added stress to your daily routine(in 10 reviews)

I would never recommend AIG to anyone - worst place I have ever worked

Senior Trial Attorney - Staff Counsel (Current Employee)

ProsThere are none but for the fact it is a job with benefits.

ConsNo raises, no technology, management to employee ratio is extremely unbalanced (4:1), unreasonable work demands for below industry pay, weak support staff, subpar resources, poor office environment/morale

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise or revisit pay structure, reduce layers of management, invest in quality technology, discard RPR, encourage work life balance and mean it

Middle management is terrible and the pipeline for new talent is weak

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork life balance is good, but don't get too comfortable as there are constant reorganizations, which don't appear to be improving the company.

ConsThe corporate functions (Accounting, Finance, HR) are very dysfunctional and senior management is far from being in a position to fix it. Middle management (VP's with some tenure) prefer to keep the Company dysfunctional as fixing it would cause job insecurity for themselves. Many mid-level managers have been with the firm for long tenures and they know how to work the system for their benefit.

Given that middle management is very insecure don't expect to receive any recognition for your work. If you get too good at your job expect to be pushed into another role within the company as your manager will fear that you will take their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a house cleaning of ineffective tenured managers who appear to be gaming the system to their advantage.

Executives in the firm really need to start measuring effectiveness of all initiatives that are set forth (not just rely on feedback from direct reports - double check any information they provide). Senior management needs to have a deep dive understanding of the day to day operations similar to management teams at other high performing financial firms. Only then will management be able to put forth effective polices and will have understanding as to what is working and what is not.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, career opportunities, perks and compensation.

ConsToo much to do and too limited on resources. Can be very stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees know more frequently how much you appreciate them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at AIG was wonderful.

Team Member (Former Employee) Amarillo, TX

ProsThe pros for working at AIG were a lot of discounts, perks, managers and officers loically were great to work with. Great fun working with team and and others in the building.

ConsNot enough training in some areas. Excessive overtime that interfers with life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into the training problems - lack of adequate training in several areas for most employees. Expectations to push a certain number of work items through the system in a hour. The pressure to meet hourly goals causes several mistakes to be made which creates problems for clients and additional work for employees of other teams to fix the problems. If less pressure to get numbers out and more focus on things being done correctly the first time for our clients would improve our quality of customer service.

frustrating.

Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsTime off policy.
    Work at home program.

ConsPoor management in the workers' compensation claim department. Field Claim Directors are poorly qualified and rarely earned their jobs on performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementField offices are run like sweatshops. No consideration is given to a balanced work life. Home Managers are full of yes people who will not admit to upper management the seriousness of the morale problems in the field offices. Field Claim Directors have been promoted based on who they were friends with rather than performance.

Good place to start your career.

ProsGood place to start but training and educational advancement is limited. Lots of work that can be valuable in gaining knowledge on your next job

ConsVery little advancement unless you transfer to a different department

Advice to Senior ManagementBe creative and get your employees involve in the decision making.

Admin Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsOverall it is a good company to work for; 7.5 hour days; friendly employees; clean office space. Most of the management are hardworking and willing to listen if you have concerns.
    Medical insurance starts on day one.

ConsLack of training in critical areas; sometimes not easy to know where to go to get answers to critical questions.
    Promotions rarely happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementA good training schedule for all new employees. The time-off policies and benefits are good.

Great company to work for

Media Coordinator (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLarge and profitable, great benefits, decent salary, positive culture

ConsPromotion opportunities can be limited.

Absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsWas close to my home for commute. The campus is nice.

ConsAntiquated systems, everything was done with paperwork that you had to fill out by hand. Took over 50 pieces of paper to hire someone! Background checks take over 3 weeks. Their internal systems do not talk to each other causing more work. Everyone was being laid off or fired in HR and there were no representatives to help answer your questions. Employees had no idea who was doing what and who to ask for help.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing and start doing your own jobs!

Revamping the company and increasing stock on the backs of the employees

Claims Analyst (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsTime off plan is good but there's so much work you really can't use it. Working from home has been good but it's how AIG traps their employees.

ConsNo one has had a raise since 2008. Scaled back on pension plan. No promotional opportunities. The attitude is if you don't like then leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize everyone will be leaving at the earliest opportunity. When the market turns everyone will remember how they were treated. To say "be happy you have a job" is not enough.

Worked for AIG? Contribute to the Community!