AIG

AIG Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 3, 2014

AIG President & CEO Robert Benmosche

Robert Benmosche

Pros
  • Good working hours, good work life balance if you are working in a good department(in 37 reviews)

• has a work from home program that enables employees to work from the comfort of their own home(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • opinions/suggestions are not easy to get pass to senior management team(in 23 reviews)

• Work/Life balance not practiced, had a micro manager who added stress to your daily routine(in 10 reviews)

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The tasks at hand were mechanical, thus repetitive.

Underwriter (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIf you're concerned about status, then titles are pretty neat. Plus, there is a high emphasis on networking, so there's a large allowance for dining.

ConsRepetitive workflow and lack of interaction with other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed cross-department collaboration.

Strong company...Challenging to advance...

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsProduct knowledge, pension plan, collaboration opportunities...Bonuses for grade level 20 and up are nice.

ConsLittle to no pay increases and promotions for even top performing employees. Constant shake-ups and changes continue to occur...Not a good place to target for employment at this time...More changes likely to come as company continues to restructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight harder to increase employees compensation. Especially when they are top performers...

Once a Fine Company to Work for...

Claims (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe pay was decent, as were the facilities. Flexible when it comes to working from home. There's always the free coffee too.

ConsHorrible culture. People are treated like office supplies. Not at all confident that upper management has any idea what they're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating people like... I don't know... PEOPLE!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A&H was a joke.

Underwriter (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-Good starting salary (frozen)
    -Big company
    -great PTO
    -ability to write a ton of business and gain experience.

Cons-I was alarmed with the lack of talent that management has in the A&H division. It will never change, as A&H management is filled with a group of friends that will always be loyal to eachother.. Even when their managers are poor performers.
    -take notice when most of the staff decides to quit.
    -Manager offered no support, and didn't care about his team working weekends.
    - everyone wants out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop investing in salaries for management that do nothing. There are underwriters that are working there butts off and have nothing to show for it.

Employees run amok

Account Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWorked at the Los Angeles P&C location for 10+ years before finally quitting. Benefits were good. Flex time opportunities. I would have liked to stay had the management been fair.

ConsManagement is really weak and refuses to address problems. Some employees take total advantage of the lackadaisical management oversight. Management discriminates (does not support) against minorities way too often. This happened quite often in my last few years there. The work environment was really unfair and led to so many minority employees grumblings and departures. I finally had enough and quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone fairly and evenly. Don't discriminate. Many employees want to work and work hard but not if favoritism is rampant.

Met really great people.

Operations and Systems (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsPays well, great co-workers, opportunity for growth and advancement.

ConsWork assignments can be uninteresting.

Underwriter

Underwriter (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBig Company good benefits and good management

ConsCompany is too big, so a lot of competition of moving up to the next level.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Decent

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe people can be very nice at certin times especially during tougher times in your life.

ConsThe compensation is not as great as it ould be. They could provide more bnefits which would be great.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing yiur best to make things better in terjs of pay and benefits and overall workplace atmosphere.

Global giant no more

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWorked in a small group within the larger AIG Investments. Investments was large and invested in a myriad of products. AIG was truly a global powerhouse. Although now it would seem that the company will be sold in parts to other insurance or financial institutions.

ConsLack of communication between groups. Little shared expertise between groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would have been to have better knowledge sharing between groups.

Blah

Underwriter (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIt is a good experience and you can learn about different organizations and you can deep into analysis. I guess it depends on what divison your in.

ConsThey have a super slow infromation processing. Their are so many applications you need to know about and filing. You will later find that other Aig locations use different guidelines. They dont have a strong training program. Its not the most happy go lucky enviroment you will find. It brings alot of stress and most people are stressed out which adds to the blah enviroment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining, fix your systems, and dont be cheap.

Worked for AIG? Contribute to the Community!