AIG

AIG Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 17, 2014

AIG President & CEO Robert Benmosche

Robert Benmosche

Pros
  • Good working hours, good work life balance if you are working in a good department(in 37 reviews)

• has a work from home program that enables employees to work from the comfort of their own home(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • opinions/suggestions are not easy to get pass to senior management team(in 23 reviews)

• Work/Life balance not practiced, had a micro manager who added stress to your daily routine(in 10 reviews)

189 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company

Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe job paid well and I liked my bosses.

ConsCompany has changed a lot.

Unappreciated and Overworked, but you leave with lots or experience.

Accountant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart People and Lots of things to learn, good benefits

ConsOver worked, unappreciated, low to no bonus, no room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to non-management

Nice Place to work

Accountant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPretty good benefits and vacation time is great.

ConsThe compensation is still below market but getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more career advancement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work in Progress

Credit Officer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPTO, Great People, Work From Home.

ConsDisorganized, Elitism, Separate Realities.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more indians, not more chiefs.

Loved it for over 10 years....then didn't

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt used to be If you work hard, create opportunities for your self, and can navigate big company politics you will be promoted and rewarded. They didn't pay the best but people loved to work there. This didn't even change during the crisis.

ConsThe working environment slowly became intolerable the last few years. They now pay better than ever and everyone is unhappy. Constant lay offs and reorgs. No job is safe there anymore. Demeaning review practices. Need to be cut throat to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending so much on consultants who don't understand the business

Was there for over 12 years. Every day was worse than the last one.

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey now give nice bonuses

ConsThere is no job security

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach.

Mad Dash to Nowhere

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPension/401K/Generous PTO allotment mix make up for the inferior starting salary (on average 10-15% less than other firms). Working from home is also allowed (although not encouraged on a regular basis).

Cons> Too many lower-ranking employees were moved into team lead/middle management roles following the near-crash in '08. Those promotions were meant to fill the openings left by the 1000s of layoffs since that time. However, those people have no place as managers, as they lack the organizational and interpersonal skills to develop their subordinates/team.

> Too many initiatives are poorly planned and inadequately staffed. Requirements gathering is a joke, task prioritization is nonexistent, and system redundancies are rampant. Honestly, how many time-tracking / project-tracking tools does one firm need to monitor its work?? Additionally, when you rush the implementation, how on Earth can you claim the taken metrics are in any way reliable??

Advice to Senior ManagementInfer from the above-cons.

AIG - Aggravation Is Guaranteed

Accountant II (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe employee benefits are very good

ConsThere is no work life balance in AIG. If there is (as claimed by some employees), it is not really implemented company wide. The deadlines are harsh as they are based on calendar days instead of business days. You are required to work even if the deadline is a Holiday or a Weekend, like working in a sweatshop.

The jobs are being offshored to other countries, there is less and less opportunities for the employees who have been here for a long time. Aside from the frozen salaries since 2008, you only get a "short-term incentive" every year based on the performance review. The Pay per Performance review structure is an anarchy. It harbors competition instead of camaraderie and teamwork among employees, in order to get that coveted "1" or "2" rating. It lowers the morale of the already beaten up spirits of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being hypocrites, you thank us for all our hardwork, committment and strength during the financial crisis and staying loyal for this company. But in the end, you stab us in our backs by moving our jobs to a different country. You are contributing to the already swelling unemployment pool in the US. Is "Money" the only thing that runs this company now?

Incompetent Managers

Claims Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCEO has made changes that have helped to curtail the demoralization.

ConsThere's still no checks and balance in play. Foul play continues.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your Excess Department. Discount HR Department's input. Have a third party analyze files and reviews of red-flagged employees. Advise the managers that when their "pet" employees spend the entirety of the work day on personal calls it undermines their credibility and the company's.

My time at the company

Conference Supervisor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLocated in the Wall Street Area, diverse company

ConsWork/Life balance not practiced, had a micro manager who added stress to your daily routine.

Worked for AIG? Contribute to the Community!