AIG

Updated November 26, 2014
2.8

AIG CEO Peter Hancock
Peter Hancock

Pros
  • Great work life balance compared to many other wall street based offices (in 53 reviews)

• has a work from home program that enables employees to work from the comfort of their own home (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance: It's slowly getting better (in 15 reviews)

• opinions/suggestions are not easy to get pass to senior management team (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

It's fine. Not great.

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everything is clearly laid out. There's a defined policy for everything. So you don't have the petty issues that you can run into with family companies.

Cons

It's fine if you like the corporate world with NY big brother asking you to spend more time creating reports instead of generating revenue.

Company culture is more than putting posters of smiling stock photos in the restrooms.

great experience if you know the right people

I worked at AIG

Pros

company values entrepreneurial mindset, with which entry-level employees are encourage to work with senior management with new ideas and such

Cons

I heard people get stuck in the middle of the career and hours are too long that they don't have time to look for something else

great learning experience

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at AIG as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

amazing work environment
    helpful colleagues
    great learning experience

Cons

if internship is converted into full time, then salary is very less

Great Learning Experience

I have been working at AIG full-time

Pros

This company will provide you with the right projects and opportunities. You have to be up for the challenge. Sink or swim!

Cons

Technology platform and innovative access to new tools

Over-worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to gain loads of experience. The pay is ok, and I appreciate the Performance Bonus.

Cons

Worked to death. The number or hours we are pushed to work are ridiculous. I am a mid-level employee that must work a minimum of 10+ hours OT M-F, then must work almost every weekend. And work every vacation at least 20% of my "Paid Time Off" .

Performance Ranking: Although I rarely receive less than a "2" Ranking, I feel that the % of great employees forced into a "4" Ranking is not fair or representative of the actual level of work performed.

Reduce the percentage of folks receiving a "4" Ranking to no more than 5 % of all staff. We have already let go most of the true 4's.

Investing in analytics and growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong leadership, heavy current investment to improve systems, technology and training. Opportunities are plentiful due to the worldwide scope of operations. Market leaders in many business lines with emphasis on customer relationships, innovation and greater reliance on science and analytics.

Cons

Current technology is poor. Entrepreneurial spirit is dampened by new regulatory oversight requirements. Heavy workloads coupled with the infamous "RPR" rating system. Can be quite political at times due to seemingly constant business reorganizations.

Clearer focus and communication on strategies.

Good career opportunities but below industry compensation

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good career opportunities if you can navigate the autocratic office politics, many 9 to 5evers make it easy to progress, large scope for on the job training

Cons

reluctance to increase annual salary year on year or match the industry average, a tendency to run the business on skeleton crews means long hours for relatively low pay, management focus on the bottom line instead of investment in growth

invest more in employee salaries, wellbeing, and systems and watch your business flourish instead of seeing a revolving door of employees

It's been a rough 6 years

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements. Great benefits. Rewards hard work and results... eventually.

Cons

Unpredictable. Frequent senior level power struggles. Pay is noncompetitive.

It's been 5+ years of "This recovery is because of all of you" and 5 years of continuous layoffs and reshuffling. Top talent is leaving the company for better pay and security, and getting new talent is hard when the industry knows workforce reduction is still rampant within AIG. Senior management tends to say one thing while ultimately moving in another direction - disheartening the workforce. Senior level power struggles and nepotism are a real threat to AIG's future and needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

GOod company

I have been working at AIG

Pros

Upward mobility is good to go.

Cons

Culture is problematic for mayny

Room for improvement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good mix and quality of work, relatively friendly atmosphere, room for employees to grow substantive knowledge base, good online resources, excellent time off policy

Cons

Constant reshuffling of senior management, lack of transparency, subpar IT support, infrequent promotions, lack of raises, responsibilities often not consistent with title/pay grades

Talent retention should be better developed