AIG

Updated November 19, 2014
2.8

AIG CEO Peter Hancock
Peter Hancock

Pros
  • Great work life balance compared to many other wall street based offices (in 50 reviews)

• has a work from home program that enables employees to work from the comfort of their own home (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • opinions/suggestions are not easy to get pass to senior management team (in 29 reviews)

• Work life balance: It's slowly getting better (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Happy (to have been laid off)

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good PTO and ok benefite

Cons

Got laid off earlier this year and for the first time in the 10 years at AIG I am happy. I hated going to that place every morning. Management was unmotivated, and generally everyone I worked with also hated their jobs. No raises for five years and rank and yank mentality. If you are the newest guy in a department you will be guaranteed to get a 4 and you will continue to get 4's because you are the new guy and therefore the chosen one. You can work your butt off and get nothing. Everyone is miserable therefore in a bad mood. And don't talk to your coworkers as you work because someone will say you are bothering them and we must cater to them. Every minute of everyday must be accounted for or you will get a talking to. Don't take any job offer, run.

Stop acting like you care.
    Raises.

Everything is okay so far...

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice environment, and friendly people

Cons

Pays below industry average, small opportunities.

"The Horror"

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Technically, its a place to go to in the morning.

Cons

Absence of values, true sales machine, zero interest in employees of any kind.

Unable to see above the immediacy of the fire they are handling at the moment.

No plan, no compass, no values. Read the rest of Glassdoor from hundreds around the world who have no idea who the other one is and it all adds up.

I worked at an extremely high level and never witnessed the absence of morals, lack of vision and true stupidity on daily basis as within AIG. They have no peer when it comes to these elements.

Please don't... you will thank us later.

Management doesn't listen to anyone so no reason to elaborate any further.

Love my job, doubt I get to keep it

Current Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN

I have been working at AIG full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good bonus program, decent salary

Cons

If you are not from India, AIG does not want you as an employee.

Stop outsourcing everything. Quality is going downhill quick and taking morale with it.

Potential To Be An Industry leader.

Former Employee - Senior Underwriting Auditor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriting Auditor in New York, NY

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding potential if AIG cleans up it's' Act

Cons

Culture of extreme nepotism
    Culture of extreme racism
    Unqualified middle management
    Only yes men survive
    Attorneys lack subject matter knowledge

Hire professionals with expertise in risk management and insurance. Get rid of all attorneys and middle management that lack professional qualifications. Address illegal behavior and ethics violations. After 12 years of working in the AIG mess...I would never again consider AIG as a potential employee until they clean up their act. You would think AIG has learned its' lesson by now. They have not.

AIG Life & Retirement - Fun Team Environment, Management Slightly Misguided

I have been working at AIG (more than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost, the pay is good and the benefits are incredible. My health insurance costs are lower than at any company I've worked for, 6% 401k match, and 6% pension.

The sales side has a great team dynamic and work is rarely boring or tedious. I enjoy more days than not in the office, and stress levels are low.

Cons

Immediate management is not responsive, and is rarely proactive. It is uncommon to find an open door to your managers office, and most of the time you are better off seeking assistance from your colleagues. The technology is also mediocre.

Provide better day-to-day support, and be clearer in your long term vision with your team.

Worked at AIG for 4 years and it felt like 10 years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AIG giant insurance company, they provide training to employees and the benefits are decent.

Cons

You're doing the job of 3 people at the same time - fast paced, high stress. The yearly reviews are based on a 1 through 5 scale (1 being the best, ready for promotion / 5 you are out the door) - you can be doing a great job but if your manager doesn't speak up for you, at best you will receive a rating of a 3 or 4 and with that said you might get a bonus; there are no salary increases unless you get a 1.

Supervisors and Upper Management can be too bossy and uptight, ultimately they care about results and not employees.

Couldn't pay me enough to stay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some brilliant people who cared for their colleagues and their work.

Cons

Too many layers of management, too few decision makers, poor strategic vision, no accountability, unable to execute on internal initiatives (especially on time or within budget). Too many poor leaders or leaders limited by upper management from being effective. Cronyism. Manual processes. No clear vision. Too many competing priorities and no clear direction of importance. Bonus focused on delivery, but not the quality or intelligence of the delivery, so managers were making bad decisions because their bonus would be negatively impacted if they did not deliver to their objectives, even if misguided.

Address known issues in a logical and strategic path for a long term strategy. Short term wins seem to create long term issues. Think of a building block approach, so fix the foundation and focus of the organization. Enable managers and employees to make decisions. Cut down on the hierarchy and simplify the organization to become more nimble. Address complicated or manual applications to improve workflows and customer satisfaction. Focus on quality underwriting.

Up and Down

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent products. The Worksite Term is a great insurance to bring into businesses, especially for people who have pre-existing conditions. Streamlining applications on the computer is very helpful. Get paid on a case in three to four days.

Cons

Pay structure has changed. No more bonuses.... (a small bonus is put into sales pool, you don't neccesarily see it!). Commissions are lower than other companies. Declining applications for no reason. Sending jobs overseas...

Change pay structure for sales agents.

Horrible.

Current Employee - Legal Bill Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Legal Bill Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at AIG full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Prestige of working for Fortune 500 company.

Cons

Poor leadership and inexperienced managers. Salary is NOT commensurate with experience and education.

Get management, leadership and people skills training. Realize a happy employee is a productive employee.