AIG Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
2.8

AIG CEO Peter Hancock
Peter Hancock

Pros
  • Great work life balance compared to many other wall street based offices (in 49 reviews)

• has a work from home program that enables employees to work from the comfort of their own home (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • opinions/suggestions are not easy to get pass to senior management team (in 29 reviews)

• Work life balance: It's slowly getting better (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Disappointed with the number of Women in Senior Management

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some smart folks who work at AIG

Cons

As a whole, the executive/leadership team is lacking diversity and qualified women leading different organizations. This continues to demonstrate that women will not be promoted and lacks diverse decision makers at the table.

Hire women

Complete lack of profesionalism

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning experience for those who doesn't ind rolling up their sleves

Cons

I never saw such demoralized environment. Managers treat their staff without any respect, staff is not trained. Review process is insulting, and not constrictive. Staff is not promoted within. No life/work balance.

You are only as good as your team, treat them right and you exceed any expectations.

Change is hard, but necessary

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very large, well respected company in the industry with competitive salary and benefits. Fast paced environment with good opportunity for advancement for those who can distinguish themselves within their area of expertise with both field and Home Office management. Significant flattening of the organization within the management ranks has been ongoing for the past few years - entirely necessary and presents opportunity for those in the right place at the right time. Highly diverse employee base and continued emphasis on promoting diversity.

Cons

Outdated technology for account underwriting, book and producer management - lots of excel spreadsheets for home office reporting. Multiple rounds of layoffs have taken their toll on employee morale.

Finish reorganization as soon as possible and provide as much communication, encouragement and appreciation to rank and file employees as possible. Provide a clear road map for the future of the organization and provide regular updates on progress and set backs.

Fast paced culture

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company that's made a full recovery form the past. Growth opportunities exist in many areas of the company and internal transfers are encouraged. Competitive benefit package. The combination of both the insurance and financial services areas of the business create a variety of interesting work and business learning opportunities.

Cons

Regular management reorgs can make it difficult to create continuity in your career.

Think more about the impact to staff and communicate changes more clearly during the reorg process

Excellent Company to START a Career

Current Employee - Accountant II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant II in Houston, TX

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AIG provides room for growth, offer training (onsite and offsite), and they offer a pretty good work-life balance. The company is very diverse and known world wide. The benefits are good with an excellent PTO schedule.

Cons

With every company you have your ups and downs but for the most part the company is actually a good place to work.

Keep your employees informed and practice the open-door policy.

work environment, growth, and benefits

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at AIG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits because personal vacation, major holidays and sick leave are combined into one PTO.

Cons

highly pressured sales environment; not much personal growth opportunity as Management highly cares about selling and growing sales numbers; definitely not much focus on employees' personal development. If you're good at sales, the commission here is good.

Strategic Program Management Leader - Consumer Lines

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at AIG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Global exposure, large corporate entity

Cons

siloed operations, North America consumer business is not a market leader

Better cross-region integration

More or less positive experience if you like to learn stuff

Former Employee - Middleware in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Middleware in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In the tech organization there were plenty of opportunities to learn new technologies because of total lack of management's direction. Awesome resume builder.

Cons

Total lack of management's direction and support. Couldn't push through any innovations. OpenSource is a big no-no.

Promote from within! There were talented folks there but dues to the above they either left or became as complacent as the management.

Many opportunities for advancement but must be willing to work long hours at times and take on heavy workload

I have been working at AIG full-time

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement and opportunities to work in different fields due to size of the company, good benefits

Cons

No work-life balance, virtually no formal training, a lot of "red-tape" and bureaucracy, unequal pay distribution among staff and lower-level management

How do I hate thee, let me count the ways

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good vacation time (you we'll need it)

Cons

1. Forced ranking. How can you give someone a review when you don't even know who they are? How can you say it is fair went 20% must be given a low grade and therefore they know they are next for the layoffs. How can it be that your boss recommends you deserve a 3 only to be told that no, we must have someone who is rated at four.
    2. Antiquated equipment. They spend millions of dollars consolidating floors only to lay off most of the employees within a year. Instead they spend millions of dollars cramming people into cubes so small that you can't even open a drawer without moving your chair out of the way first.
    3. Antiquated programs that don't even work. Absolutely no help if a program doesn't work because the helpdesk is truly the helpless desk. Put a ticket into the helpdesk and it just gets passed on to someone else or conveniently lost.
    4. Do you realize you have people just waiting and hoping and praying to get laid off? Yes that is true. Many older people are just hanging on so they can get a severance package. They would be stupid to leave but we know that that is what big Aig wants.
    5. Too much of management spends too much time traveling across the globe. Why do you spend so much money putting in elaborate phone systems and 90 inch TV screens? I thought that was for teleconferencing.
    6. New hires must have to fit a certain "pretty people "look. Doesn't mean they have the skills to do the job but they look good.
    7. Too much in upper management.
    8. Micro managed to death. I am an adult, I expect to be treated as an adult therefore I should not need a babysitter watching me every minute of every day. Nor do I expect you to go through my desk after I leave looking for something to hang over my head.
    9. Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs. More work, less people, less money.
    10. I could go on and on about how much I hate this company but it really isn't worth my energy anymore.

Get rid of forced ranking, give people the raises they deserve for doing a good job. Treat people like adults not children. Realize that not everyone wants to be king of the hill and there are people that are happy doing lower-level positions because without them you would be nothing, but those worker bees are instead punished for not wanting to be all great and powerful.