AIG Reviews

Reset

1,014 Employee Reviews

1. Good Benefits

I worked at AIG

Pros

Good overall benefits. lot of oppurtunities

Cons

No work life balance with long hrs to work

2. Financial Representative

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great products specially Index Universal Life and Guaranteed Life. AIG's main goal is to protect the interest of their clients. Very strict on compliance.

Cons

Compensation has changed compared with previous years.

3. Underwriter

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AIG (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong presence in the marketplace Competitive products and services Company has a good reputation especially after the $8B government bailout.

Cons

Limited training opportunities Throws you into pit with limited experience Poor salaries with small bonuses if a bonus is even given Limited chances of promotions Cheap when it comes to expenses - have never sent me on any business travel

Advice to Management

Proactive in employees training and development. Revamp their compensation and benefits packages. I did not see a merit increase the 5 years I was employed there.

Risk Analyst

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant, kind, and diligent coworkers.

Cons

Abstract and sometimes repetitive work.

6. Sr. Compensation Analyst

I worked at AIG full-time

Pros

Challenging Work, hard working employees

Cons

Don't value employees, very centralized

A Director's Perspective on the Effects of AIG's 2015 Lay-offs

Current Employee - Director in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Wilton, CT

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For New Employees: 1. Company pension (vested after 3 years) 2. Company-matched 401K (up to 6%) 3. Generous PTO (4-5 weeks starting, versus starting average of 2-3 weeks) 4. Medical/Vision/Dental benefits 5. Paternity/Maternity Leave (1-3 months) 6. Access to On-line Corporate Perks For Experienced Employees/Managers: 1. Exposure to a 21st century corporate environment (i.e. ever-changing priorities, ever-shifting deadlines, collaboration with on- and off-shore teams) 2. A chance to contribute proposals that enhance profit margin and process flow efficiency. For All Groups: 1. Working at AIG is still considered a significant “booster” for any Resume. 2. Working at AIG is still considered a terrific way to grow a professional network.

Cons

It must be understood that AIG underwent a period of layoffs during Q1-Q2 of 2015 (following laying-off 1,800+ staff over the course of 2014). This affected offices in the Northeastern US, Texas, and Georgia, with 150-200 managerial and staff positions being off-shored to the Philippines and India. The layoffs took virtually everyone by surprise, and no apparent effort was made by AIG to provide “2 week’s notice” or to arrange for an internal company transfer for affected staff/managers. Over time, this has resulted in the following “Cons:” 1. The sudden departure caused by the layoffs resulted in a serious disruption for multiple teams. Negligible effort was made to ensure cross-training of team members on essential tasks and duties performed by the laid-off staff members. Subject Matter Experts, Team Leads, Project Managers, and Information Officers had no time to ensure that their functions could be carried out in the event of their untimely departure. Once that staff was gone, that knowledge base was gone for good. 2. The manner in which the layoffs were carried out has amplified feelings of anxiety and distrust amongst staff and lower-level management. There is a growing suspicion that “they will be next” once the Philippines and India is ready to take on more responsibility. This makes it harder for management to effectively focus the teams on “long-term objectives,” especially when the “short-term” has been thrown into so much doubt. 3. Talent retention has also become a serious issue for many managers. In the wake of the layoffs, managers have reported that their direct reports are making numerous connections with Recruiters and Hiring Managers on sites like Linkedin. When asked, the direct reports merely say that they, “are keeping all options open.” This makes it harder to develop current talent when that same talent is driven to “jump ship” due solely to Corporate-driven initiatives. 4. The Performance Evaluation System (“Relative Performance Review”) has also again been called into question. The layoffs resulted in many with “average” and “below-average” ratings being immediately let go. Now, those who remain who received higher ratings face the real certainty of receiving those same lower ratings. That certainty will only further amplify issues with talent retention and driving longer-term team focus. 5. Achieving the same or similar Performance Evaluation will only become harder, especially with more work and staff being offshored to the Philippines and India. That dynamic will further sap the motivation and drive of the remaining staff, and in fact continue the vicious cycle. 6. The layoffs have lastly resulted in employees reevaluating promises made and broken by management. Prior promises of raises, position title changes, and pay grade increases are being brought to management’s attention, and are being handled in the most denial-riddled ways imaginable (i.e. “I don’t remember that” or “I never said or meant that”).

Advice to Management

1. The way in which AIG Corporate has thus far handled the 2015 layoffs has been a serious blow to management and staff morale. In providing negligible advanced warning and/or opportunities for internal transfer, Corporate has sown distrust within the ranks. Employees and managers do not feel valued, and instead feel like unnecessary baggage. Corporate needs to restore morale, and improve how it handles future related actions. 2. Corporate needs to seriously reconsider overhauling its Talent Management and Retention methodologies. In the wake of the layoffs, managers and staff are looking elsewhere, especially since only those with “1” ratings are merely considered for promotions and raises. If Corporate cannot offer market-competitive pay and advancement opportunities, AIG will continue to bleed talent as 2015 progresses. 3. Following #2, Corporate needs to perform market research on what other Insurance companies are paying for similar talent. From recent feedback from former employees, AIG is not keeping up with the industry with regards to pay, bonus compensation, and paths to promotion. This will limit the Company’s competitiveness, and hamper future growth. 4. Corporate needs to clearly communicate to middle-management that “potential promises” should not be made to lower-management and staff-level employees. Those promises have ended up getting broken, and have served to dishearten staff that has stuck with the Company through ‘thick and thin.’

Senior Account Manager

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits Work/life balance Ability to independently create goals and achieve them

Cons

Lots of manual processes Poor leadership Politics

Advice to Management

Make decisions and invest in technology so you don't have high skilled workers doing meaningless manual tasks

9. Administrative Assistant II

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at AIG

Pros

Meeting and working with former employees as a team player that worked.

Cons

Having other employees leave like me because of former changes in the company.

Advice to Management

I have been in the business world environment and have been with team players in this company. I and the co-workers had the accomplished each task that have been put in front of us. That part of each task put before us, was rewarding to me and my co-workers. Education is a plus but if you have the business know how you can make. Respectfully must be heard. Best regards,

10. Business Analyst

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Bayonne, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Bayonne, NJ

I worked at AIG (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team building skills, given the opportunity to work independently and make presentations to management. Great internship experience with opportunity to travel to other offices.

Cons

I cannot think of anything negative based upon my internship experiences.

11. Operations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at AIG

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

staff is stretched too thin for the amount of work

Advice to Management

hire more helpers!

Showing 1,014 of 1,077 reviews