AIG

Updated February 19, 2015
1.4

AIG CEO Peter Hancock
Peter Hancock

Pros
  • Great work life balance compared to many other wall street based offices (in 53 reviews)

• has a work from home program that enables employees to work from the comfort of their own home (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance: It's slowly getting better (in 15 reviews)

• opinions/suggestions are not easy to get pass to senior management team (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great Company Benefits, But Too Many Constant Changes With New Top Management

Former Employee - Attorney in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney in San Ramon, CA

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company benefits are good.

Cons

New York management style challenging in California environment.

Too many AVP's in New York constantly changing everything. Need to remember "if it aint broke, dont fix it."

Worst Environment I've Ever Worked In

Former Employee - Underwriting Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AIG full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They pay and the benefits are great! That is how they hooked me in the interview. I got a very reasonable salary with no experience in insurance

Cons

There is the absolute minimal training provided to Underwriters who need assistance. They say they will train you on the job, but then get very angry when you ask questions or ask for clarification, and there is not a central information location for employees to reference.

Also there is NO HR in the entire SF building..... it is a 1 800 number :/

The day I left:

I had just found out that I was never assigned major training after 5 weeks on the job and constantly asking about it, and my manager had also told me to stop asking questions and "know my place"

I got up and quit right then because I felt like I my manager did not want me to learn as quickly as I wanted to learn

Stop focusing on what your competitors are quoting at and focus on employee satisfaction for a second. AIG has a good brand but everyone I had talked to in my short time there had bad things that they secretly told me about the company.

Great place to learn - sadly the financial crisis may make other options more appealing.

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AIG

Pros

AIG is about the best company in the industry to learn and gain exposure to challenges beyond your expectations. The challenges will guarantee you success at any other company in the industry.

Cons

Regretfully, AIG has been hit hard by the financial crisis in the U.S. The P&C insurance companies have performed well over the years, but, the challenges that face the parent company and financial exposures may be difficult to overcome. This places a tremendous amount of pressure on all employees. The environment was demanding and challenging before the current financial issues and it has only escalated now.

Be completely honest with your employees. The business is based on the personal relationships of front lines mangers and they need to know exactly what is going on. The managers communicate directly with the clients and control the revenue of the P&C "crown jewels" of the organization. .

This just in...

Current Employee - BDM in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - BDM in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AIG

Pros

AIG is a great place to get experience and learn some survival skills. They keep you on rollerskates. It's a little bit "Do or Die".

Cons

too siloh-ed and there is much to be desired from Human Resources..from the Top Down! They also need better training programs, timely reviews, and better career planning programs within AIG.

Work on HR. Work on keeping your Employees. It's expensive to continue to replace people and retrain.