AIG Reviews

1.8
AIG CEO Peter Hancock
Peter Hancock
1 Rating

Pros
  • There is a great potential for work-life balance as long as you work out an agreement with your manager (in 53 reviews)

• Work-From-Home option given (if needed) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance: It's slowly getting better (in 15 reviews)

• Senior management doesn't care too much about their subordinates (in 30 reviews)

1. Claim Adjuser

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good benefit, big name,

Cons

senior management do not care about their employee

2. Underwriter

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AIG (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong presence in the marketplace Competitive products and services Company has a good reputation especially after the $8B government bailout.

Cons

Limited training opportunities Throws you into pit with limited experience Poor salaries with small bonuses if a bonus is even given Limited chances of promotions Cheap when it comes to expenses - have never sent me on any business travel

Advice to Management

Proactive in employees training and development. Revamp their compensation and benefits packages. I did not see a merit increase the 5 years I was employed there.

Constant flux, poor communication

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Salary, flexible hours, good office location and workspace, some middle management autonomy.

Cons

Constant staffing changes, rumors of layoffs, poor communication about what's happening. Home Office based announcements provide only enough information to provide what they felt was 'enough' information to calm employee fears. Company is attempting a structure change but is doing a poor job of implementing it causing staff-wide fears and frustrations. Consequently, all of the 'good' employees are leaving or have already left for better opportunities. Very poor communication within corporate units. Home Office Directors apparently don't talk to each other, or don't care what other Directors are doing. I spend 6 months on a nationwide team that was working on improving employee training and development when we discovered that there was another team working on virtually the same project with a different name and leader. Both teams spent time and effort to ultimately accomplish nothing!

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Good intentions on the part of local leadership doesn't cut it anymore. All levels of management should learn something about managing and directing change as well as beef up corporate communication skills at ALL levels.

5. Insurance adjuster

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I worked at AIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledgeable workers who are dedicated. Good outside resources. Some pleasant workers. Good celebrations. Some good problem solving. In the Bay area.

Cons

Low morale. Did not hire enough people to do the work. Disorganized. Poor management. Mgr. Would not resolve problems brought to her attn.

Advice to Management

They need to be more professional. They need to be fair to all employees. They need to be organized and consistent.

Worst Environment I've Ever Worked In

Former Employee - Underwriting Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AIG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay and the benefits are great! That is how they hooked me in the interview. I got a very reasonable salary with no experience in insurance

Cons

There is the absolute minimal training provided to Underwriters who need assistance. They say they will train you on the job, but then get very angry when you ask questions or ask for clarification, and there is not a central information location for employees to reference. Also there is NO HR in the entire SF building..... it is a 1 800 number :/ The day I left: I had just found out that I was never assigned major training after 5 weeks on the job and constantly asking about it, and my manager had also told me to stop asking questions and "know my place" I got up and quit right then because I felt like I my manager did not want me to learn as quickly as I wanted to learn

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on what your competitors are quoting at and focus on employee satisfaction for a second. AIG has a good brand but everyone I had talked to in my short time there had bad things that they secretly told me about the company.

Great Company Benefits, But Too Many Constant Changes With New Top Management

Former Employee - Attorney in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney in San Ramon, CA

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company benefits are good.

Cons

New York management style challenging in California environment.

Advice to Management

Too many AVP's in New York constantly changing everything. Need to remember "if it aint broke, dont fix it."

8. Great place to learn - sadly the financial crisis may make other options more appealing.

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

Pros

AIG is about the best company in the industry to learn and gain exposure to challenges beyond your expectations. The challenges will guarantee you success at any other company in the industry.

Cons

Regretfully, AIG has been hit hard by the financial crisis in the U.S. The P&C insurance companies have performed well over the years, but, the challenges that face the parent company and financial exposures may be difficult to overcome. This places a tremendous amount of pressure on all employees. The environment was demanding and challenging before the current financial issues and it has only escalated now.

Advice to Management

Be completely honest with your employees. The business is based on the personal relationships of front lines mangers and they need to know exactly what is going on. The managers communicate directly with the clients and control the revenue of the P&C "crown jewels" of the organization. .

9. This just in...

Current Employee - BDM in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - BDM in San Francisco, CA

Pros

AIG is a great place to get experience and learn some survival skills. They keep you on rollerskates. It's a little bit "Do or Die".

Cons

too siloh-ed and there is much to be desired from Human Resources..from the Top Down! They also need better training programs, timely reviews, and better career planning programs within AIG.

Advice to Management

Work on HR. Work on keeping your Employees. It's expensive to continue to replace people and retrain.

Showing 8 of 1,163 reviews