AIMCO Properties

AIMCO Properties Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

AIMCO Properties Chairman, President, and CEO Terry Considine

Terry Considine

Pros
  • Good training by corporate office(in 4 reviews)

• I love real estate and property management, as well as sales so its a great combination for a first job(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can't see the forest for all the trees(in 8 reviews)

• The work / life balance is very poor(in 4 reviews)

Great place to work with fantastic co-workers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat benefits, competitive salary, collaborative staff, intelligent staff, room for advancement, great company offered perks, amazing culture, community minded programs. You do need to have a positive attitude, and be able to work hard in order to go far in this company.

ConsCommute is a little long, (but that is a personal issue.)

Advice to Senior ManagementAimco has come a long way. I look forward to what the future holds as the company is trending in the right direction.

Get it together.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI got my license and certifications and learned real estate.

ConsAimco do not care about their staff in the MIdwest area. Hard to move up if you are not a white male. Dont match 401K. Excessive management changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. We know what's going on. When you staff comes to HR, don't make them feel as is they are o trial. Hire managers that know what they are doing. Get it together.

Started off good but turned very bad!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNothing, they treat the onsite employees as if they were trash

ConsThey cut the long time employees to bring in cheaper workers.If you complained they would say "we have pages of people willing to take your spot".Property managers are on the clock 24/7 with very little home life.I sat on 6 properties until they sold when they sold the last one, they told me they would move me to another one but that didn't happen.They stopped all contact with me and I was left jobless with no warning

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing things everyday and stop treating the employees as if they are trash

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Senior leadership is not effective and changes too often

ProsSalary and Other dedicated employees. Benifits are good

ConsSenior leadership needs to connect with the products and culture as well as the stock market. All they care about is the final line which leads to so much disfunction it ends up hurting the bottom line. To many changes in policy and the mindset to make leasing an apartment like shopping at a Mega discount store.
    Look at the past 12-18 months and how many Senior leaders left for other opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your field people, leasing consultants, service managers and local leadership. Stop slash and cut attitudes and let your local leaders lead.

The leaders at Aimco have good intentions yet need to connect more with all teams.

Director (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI worked with some of the most intelligent individuals in the business and I enjoyed my job.

ConsThe work / life balance is very poor. With the reductions in people and increases in workload, maintaining a healthy balance was not possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all feedback and change where necessary. Do not be afraid to correct mistakes. A happy, fulfilled team will positively impact the bottom line.

Hard to advance if you are not a well connected male

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsJust started a small 401k match. Working on improving company culture. Benefits are not bad. Most of my co- workers are very nice and easy to get along with.

ConsIf you look at senior leadership at the Denver corporate office they are almost all white males with few exceptions. As a woman, the opportunities for advancement are scarce. It is definitely a boys club. Leadership is quick to criticize and rarely recognize a job well done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow women a chance to advance their careers. If you look around you will see many women in entry level positions but very few in leadership positions. Allowing women into the mix would add diversification and improve results. Also there are practically no minorities employed at corporate.

Fun

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsStarbucks points
    Great Team effort
    has structure

Consmicro management
    hassle with make ready

First full time job after college

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) North Andover, MA

ProsI enjoyed the entire aspect of my job. I love real estate and property management, as well as sales so its a great combination for a first job.

ConsThe maintenance staff was always understaffed. That combined with a very old property caused for a lot of issues with service requests not being done correctly. Over 150 service request slip count was very typical.

Company with a lot of potential but unfortunately squandering it

Community Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-Opportunities to grow: Leadership comes from internal promotions.
    -Great peers: Collaboration among managers, no "not my job" attitude, healthy, friendly competition, backed by true commitment to each others' success
    -Knowledgeable, committed, accountable, approachable, genuinely caring supervisor
    -Challenging work: Accountability for your own business, managers responsible for all aspects of running the business, huge learning opportunity.

Cons-Short-sighted: Aimco makes decisions based on short-term fixes, not long-term solutions, including hiring vendors, employees, creating sales strategies and policies.
    -NOT Customer-focused: While Aimco talks a big game about focusing only on the customers & what will make the customers happy, the sub-text is Aimco is 100% all about the all-mighty dollar. Customers constantly complained about Aimco's nickel-and-diming policies, and guess what - they are true. Customers would say that Aimco's business practices are questionably ethical, and I would agree.
    "Culture": Aimco created and "rolled out" a "culture" that employees were required to "live." My big problem with this whole concept is that you cannot think up a culture that you want your people to "be." Culture is an organically occurring evolving organism that shapes an organization. An organization cannot shape culture. The culture that Aimco came up with was lovely. Sounded like a wonderful way to live in a work environment. Concept of "culture" aside, the culture itself, once forced upon the employees, was not exemplified by leadership. It was given to the employees in a brochure and an extremely poorly executed webcast and then tossed aside in favor of sales sales sales.
    -Aimco claims to give managers autonomy and control over their own business, yet fails to put the trust in the managers to actually manage their people and their business the way that works best for each business. Aimco operates to the lowest common denominator.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Listen to your customers; listen to your employees. Shut out the stock holders for a second and listen to the people who are keeping you in business. Then once you've listened, embrace it. Don't dismiss the negative as coming from people who are "toxic." Gather the smart, creative minds from the field and come up with some innovative ways to get the company to a place where people love to work and live, and not just because you've told them they are required to love to live and work there.

Greedy Company

Service Technician (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsYou can sleep on the job and get rewarded for it. They buy pizza for you every other month or so.

ConsYou are on call all winter long and on a rotating schedule. Your co-workers are lazy, your boss is slightly better than autistic, and the corporation is a money-hungry impenetrable conglomeration of legalistic sharks.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to treat your employees better, starting with a full 40 hours. Give a couple guys free apartments so they handle all the on call service work, and contract the snow removal so your employees don't have to spend the entire winter, including holidays, on call to shovel and salt.

Worked for AIMCO Properties? Contribute to the Community!