AIMCO Properties

Updated December 9, 2014
2.8

AIMCO Properties Chairman, President, and CEO Terry Considine
Terry Considine

Pros
  • work life balance, rent discount, leadership (in 3 reviews)

• Great work environment with amazing co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is not as regarded as they portray and changes are not communicated well (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management can't see the forest for all the trees (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

First full time job after college

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in North Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in North Andover, MA

I have been working at AIMCO Properties full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the entire aspect of my job. I love real estate and property management, as well as sales so its a great combination for a first job.

Cons

The maintenance staff was always understaffed. That combined with a very old property caused for a lot of issues with service requests not being done correctly. Over 150 service request slip count was very typical.

Company with a lot of potential but unfortunately squandering it

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at AIMCO Properties full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Opportunities to grow: Leadership comes from internal promotions.
    -Great peers: Collaboration among managers, no "not my job" attitude, healthy, friendly competition, backed by true commitment to each others' success
    -Knowledgeable, committed, accountable, approachable, genuinely caring supervisor
    -Challenging work: Accountability for your own business, managers responsible for all aspects of running the business, huge learning opportunity.

Cons

-Short-sighted: Aimco makes decisions based on short-term fixes, not long-term solutions, including hiring vendors, employees, creating sales strategies and policies.
    -NOT Customer-focused: While Aimco talks a big game about focusing only on the customers & what will make the customers happy, the sub-text is Aimco is 100% all about the all-mighty dollar. Customers constantly complained about Aimco's nickel-and-diming policies, and guess what - they are true. Customers would say that Aimco's business practices are questionably ethical, and I would agree.
    "Culture": Aimco created and "rolled out" a "culture" that employees were required to "live." My big problem with this whole concept is that you cannot think up a culture that you want your people to "be." Culture is an organically occurring evolving organism that shapes an organization. An organization cannot shape culture. The culture that Aimco came up with was lovely. Sounded like a wonderful way to live in a work environment. Concept of "culture" aside, the culture itself, once forced upon the employees, was not exemplified by leadership. It was given to the employees in a brochure and an extremely poorly executed webcast and then tossed aside in favor of sales sales sales.
    -Aimco claims to give managers autonomy and control over their own business, yet fails to put the trust in the managers to actually manage their people and their business the way that works best for each business. Aimco operates to the lowest common denominator.

Listen. Listen to your customers; listen to your employees. Shut out the stock holders for a second and listen to the people who are keeping you in business. Then once you've listened, embrace it. Don't dismiss the negative as coming from people who are "toxic." Gather the smart, creative minds from the field and come up with some innovative ways to get the company to a place where people love to work and live, and not just because you've told them they are required to love to live and work there.

No room to advance..

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant II
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant II

I have been working at AIMCO Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

competitive pay and relocating is possible..

Cons

,hard to advance within the company even if u attend their management training programs..cutting hours to 35 a week. There on boarding needs improvement

invest in employees instead of preparing them to apply and advance in other companies.

Fun

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

I worked at AIMCO Properties full-time

Pros

Starbucks points
    Great Team effort
    has structure

Cons

micro management
    hassle with make ready

It is a job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at AIMCO Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience working with AIMCO was ok. There was nothing extraordinary about it.

Cons

Constant fear of layoffs. Hierarchy is firmly in place so there is not much room for growth in many departments. Definitely no room for mistakes; no encouragement from managers. Culture is fake. The standups are like cheerleading rallies but when you return to your work environment there is very little interaction between the little people and managers

Stop taking such high bonuses. Reinstate 401K match.

Greedy Company

Former Employee - Service Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at AIMCO Properties (more than an year)

Pros

You can sleep on the job and get rewarded for it. They buy pizza for you every other month or so.

Cons

You are on call all winter long and on a rotating schedule. Your co-workers are lazy, your boss is slightly better than autistic, and the corporation is a money-hungry impenetrable conglomeration of legalistic sharks.

You need to treat your employees better, starting with a full 40 hours. Give a couple guys free apartments so they handle all the on call service work, and contract the snow removal so your employees don't have to spend the entire winter, including holidays, on call to shovel and salt.

Horrible work environment

Former Employee - Leasing Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Leasing Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at AIMCO Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There really aren't any pro's, however, I can say that the unprofessionalism of senior management in the field really prepared me for being the best property manager with another company. It's the one thing I can thank them for!

Cons

Too many cons to list, however, just the lack of real and true leadership. All of the smoke and mirrors that you read in black in white are just that... smoke and mirrors. The company does not follow their own mission statement or core values. A little annoying since those two basic things set the culture for a company. Looks good on paper, however, in reality is a cluster of idiots working in a political environment.

Cons shoulds explain it enough.

Wonderful people to work for, but salaries could be a tad more generous.

Current Employee - Inbound Call Center in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inbound Call Center in Denver, CO

I have been working at AIMCO Properties full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management team has your back and are truly dedicated to one's success.

Cons

Incoming salary is very low. There are modest bonuses but one must jump through quite a few hoops to attain them.

Pay your inbound employees just a tad more and the turnover in your inbound call center, which is astronomical, will drop considerably.

Disappointment

I have been working at AIMCO Properties full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None. While I used to find the work interesting and the people I worked with were true friends, all those people are gone, most laid off.

Cons

Wholesale selloff of properties and associated constant reductions in workforce since 2008 has resulted in very poor morale, fatalism and dissatisfaction. There is no joy at work any more as everyone is just waiting for their day to come to get the ax. The work is no longer interesting. Instead we are "given opportunities to grow" which means getting assigned work someone else used to do who was laid off with little or no instruction on how to get it done. When people are afraid to go on vacation because they are afraid they won't have a job when they come back it's evidence of a problem.

Bite the bullet and lay out a closure plan for the people who work in the segment of business that is being sold off. Provide incentives to stay to the end if you are afraid people will just leave once it is official. It removes the contant fear. It tells those employees that they are important enough to hear the truth and it shows that Aimco honors it's employees even when a business decision means they won't be part of Aimco for much longer.

The best property management training program out there.

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AIMCO Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I appreciate how AIMCO saw my talents beyond my experience and trained me to become a leasing professional.
    I feel the structure of AIMCO is the best for property management in the country.

Cons

Pay could be better in the base salary/hourly part for the lean times DEC-JAN.

When the company sold the property I was at there were no opportunities to move with the company presented to us. I would have loved the opportunity to stay with AIMCO. I was hired on but maybe there can be a future opportunity in place for those willing to relocate to stay with the company. Sure would love to work for them again.

AIMCO Properties Photos