AK Steel Holding Corporation

Updated November 9, 2014
2.5

AK Steel Holding Corporation Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Wainscott
Jim Wainscott

Great company operationally. Not great at managing people.

Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is the premier steel company, and operates at a much higher standard than the industry as a whol, especially on safety. It also pays pretty well, and when times are good, bonuses are really good. Work life balance is pretty good.

Cons

The steel industry has been losing money for a while, so belts are very tight and there are no perks. There are not a lot of opportunities for professional development. They also don't do a very good job of medium or long term strategic planning or budgets.

production

Current Employee - Grade II Crane Operator in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Grade II Crane Operator in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

money is good, benifits are good otherwise its pretty horrible.

Cons

shift work, freezes, management, overtime

Contractor for Lab unit

Former Employee - Contractor for Lab Unit in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Contractor for Lab Unit in Middletown, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Good pay and okay co-workers

Cons

Not into union workers and their can get away with any demeanor . Strict penalty for violating safety.

None

I enjoyed working with numerous professionals in a fast paced industrial setting

Former Employee - Electrical Manager in Butler, PA
    Former Employee - Electrical Manager in Butler, PA

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefit package and payscale was tops for the Butler Pa region. I found the majority of the management group to be professional , pleasant , and nice to work with during some stressful situations. I'd like to consider some of my former co-managers to be friends, although I've relocated to another city

Cons

The unionized workforce was at times difficult. Oftentimes their reps tainted the work enviornment with their over the top tacticks, but I found the hourly crew to be very good at their assignments

Open the employment ranks to former managers --they may come back with a better resume and a full plate of experience

Can be a better place.

Former Employee - Production Scheduler in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Production Scheduler in Middletown, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are OK but they must be vigilantly monitored.

Cons

Mistakes are scrutinized and accomplishments ignored

Acquire management training and take it to heart.

Toxic Work Environment (Culturally Toxic, not Environmentally)

Current Employee - Maint in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Maint in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is still 3 years left on the old contract

Cons

Heavy work-uniform requirements. Beyond the normal steel toed boots, safety eyewear, you have to wear eyeglass straps, hard hat, light on top of hard hat, heat-stroke inducing kevlar arm sleeves, clips for them which fall off all the time, safety vest which gets snagged on everything. Basically, you will be very uncomfortable physically every minute you're there. They even tell you which kinds of long-johns you can wear.
    Management get pressure from higher-ups to write people up for safety violations. One said he gets "brownie points for being a prck". So, whether you're a good worker or not, they'll want to write you up. This is why it's a toxic work environment.
    AK has also locked out its employees, so they really like to jam it to you. If you have a family you have to think about the company shutting the doors and you being out of a job just because AK wants a contract where you have a pay cut.

Sell it back to the Russians who were PROFITABLE without you. The oppressive 1930's management style only creates ill will and people do less for you.

Good Company, but need more work to do!

Current Employee - Union
    Current Employee - Union

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay for my college level! Great employees, hourly and salary! Union perks & health insurance.

Cons

As part of the union, there is this thing about not wanting to work very hard. About every day we get a few hours worth of work, then everyone stretches it out as long as they can, or hides till the end of shift. I'm one for steady work, and feel they are over employed. It is a rarity I clock out with a feeling of pride that I earned my days pay, this is quite discouraging and pray it doesn't lead to the same mentality over time.

Bring back family tours, the men feel you do not care about their families therefore reinforcing upper management being an enemy so to say (it's basic psychology). Start some kind of motivating reward program that will boost competition among the men. Have more work orders available to take on for ever department. Hire a company like Elite Research to survey the union employees and you will learn how to get 5x the work done that they are capable of.
    >30% of all I see is willing hard workers standing around with idle hands while the factory is falling apart, yet you are paying good money for every minute of this. You can not force fix it, you need to fix your image with them & they will naturally want what is best for you.

They are never wrong

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Middletown, OH

Pros

Always a challenge. Usually created by mismanagement or malfunction

Cons

Poor management decisions, poor maintenance, no effort to maintain employee morale, they are never wrong even when it violates the rules of nature, rude managers

Remenber the golden rulle and listen to your operators

If upper managentment like you, you're good. Otherwise, watch out

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation

Pros

They pay well and I have learned a lot. through the projects I am involved in. There's lots of hand on experience.

Cons

Employee relations not a high priority. You are just a number and they have no commitment to their employees. Don't have a bad day or make even a simple mistake or it could cost you your job.

Place a higher value on the employees that are in there consistently doing a good job.

Interesting work schedule and management

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Middletown, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great, miss them, most of them would work as a team player. Some cared less.

Cons

Schedules, freezes, union sucked, not an EEO, union sucked dont fight for the ones that need it.

Teach your managers how to respect the workers, not an EEO like stated.