AK Steel Holding Corporation Reviews

Reset
4.0
AK Steel Holding Corporation Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Wainscott
Jim Wainscott

Pros
  • Good pay for not having a college degree (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The safety rules are so stringent that it is almost a certainty you will break one (in 3 reviews)

• union sucked dont fight for the ones that need it (in 5 reviews)

1. Good people

Former Employee - Crane Leader in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Crane Leader in Middletown, OH

Pros

Good people, room go grow, and fast paced

Cons

Not too many. It's hot!?!!?

2. Shift Manager - Butler Works

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Butler, PA

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time

Pros

What a change, I have been in this position for over ten years, our culture has changed over the last two years, very positively. Our Plant Manager actually, talks and listens to all the employees. He is approachable and shows respect to everyone.

Cons

I don't have any negatives to add here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

3. Application engineering working in the automotive industry

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company that understands when unfortunate family issues may arise

Cons

Company does not have a good program for career adnvancement

Graet pay and benefits

Pros

Great pay and benefits like insurance

Cons

Management need better people skills

6. Great company operationally. Not great at managing people.

Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is the premier steel company, and operates at a much higher standard than the industry as a whol, especially on safety. It also pays pretty well, and when times are good, bonuses are really good. Work life balance is pretty good.

Cons

The steel industry has been losing money for a while, so belts are very tight and there are no perks. There are not a lot of opportunities for professional development. They also don't do a very good job of medium or long term strategic planning or budgets.

7. I enjoyed working with numerous professionals in a fast paced industrial setting

Former Employee - Electrical Manager in Butler, PA
    Former Employee - Electrical Manager in Butler, PA

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefit package and payscale was tops for the Butler Pa region. I found the majority of the management group to be professional , pleasant , and nice to work with during some stressful situations. I'd like to consider some of my former co-managers to be friends, although I've relocated to another city

Cons

The unionized workforce was at times difficult. Oftentimes their reps tainted the work enviornment with their over the top tacticks, but I found the hourly crew to be very good at their assignments

Advice to Management

Open the employment ranks to former managers --they may come back with a better resume and a full plate of experience

Good Company, but need more work to do!

Current Employee - Union
    Current Employee - Union

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay for my college level! Great employees, hourly and salary! Union perks & health insurance.

Cons

As part of the union, there is this thing about not wanting to work very hard. About every day we get a few hours worth of work, then everyone stretches it out as long as they can, or hides till the end of shift. I'm one for steady work, and feel they are over employed. It is a rarity I clock out with a feeling of pride that I earned my days pay, this is quite discouraging and pray it doesn't lead to the same mentality over time.

Advice to Management

Bring back family tours, the men feel you do not care about their families therefore reinforcing upper management being an enemy so to say (it's basic psychology). Start some kind of motivating reward program that will boost competition among the men. Have more work orders available to take on for ever department. Hire a company like Elite Research to survey the union employees and you will learn how to get 5x the work done that they are capable of. >30% of all I see is willing hard workers standing around with idle hands while the factory is falling apart, yet you are paying good money for every minute of this. You can not force fix it, you need to fix your image with them & they will naturally want what is best for you.

9. Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good opportunities for advancement for those that put forth the effort. Safety is not a word but a culture at AK. Great people to work with.

Cons

Environment is less than ideal in most locations, as is to be expected for a steel manufacturer. Training is not a priority. Pay is below industry averages as a whole. Incentive for salary bonus is tied to corporate performance, not individual or unit performance.

Advice to Management

Take care of those that work hard to make your company profitable.

AK Steel does a lot of things right and treats their employees well.

Current Employee - Engineer in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Middletown, OH

Pros

Health benefits and tuition reimbursement are very competitive with other companies. Promotions don't come often or easily, but the company does reward excellent performance and will provide new opportunities. Most of the employees are loyal, sincere, and polite.

Cons

The work locations are not good, but that is typical of manufacturing. Compensation is mediocre and bonuses will only be honored when the company is making money, which has not been in recent years. Training is not on par with many other corporations and could be much better.

Advice to Management

It's difficult to spend money that is not available, but I would suggest spending on the people. They deserve it.

11. Micro-Managing.

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people that work for AK Steel are good people.

Cons

Long hours, Micro-management, and very clickish

Advice to Management

Don't kill your employees with hours!

RSS Feed </> Embed