AK Steel Holding Corporation Reviews

Reset
2.4
AK Steel Holding Corporation Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Wainscott
Jim Wainscott

Pros
  • Good pay for not having a college degree (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The safety rules are so stringent that it is almost a certainty you will break one (in 3 reviews)

• union sucked dont fight for the ones that need it (in 5 reviews)

1. Maintenance Planner Engineer

Former Employee - Hot Strip Mill Maintenance Planning Engineer in Steubenville, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Good Company. Good pay. Good Benefits. Solid Management. I appreciated the upper management backing. Great support. Safety Minded and committed.

Cons

Not many if any. I had good experience.

Advice to Management

Appreciated my upper support.

2. Aside from learning opportunities from a few 'long-timers', not much upside.

Current Employee - Section Manager in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Section Manager in Butler, PA

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning environment. Wonderful diversity in work tasks. Long-timers are eager to help and immensely knowledgeable. The western PA work ethic is alive and strong; makes work enjoyable and rewarding.

Cons

Lack of communication from mid/upper management. Bigger Hammer management mentality. The perceived expectation of mid/upper management is to work people so relentlessly that they get frustrated and resign.

Advice to Management

You can hold people accountable and still be a gentleman about it.

3. Good people

Former Employee - Crane Leader in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Crane Leader in Middletown, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation

Pros

Good people, room go grow, and fast paced

Cons

Not too many. It's hot!?!!?

5. Former Maintenance Electrician

Former Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Dearborn, MI

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was pretty decent, my co-worker were pretty nice, the benefits were good and I didn't have to pay for my uniforms also they have a boot allowance

Cons

The way the company took over sevestal after they bought it... It was less than desirable... They came in and used safety policies as a way to punish the employees instead of using it to help and teach the employees

Advice to Management

You cannot come in and make the drastic changes that you are trying to make.. I know it is your company but you should work with the employees to help get the plant to a better place

Stay away

Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Detroit, MI

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time

Pros

None really, ever since they've taken over it's all been downhill

Cons

They promote safety and crack down on it, not for your safety, but for their numbers. They intimidate the employees, they get you on petty things like sending people to get drug tested if their shoe laces were untied.....shoe laces untied!

Advice to Management

I've worked here for almost 20 years, seen 3 different companies, this by far is the worst

7. money good, management not so much

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Franklin, OH
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Franklin, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great money and benefits

Cons

No life,always frozen for a double sometimes more than twice a wk. Management sux big, back stabbers,show favorites, unfair discipline actions, not such of an EEO, get no profit sharing due to *lost profits * however the salary ppl receives their yearly 40,000 every Jan. The union doesnt fight for ya like a union shod.

Advice to Management

Do ur job, stop harassing the workers, learn to think before you speak, u suck. Upper management stop stealing from the workers sayn u didnt make a profit,when u know damn well u did. Give them whats owed to them, if you cant provide a profitable business like u say theres a loss every quarter, then stop padding ur own pockets with ur million dollar bonus check,then maybe then those that helped make ur lifestyle, can get their profit sharing.

8. Shift Manager - Butler Works

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Butler, PA

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time

Pros

What a change, I have been in this position for over ten years, our culture has changed over the last two years, very positively. Our Plant Manager actually, talks and listens to all the employees. He is approachable and shows respect to everyone.

Cons

I don't have any negatives to add here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Little Respect for Employees

Current Employee - Power Services Operator in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Power Services Operator in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay rates are okay, but lower than industry standard for the licensed boiler operators. The industry standard is around $30 / hour and the company starts operators about $25 after incentive is factored in. 5 years in, you'll see $28.

Cons

The culture at AK Steel is one of "us against them" with regard to management's relationship with hourly personnel. There is little respect going in either direction.

Advice to Management

Steve Jobs once said, "It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do. We hire smart people so they can tell us what to do." Consider his brilliance.

Poisoned from the top down

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Mansfield, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance but nothing else.

Cons

AK wants them to be number one in your life and there is no work life balance. They have a horrible culture of constant degrading workers and making you feel that you can do nothing right. They don't want someone who can make the company better but want someone who is willing to hand out discipline to the union continuously and spend the better part of your day doing it. This organization is poisoned from the top down. If I would have gotten a quarter for every time my job was threatened for doing the right thing, I wouldn't need to work anymore! Stay away, this place is career suicide for salary associates. 0.0% chance of being promoted, skilled or not. This is a dead end company to work for.

Advice to Management

Talk to your shift managers instead of talking at them. Some of them actually know what they are talking about. Let them do the job they were hired to do. Promote from within. Who knows your processes better? Someone that's been there a while or some John Q. off the street?

11. Crane Operator @ AK Steel

Current Employee - Crane Operator in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Crane Operator in Middletown, OH

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Mostly good groups of people to work with.

Cons

Swing shift makes you miss alot of things. The employee morale is poor.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to tie your job performance to how you can get guys in trouble and call it "being safe".

RSS Feed </> Embed