AK Steel Holding Corporation

Updated December 17, 2014
2.6

AK Steel Holding Corporation Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Wainscott
Jim Wainscott

Interesting work schedule and management

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Middletown, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great, miss them, most of them would work as a team player. Some cared less.

Cons

Schedules, freezes, union sucked, not an EEO, union sucked dont fight for the ones that need it.

Teach your managers how to respect the workers, not an EEO like stated.

Good Company, but need more work to do!

Current Employee - Union
    Current Employee - Union

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay for my college level! Great employees, hourly and salary! Union perks & health insurance.

Cons

As part of the union, there is this thing about not wanting to work very hard. About every day we get a few hours worth of work, then everyone stretches it out as long as they can, or hides till the end of shift. I'm one for steady work, and feel they are over employed. It is a rarity I clock out with a feeling of pride that I earned my days pay, this is quite discouraging and pray it doesn't lead to the same mentality over time.

Bring back family tours, the men feel you do not care about their families therefore reinforcing upper management being an enemy so to say (it's basic psychology). Start some kind of motivating reward program that will boost competition among the men. Have more work orders available to take on for ever department. Hire a company like Elite Research to survey the union employees and you will learn how to get 5x the work done that they are capable of.
    >30% of all I see is willing hard workers standing around with idle hands while the factory is falling apart, yet you are paying good money for every minute of this. You can not force fix it, you need to fix your image with them & they will naturally want what is best for you.

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good opportunities for advancement for those that put forth the effort. Safety is not a word but a culture at AK. Great people to work with.

Cons

Environment is less than ideal in most locations, as is to be expected for a steel manufacturer. Training is not a priority. Pay is below industry averages as a whole. Incentive for salary bonus is tied to corporate performance, not individual or unit performance.

Take care of those that work hard to make your company profitable.

Frustratingly inadequate management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, KY

Pros

I truly wish there were Pros.

Cons

Dangerous, Poor supervision, Higher then fire mentality

Just shut it down or sell. Save some lives.

AK Steel does a lot of things right and treats their employees well.

Current Employee - Engineer in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits and tuition reimbursement are very competitive with other companies. Promotions don't come often or easily, but the company does reward excellent performance and will provide new opportunities. Most of the employees are loyal, sincere, and polite.

Cons

The work locations are not good, but that is typical of manufacturing. Compensation is mediocre and bonuses will only be honored when the company is making money, which has not been in recent years. Training is not on par with many other corporations and could be much better.

It's difficult to spend money that is not available, but I would suggest spending on the people. They deserve it.

Micro-Managing.

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people that work for AK Steel are good people.

Cons

Long hours, Micro-management, and very clickish

Don't kill your employees with hours!

New Management Needed

Current Employee - Maintenance Shift Manager in Ashland, KY
    Current Employee - Maintenance Shift Manager in Ashland, KY

Pros

provides a paycheck for survival

Cons

corporate forces plant management to continue to operate under dangerous conditions after being made aware of problems

need to spend money on maintaining/repairing/purchasing equipment for a safer environment

Horrible leadership and a terrible union entitlement mentality.

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time

Pros

To reach the required twenty word minimum I will list the following as Pros:
    Coworkers
    Coffee
    Paycheck
    That's about it.

Cons

Inept and unqualified leadership.
    Drag your feet, passive aggressive, entitlement mentality union.
    No value put on dedicated people whatsoever.
    No opportunity.
    No balance between work and life for those that actually do the work.
    Egregious bonus percentages to unproductive and unqualified "management" .
    (when applicable, of course)
    A generally demoralizing place to work.

Put people in positions of leadership that actually know the processes and are knowledgeable in their areas of responsibility.
    Remove those that are continually falling short and never held accountable.
    Acknowledge and reward positive performance (monetarily and with opportunity) and put SOME value back into the great resource of people that work within the facilities.
    Spend some of that hard lost cash on retaining the talent that matters instead of rewarding those powers that be, that are contributing more to the demise than the growth, with exorbitant bonus payouts and bloated salaries when we're in the tank and still facing problems.

Simply, do the right thing. We all want the same bottom line. Reward good performance. Correct poor performance. Make statements with good changes. Steward the company assets discerningly and invest in the properties and the people. Improving the culture and the company will show the hard working, dedicated and valuable workforce that the leadership respects the place and those that make it run and that will help keep the real talent.

Great benefits, not receptive to growth and change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

Pros

The healthcare benefits are excellent

Cons

No room for growth and advancement. Career growths stunted. Disengaged corporate culture. Very resistant to change for the long term sustainability of the company. Management treats employees very poorly.

Be open to change. Promote advancement within the company. Use innovative solutions to?maximize departmental efficiency. Improve communication with your employees. Train management on how to manage employees.

Good experience as an intern.

Former Employee - Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-A great place to work as an intern and gain relative hands-on experience and knowledge.
    -Above-average wages for an engineering intern.
    -No physical work involved, but you will learn a lot!

Cons

-The place is dirty inside and out. It's just not a good environment to work in.
    -The supervisors sometimes seem to view the intern's work as less important, so it's hard to get any help. I have been waiting for months for my original project to be installed.
    -Supervisors will sometimes hand down paperwork to the intern that they don't want to deal with.
    -If you break safety rules, you are at risk of getting fired.
    -I have experienced co-workers that are very vulgar and offensive.

You are way too close-minded sometimes about things such as safety regulations.
    Way too many employees are overworked.