AKQA

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
2.6

Ajaz Ahmed

Pros
  • You'll get to work on some massive clients and work with some great people (in 17 reviews)

• Lots of great clients, good budget and wonderful people to work with (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I know some other departments have a much less favorable work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Low pay, long hours, 2 weeks of vacation for the first 2 years (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good company, hard clients to work for, very rewarding

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

- great experience
    - never boring
    - challenging
    - only the best work there

Cons

- clients can be over demanding
    - work life balance can be difficult to balance

CV booster

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at AKQA full-time

Pros

Great people to work with - you will make some great friends.

Cons

Its a bit like the wild west in there, which worked when the business was much smaller. It now needs structure and investment to support its size, but that doesn't seem to be happening. As far as I can see it will continue to suffer from a lack of planning.

Get some people in who know who to operate a business this size/

Mediocre for the most part

Former Employee - Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-great clients
    -looks good on cv
    -a lot of employees are great, smart and genuine about getting the work done
    -the social life is good

Cons

- very, very high turnover. Such a shame they have lost so many good, but very frustrated, people
    - management.
    - HR are dysfunctional/not empowered or both. Don't rely on them to solve issues
    - lots of talk, promises etc and little follow through. The inspirational leader is a rare beast here.
    - planning- high use of freelancers, lots of personnel change and last minute deadlines that could be averted with just a bit of planning

Open your eyes and stop avoiding the obvious. Walk the talk.

AKQA provides good training / facilities for talented individuals to enable account teams to produce great work.

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent talent.
    Award winning work.
    Global offices/opportunities.
    Good culture.
    Good facilities.

Cons

Getting a little process heavy.
    Not as agile as some agencies.

I think they're doing as good a job as possible given the size of the agency. Continue to concentrated on hiring the best talent and motivating them to success/

Very good but...

Current Employee - Designer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Designer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, good work and projects, you feel involved into the teams straight away.

Cons

Projects don't come on a regular basis
    Self-Management (could be a pro, but it tires you at the end)

Look after the people you are working with.

Great work, great people and same industry bull as everywhere else...

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great talent in creative. Great clients to do work for. Perfect employer if you need a couple of years to really ramp up your cv

Cons

We can be a bit full of ourselves at times. Our management can be slightly out of touch with the "people". Late nights and slightly underpaid is standard.

Ace place to work. No pain, no gain!

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AKQA is brilliant! The people that I work with are super smart, fun and passionate about what they do. We've become really good friends over the numerous socials like BarAsics (free Monthly drinks), FryDays (all agency breakfasts) and parties - it's a very extended and diverse family :-). Benefits are good and there are lots of little things that make a real difference like free fruit, massages and ice-creams. The pace is really fast and the work ethic is second to none so you've got to have bags of passion and energy. I was promoted in my first year here and I'm going on secondment to another office soon so I can't see myself running out of opportunities here anytime soon. There's always lots of formal training running and you're constantly learning during your the day from either the work that you're doing or from the people in your team. The days just fly by and there's never a dull moment.

Cons

Working at AKQA is challenging.....it's got a reputation as a sweat shop which is certainly not the case but you will work really hard. Everyone is so driven and committed to pushing the boundaries so if you're not prepared to put quality and excellence first then this isn't the place for you. I can honestly say hand on heart that the blood, sweat & tears are worth it and it becomes easier as time goes on. I'm so proud of the work and I love working here with such awesome people.

Talk to us..... we want to know that you've got a plan and how we are doing. It's great that everyone is so laidback and non hierachical but we also need to feel that someone is in charge. The updates before Barasics help but we need to share more information, commercials etc.

AKQA brill clients - awfull management structure

Current Employee - Tekki in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tekki in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA

Pros

In short you get to work on fantastic accounts, benifits are good, fry up on a friday is cool once a month

Cons

management just push and push till you fold you work silly hours and get no thanks , coming here is like going back 10 years they think a 50 hr week should be normal and celebrate peopel who do 100hr weeks ratehr than go hay we have somethign wrong here.

get a grip - hrs spent does not equal good quality work produced , get people to work smarter not longer.

Good for the young. Better than other agencies, but still a media agency.

Former Employee - Technical in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical in London, England (UK)

I worked at AKQA

Pros

Good balance between being a large company and an independent agency - you get the best of both worlds.
    For technical people hours are not so long (but creatives are not so lucky)
    The IT dept. is very responsive and leaves staff freedom to admin their machines
    They win big accounts with the brief of coming up with good ideas, so the projects can be fun.
    More process oriented than any other creative agency I have worked for (for a tekkie, that is a pro :-)
    Staff tend to be young and fun hipsters (in production at least)
    A couple of years there look very good on your CV

Cons

Being creatively led can be frustrating for tekkies - you have to bend backwards to implement their sometimes daft ideas.
    Technology stack is set in stone and a bit mainstream: Java, .NET, jQuery, svn. No other options.
    Management often waste a lot of the budget, and by the time it reaches production there is little left (this is true of ALL media agencies, to be fair).
    Career opportunities are nil. Most people will leave at the same level at which they enter.
    They foster internal competition which doesn't suit everybody (that could be just the tek dept. though, which is run by someone from the finance industry)

Don't make promises about career advancement during the interview if you don't mean it, just because you are desperate to fill in the position.

Really great for your CV

Former Employee - Strategic Planner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Strategic Planner in London, England (UK)

I worked at AKQA

Pros

Clients brands, professional set up, lots to keep you busy

Cons

too process focused, very long hours, bad snacks

AKQA Photos