AKQA

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
3.5

Ajaz Ahmed

Pros
  • You'll get to work on some massive clients and work with some great people (in 17 reviews)

• Lots of great clients, good budget and wonderful people to work with (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I know some other departments have a much less favorable work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Low pay, long hours, 2 weeks of vacation for the first 2 years (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Innovative and creative spirit

Current Employee - Senior Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company ethos
    Strong purpose and focus on values
    Highly sought after brand
    Employees passionate about creating ground-breaking work
    High energy environment
    Awesome client list
    Friendly employees
    Good range of social events and encouragement for work/life balance
    Thoughtful improvements all the time to benefit employees and clients

Cons

Client list includes many of world's best brands requires resilience as need to be able to adapt to a fast paced relentless environment
    Evolves at same rate as clients which means constant change
    Not the kind of company to join if you want to coast or have a sense of entitlement
    Need to be comfortable with ambiguity and taking the initiative

Keep making the improvements that are being implemented. No company is perfect, haters gonna hate anyway, plenty of jealous competitors - so just keep inspiring with innovation and creativity!

Good culture with excellent people and product

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Has given me the skills and opportunity I need to further my career either with AKQA or in the industry. Lots of career opportunities. Many different kinds of projects and locations in all major cities keeps things interesting. Excellent brand recognition in the industry. Smart mission and good values.

Cons

Not many cons as most people super friendly. But will require work in evenings and weekends to meet the client project deadlines.

Great place to work if you are driven

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High amount of encouragement and responsibility to do the right thing for clients/projects. Culture is pioneering with people from different countries, all over world who want to innovate. Collaborative, friendly culture. Working with professionals. Management is open to hearing new ideas from all levels.

Cons

Need to be self driven and pro-active to design the right career path. Clients on multiple time-zones and abroad requires travel.

Please make it easy for us to own a part of the company. We believe in the vision, but would like to have ownership in the form of stock. Our career choices tech companies/start-ups that provide stock for employees.

Fast pace and worthwhile.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AKQA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Excellent work space opportunities for promotion. Manageable hours

Cons

Training was a little light, not interested in educating their employees

Factory

I worked at AKQA

Pros

Talented people, good clients, strong execution.

Cons

Poor training, uninspiring senior team, Ajaz is misguided and lost in his own contrived world of idiosyncrasies, never mind completely clueless as to how to motivate, inspire and run successful projects. His success is built on the backs of others, who has done a consistently good job of undermining, alienating and pitting against one another.

Get rid of Ajaz.

Opportunity to do big things

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at AKQA for three years and had the opportunity to be on some super cool award-winning projects and clients. The DC market has little to offer in the way of digital agencies that are doing truly innovative work, so this was a career-changer for me. When you're on a good account, the sky's the limit.

Cons

Some clients are much more open to "innovation" than others and it's frustrating when you're stuck on a less-than-sexy account. There weren't a ton of opportunities for career advancement within the agency, so I felt like I reached a ceiling and had to move on.

Career highlight

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have met people during my time here that will be my friends for life. I’ve had the opportunity to do the best work of my career. I worked on a project that won a Cannes Lion. I've learned it's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be.

Cons

I've pulled all-nighters. I've disagreed with clients and account managers. Typical agency angst.

Inspiring Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AKQA is the first agency that I have been at that not only has an amazing culture, but has great supervisors. It is a place that challenges me everyday and makes me develop my best work. Also, the senior management are big advocates of work-life balance, which you don't see at some other places.

Cons

The high standards and expectations can be a little stressful and lead to long hours sometimes, but you do get to work with some of the best brands in the world.

Keep hiring the best talent in the industry

Enormous talent

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at AKQA in the SF office for quite some time. I've been privileged to work with some of the nicest and most intelligent folks in the industry. I have always been given the chance to grow and thrive here, which is one of the reasons I've stayed so long. There are few dull moments, and long list of perks to keep employees happy. The work produced is top notch, some of the best you will do in your career.

Cons

AKQA is no different from other agencies - you will work long hours at times. There can be disorganization among teams (communication of expectations and timelines) but again, this is par for course in an agency (where deadlines and concepts change constantly).

Great first experience, but not getting much growth anymore.

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Creative work on Social projects. Great people/atmosphere. Great name to have on my resume.

Cons

Been stuck working on the same client for almost 2 years. Doesn't seem to be much room for growth. Poor management and lack of clear leadership.