AKUNA CAPITAL

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.8

CEO

Great place with huge potential

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AKUNA CAPITAL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great place to work, wonderful atmosphere and good bosses. The company has grown really quickly and there seems to be much more growth in the years ahead. You are expected to work hard, however the culture and atmosphere somehow manage to be fun and relaxed. Friday night drinks every week certainly help this. The career opportunities and room for growth seem huge, I've seen people around me gain responsibilities so quickly. Overall a pretty great place to work.

Cons

If you don't work hard and contribute it'll really show with such dedicated coworkers. You can't slack off and be lazy because the management won't accept that for long from an employee. It's really a place for those who want to push themselves and be pushed to excel.

I saw somebody mentioned the kitchen in another review. Seriously, if you want to keep hiring and expanding at this pace, you need to find more room for everybody. Also don't allow the great atmosphere and culture fade away as the business grows, it's the best part of working at Akuna.

Stay Away

I worked at AKUNA CAPITAL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Industry. Fast-paced. Company still growing.

Cons

Where to begin. There is no real HR department, and the company structure in general is extremely unclear. The company was a sweatshop. Long hours and no benefit nor compensation for people who decide to work more. People who are actually doing the work aren't being recognized. Its kinda like you're either in or you're looking in from the outside.

Take care of your employees. Get better management

Internship experience

Former Employee - Trading Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trading Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at AKUNA CAPITAL as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The interviewers are really nice and supportive. They are doing good business in option market-making with a young age of firm. People are generally friendly.

The training is fantastic, with intuition and practice of option market and market making skills. The senior traders are experienced and know well what they are doing.

Cons

The IT system needs some improvement, which they are currently working on. The office is a little bit small but as a prop firm it doesn't matter that much.

Very nice person

I have been working at AKUNA CAPITAL full-time

Pros

very nice person and startup company

Cons

i don't have any idea

Exciting times at a fast-growing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AKUNA CAPITAL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really smart people, working on exciting things.
    Growing fast and big plans for the future.
    Fun atmosphere in the office, you get to work closely with the managers from the start.

Cons

Pretty high pressure; lots to deliver so it's not a place for people looking for a relaxing job

I know they're looking for a bigger new office, need to do something soon because it's getting tight!

Big promises, No delivery

Current Employee - Software Developer in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Champaign, IL

I have been working at AKUNA CAPITAL as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Startup vibe, some friendly people, trading - if you are into it

Cons

Disorganized, no one really knows what is going on. Promised I could work remotely on hire -but fell through, apparently they did this to another intern before. Promised to keep me through a few more months but randomly fired me without reason. Seriously... no one gave me a reason. They said at-will-employment means they could fire me any time they wanted. Apparently I am not the only intern they have done this too. They hire big batches and then weed through them.

Be up front with your employees about how long you intend to keep them. Give them reasons if you want to let them go. Give them some form of warning if you expect it is not working out.

Great Energy

I have been working at AKUNA CAPITAL full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced with a lot of opportunities. Seems to be one of the few companies in this space growing and there is an excellent vibe in the office. You get onto the trading desk quickly with a good training program. Chance to interact with lots of smart people who are working hard. Good social events.

Cons

Things move quickly and there seem to be a lot of balls in the air. Could be unsettling if you are not cut out for that.

Office is getting full. Seems like there is a lot happening so keep us informed please.

Great company with start-up vibe

Current Employee - Derivatives Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Derivatives Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AKUNA CAPITAL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Akuna has an experienced senior team to learn from. You are given a lot of responsibility early in your career, as opposed to trading at a bank where you may not actually trade for a couple of years. Fun environment including a company trip every year.

Cons

It's getting a little harder to get one on one time with senior people as the company has grown.

Keep the company wide updates coming, it helps to understand the bigger picture

Meh....

I worked at AKUNA CAPITAL full-time

Pros

Some people within the company are great to work with!

Cons

Some people are not great to work with. Some traders within a niche group get more chances than others.

Listen to employees!

Decent company in a souring industry

Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at AKUNA CAPITAL full-time

Pros

High pay for juniors, lots to learn, smart people (ex-Optiver), a firm that is still making money, cool bosses (as long as you don't go overboard)

Cons

You don't really get more than one warning. People get let go very easily or leave, but I'm not sure if it's just Akuna or simply the industry right now. Afterall, it is the partners' money they're paying you. Industry isn't doing well, and the firm is not very technology driven.