ALDI
www.aldi.com Essen, Germany 500 to 999 Employees

ALDI Reviews in Columbus, OH

Updated Jan 22, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hard work good pay

Columbus, OH

ProsAble to work more hours by traveling to other stores if u choose. Closed all major holidays.

ConsConstant change in district managers. Long shifts sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a little more consideration for where people live and where they are placed.

No matter what you do, it is never enough.

District Manager (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsIt offers great experience. You are responsible for everything that happens inside the four walls. You get to change peoples lives. Sometimes for the better and sometimes not so much.

ConsLong hours, no work / life balance, constantly tied to your cell phone, always on call, no matter how hard you work it won't be enough

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your philosophy

Over worked, unreasonable expectations, most or all employees hate their job, high turn over

Columbus, OH

Prosclosed on major holidays unlike other retailers. medical, dental, vision benefits are low cost

ConsThis company will work the crap out of you and will expect more, little praise or appreciation. no advancement for store managers, everything is timed, Your scheduled until 10 and are expected to return to work the next morning at 5am. Moral is down and everyone that I have encounter hates their job. High turn over, hiring events every week

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a great place to work, but they never tell how well you are doing in terms of advancement

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits.
    Great hours for being retail.

ConsHardly get 40 hours a week.
    Never get a pay raise.
    They do not communicate well when an assistant is motivated to move up and get own store.
    I was told after 12-15 months if you peform well then you should have yoru own store, well that did not happen and they never really would communicate to me about my concerns for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome District Managers are great and some are just misrable. Same goes for the store managers I had one of the best for 14 months and then the worst for another 5 months, and I would tell my DM the weakness of the weak store manager they really did not have the power to make a decesion to get rid of them, that went through the Director of Operations.

Not a job for everyone

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Hilliard, OH

ProsThere is always something to do and you never get bored the pay is good and the benefits are great. My manager is great and treats everyone with the respect they deserve he has high standards and holds everyone to those standards no matter who you are and he dose not believe in a job description no one is to good for any one job and like wise no job is ever to high for anyone.

ConsDealing with so many different people in such a short amount of time really takes a toll on a person it is emotionally draining as well as physically draining with no chance of promotion past the management level

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure you praise you fellow employees they will work twice as hard when they know there appreciated

The low-down.

District Manager (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsFor folks coming out of college this is a fabulous deal. Great first-job pay, company car, lots of freedom in your schedule, aboe average length of vacation. If you have a blue collar work ethic it's not hard to do well here. Not a lot of promotions but each one doubles your salary.

ConsBe ready to work.... a lot. Also be ready for weekend work and lots of business around the holidays. You won't have as much authority and responsibility as you would expect with the district manager title. There is somewhat of a micromanaging of store managers. Dreadfully behind technologically, I don't even have a company email account.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into this century technologically. Continue to expand, there are a lot of people looking for exactly what ALDI offers.

just collect unemployment

Columbus, OH

Prospaid most major holidays and you do receive benefits.

Consridiculous expectations in regards to sales per man hour.
    complete disregard for employees safety, security and balance of personal life

Advice to Senior Managementlighten up, it's a grocery store. it doesn't need to be such high stress and high pressure.
    if customers were REALLY priority number one, you would have a decent amount of staff to assist them and still stay more productive than the rest of the industry. your employees are the lifeblood and that is not just a saying. someone needs to take a human resource class at aldi headquarters to realize that such high turnover contributes to money down the drain. constant hiring and retraining is not a good route to achieve good productivity.

Honest review of ALDI DM

District Manager (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsI have total freedom and flexibility in scheduling. I dont have an office to report to. I truly believe that ALDI offer incredible value to our customers. The growth we are experiencing now is unbelievable. The current economic climate is almost custom tailored for highlighting our benefits to our customers. Many people hired to be a DM take this as their first job out of college, so the salary is unbelievable if this is your only exposure to the business world. The training program is very thorough, almost too long. You don't have ignorance as an excuse when you finish training.

ConsWorking weekends. Literally 1980 technology. Decision making authority kept too high.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Technology, more customer service.

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALDI reviews and ratings in Columbus, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ALDI CEO Hartmuth Wiesemann. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by ALDI employees.