ALDI
www.aldi.com Essen, Germany 500 to 999 Employees

ALDI Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros:
  • "Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had"
    in 38 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Never Enough

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Pay and Benefits.....rewarding to see results of your hard work.

ConsYou will never give them enough. You get to 500 productivity they want 550 and so on. The DM's are young as stated on a lot of the reviews here, but some are very good, some have no clue what they are doing and need to call the director to do anything at all. The DM's are told "never give a compliment , their pay is their compliment", that comes from a director, how do I know this? I trained most of the new DM's in the area when I was employed at Aldi, and was told this after a trainee came back from a meeting, she quit shortly after. That is what is so sad about this company, the culture of abuse comes from the top. I had to leave due to family illness and needed more flexibility in my schedule, but one more person every day would have made the job so much better. I did not mind ringing, throwing truck or anything like that, and I have nothing bad to say about the products, never had a bad thing I bought there, but there is no reason to treat people like they do. And if anyone thinks I was a slacker who did not like to work or was lazy, I ran a .28 inventory for three years,had the lowest throw away in my district and was consistently in the three of the division and had a productivity of over 500.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as you want to be treated.

Clean out strategy!!!!

ProsGood insurance and pay but not worth it

ConsThere is something crazy going on within the company. In the last month or 2 they have been firing a lot of Aldi store managers... Like seriously one after another. There was nothing very substantial about what they did to be terminated.. I feel they are pushing hard and setting them up on purpose. Maybe they are wanting to bring in a new batch of faces to run the store at much cheaper wages.. But the amount of devotion and effort it takes to keep a store afloat .. Making less will surely backfire on Aldi. There is some type of obvious strategy at hand I tell you. If you are in a situation right now as a GM where you are giving all you got and they are threatening you START DOCUMENTING EVERYTHING... EVERY TIME THEY VISIT. TRY TO EVEN RECORD THEM TALKING TO YOU. Write your hours down and just say yes sir or yes mam because they are looking for one little crack they toss you for. It's dirty... And it makes me sick they would treat hard working and loyal employees this way!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic and thank someone for a job well done

Back breaking work, cashiers expected to do everything

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsCan not think of any

ConsThe cashier doesn't just ring up the items. They also are required to unload HUGE pallets of boxes. You are required to use a pallet jack, unload the pallets by yourself every day for HOURS. Usually there is about 12 pallets to unload everyday. You must lift the heavy boxes/items off of the pallet and the stock the shelves in 2 hours before the store opens. Once the store is open, you are the only cashier and you are still required to continue to unload the pallets and stock shelves all day while at the same time being the only cashier on duty. There are no stock clerks or cleaning crews. You are also required to it all....the register (1 cashier), unloading the truck, stocking shelves, and cleaning the store. IT SUCKED!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire stock people like every other grocery store chain. You will make your cashiers soooo much happier.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsTo make money for college

ConsThere are a lot of demanding task that are expected of you while in training. A lot of the pressure for the job is within the first few weeks of training

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job!

Great Pay and ok benefits

Aldi District Manager (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat Pay good benefits including comapny car with a favorable fuel expense policy. Ability to set your own schedule and some autonomy.

ConsBack breaking work and a major commitment of your time beyond 40hrs. Encouraging the managers that work for you is challenging considering the time you require them to work and the fact that Aldi frowns upon promoting anybody from the store operations beyond store manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider bonus potnetial for DMs. Open up upward mobility for store level employees and management.

VERY GOOD COMPANY WITH GOOD PAY AND BENEFITS

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI was a store manager,and I was very impressed with their training and the system in place that Aldi developed to run their stores.You worked hard and you were always busy,but I liked that because I always felt very productive and the days went by fast.They paid very well (but you definitely earned it)and there were good benefits.Great employees and positive atmosphere.

ConsWish they would promote more from within the company.District Managers were hired & trained seperately,so you couldn't advance from the store manager position.I was promised something by word and a handshake by upper management....but when things didn't go the way that they wanted,they didn't give me the deal that was promised.Seem to care a little bit more about the bottom line/profit,than their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within/especially allow store managers to be promoted to district managers-after all,they already have so much knowledge at the store level.Think about giving store managers a bonus based on sales volume increases,employee productivity,etc.Last,but definitely not least,care more about your employees,and when you promise them something,make good on that promise.

Ridiculous

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe only good thing about working for ALDI is that they pay slightly more than other companies. The only reason you will get more pay is because instead of staffing a store properly, you will be left on your own. They aren't "paying" you more, they are staffing less than the bare minimum the store needs to function properly. Instead of hiring 5 people they hire only 2, that's why you get more money.

ConsTaking orders from children who have never had a job before but are given an District Manager position from ALDI. Every District manager I have ever come across is approximately 22-24 years old, has never even had a real job before, just graduated college, has no life experience, and has a smug sense of self entitlement. Most of them can not run a store, aren't physically strong enough to fill the job description, bark orders that they are too "good" to do themselves, and consistently put down their store managers with verbal insults. It is the most unprofessional company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a class on business and take another class on business ethics.

Aldi is not the answer

Shift Manager/Cashier (Current Employee)
    Olathe, KS

ProsDecent pay and decent benefits

ConsBut a rat race to try to do all that is expected. High turnover and low moral is common

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to run stores with only 2 people at a time

Horrible company

Shift Manager/Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsPay and benefits
    usually nice customers

ConsManagement doesn't care about employees. You are overworked and expected to go a million miles an hour, while not missing or messing up a thing. You are made to stay after schedule almost every shift. Most of the promises made my the district manager during your interview will never happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of your employees, take credit for your own mistakes.

Overworked with no appreciation shown for hard work

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

Prosstarting pay is around 11.25/ hour
    Medical benefits are very good but I suspect they only offer it so you stay healthy and they can work you harder.
    2 personel days and 3 sick days after trail period. Paid holidays.
    401k which keeps climbing due to more and more people shopping there.

ConsGood luck getting a whole weekend off. I have been told its retail so not to expect it.
    Many of the customers are rude. They expect you to bow and kiss their feet.
    No communication between anyone. The district manager is a micromanaging control freak who has no real concept of running a store except what he put on paper in college.
    Expectations are totally warped. The 25 something customer buying the gas grill cant lift the dam thing in their car but its expected of us to do it for them. i didnt sign up to be a dam mover. If the cust cant do it themselves then bring someone who can help.
    after putting in 23 hours in two day, god forbid if you are ever thanked for the extra time. I sure as hell wasnt. In a nutshell, if you have any preconcieved ideas about how great working at aldi is, just think the opposite and read each and every other review in this web site because it will give you a pretty good picture of what it really is like. Are we all angry ex employees who have been fired??No, some of us still work for the company because we have bills and need the money to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead each and every one of these reviews. It will show you how the majority of employees are miserable and take note of their complaints.
    Will this portion ever get to management....??????? Hell no but it gives prospective employees food for thought before they apply are accept a job offer

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALDI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ALDI CEO Hartmuth Wiesemann. All 427 reviews posted anonymously by ALDI employees.