ALDI

www.aldi.com

ALDI Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros
  • Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees(in 38 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed(in 24 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had(in 40 reviews)

Great Company

ProsGreat Benefits, Great Pay, Great time off, great coworkers

ConsThere are no cons so far.

Good if you are a hard worker

Warehouse Selector (Current Employee) Warrington, FL

ProsGood company generally work life is good and pay is good for job

ConsTo many staff turnover, - Now can't be bothered to learn agency staff names as they go through too many.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry keep some good agency staff in company and show staff that you want to keep people instead of doing the 'There always be people looking for work'

Aldi is not for everyone...

Shift Manager/Cashier (Current Employee) Fredericksburg, VA

ProsGreat pay and benefits, 401k, paid vacation time, personal and sick days.

ConsAfter working for this company for 6 years now, I've had my fair share of the Aldi Ups and Downs. YOU WILL WORK EXTREMELY HARD AND PUSH YOURSELF TO ITS LIMITS! Our store has been through 5 Store Managers, 7 District Managers and 2 Director's of Operations since I have been employed here. Each one is going to have their own ways of doing things and their expectations will be different from the last. I have had the pleasure of working with DM's that would compliment your work everyday and I've worked with Dm's that have laughed in my face. I've worked with Store Managers that have taught me very valuable ways of running my shifts and I've worked with Store Managers that our cashiers would run circles around. I guess your work experience here will depend on who your management is and their work ethic. Aldi does expect a lot from their employees which is why they pay you higher than other retail. I have seen many men hired that only lasted 3-4 days because of the amount of work to be completed in their 8 hour shift. I could sit here and type a book on my experiences at Aldi but bottom line I honestly feel like it's whoever training you that's going to determine if you like it here or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompliment compliment compliment when needed! This is what gives us the motivation we need to continue to do good work. When improvement is needed, let us know but please don't make us feel like 1st graders. I would also say that Store Managers should be allowed to be promoted to District Managers. I have watched a store manager of mine do the same GREAT JOB everyday for years, but with what the job entails, it would make it impossible to retire with Aldi.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked to death

Shift Manager (Former Employee)

ProsHolidays off, more money than many other jobs in the area, had insurance (before Obamacare), "management" opportunity

ConsLittle to no support from upper management, extreme working conditions, can't use partial sick time/personal time/vacation- must use whole days and vacation=Monday-Sunday... no exceptions, severely understaffed but expectations of your work continue to rise, especially managers- there is no break involved sometimes... I never received a lunch in my 2 and a half years employed there- including working 10 hour shifts. The "Meal" key on the time clock is actually disabled haha. They own your schedule- can't have a 2nd job, "managers" end up on the floor alone as everyone else is cashiering - who do you think has to do everything?

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice for anyone that works there- leave. You can find the money elsewhere (I made more as a parttime bartender than as a Shift Leader at ALDI) and the benefits aren't that great. In 2 and a half years I filed 4 workers comp claims (all of them accepted) which makes a grand total of 4 in my life... no breaks, no lunches, time off requests may or may not be accepted... and go ahead and try to call in sick! Good luck! You, the employees, are better than that crap. It's time you took your work ethic to somewhere it will be appreciated. Advice to upper management- don't forget you, and your employees, are human. Don't let them beat that out of you. Because they will...

Never Enough

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Pay and Benefits.....rewarding to see results of your hard work.

ConsYou will never give them enough. You get to 500 productivity they want 550 and so on. The DM's are young as stated on a lot of the reviews here, but some are very good, some have no clue what they are doing and need to call the director to do anything at all. The DM's are told "never give a compliment , their pay is their compliment", that comes from a director, how do I know this? I trained most of the new DM's in the area when I was employed at Aldi, and was told this after a trainee came back from a meeting, she quit shortly after. That is what is so sad about this company, the culture of abuse comes from the top. I had to leave due to family illness and needed more flexibility in my schedule, but one more person every day would have made the job so much better. I did not mind ringing, throwing truck or anything like that, and I have nothing bad to say about the products, never had a bad thing I bought there, but there is no reason to treat people like they do. And if anyone thinks I was a slacker who did not like to work or was lazy, I ran a .28 inventory for three years,had the lowest throw away in my district and was consistently in the three of the division and had a productivity of over 500.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as you want to be treated.

Back breaking work, cashiers expected to do everything

Cashier (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsCan not think of any

ConsThe cashier doesn't just ring up the items. They also are required to unload HUGE pallets of boxes. You are required to use a pallet jack, unload the pallets by yourself every day for HOURS. Usually there is about 12 pallets to unload everyday. You must lift the heavy boxes/items off of the pallet and the stock the shelves in 2 hours before the store opens. Once the store is open, you are the only cashier and you are still required to continue to unload the pallets and stock shelves all day while at the same time being the only cashier on duty. There are no stock clerks or cleaning crews. You are also required to it all....the register (1 cashier), unloading the truck, stocking shelves, and cleaning the store. IT SUCKED!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire stock people like every other grocery store chain. You will make your cashiers soooo much happier.

Clean out strategy!!!!

ProsGood insurance and pay but not worth it

ConsThere is something crazy going on within the company. In the last month or 2 they have been firing a lot of Aldi store managers... Like seriously one after another. There was nothing very substantial about what they did to be terminated.. I feel they are pushing hard and setting them up on purpose. Maybe they are wanting to bring in a new batch of faces to run the store at much cheaper wages.. But the amount of devotion and effort it takes to keep a store afloat .. Making less will surely backfire on Aldi. There is some type of obvious strategy at hand I tell you. If you are in a situation right now as a GM where you are giving all you got and they are threatening you START DOCUMENTING EVERYTHING... EVERY TIME THEY VISIT. TRY TO EVEN RECORD THEM TALKING TO YOU. Write your hours down and just say yes sir or yes mam because they are looking for one little crack they toss you for. It's dirty... And it makes me sick they would treat hard working and loyal employees this way!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic and thank someone for a job well done

Great Pay and ok benefits

Aldi District Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat Pay good benefits including comapny car with a favorable fuel expense policy. Ability to set your own schedule and some autonomy.

ConsBack breaking work and a major commitment of your time beyond 40hrs. Encouraging the managers that work for you is challenging considering the time you require them to work and the fact that Aldi frowns upon promoting anybody from the store operations beyond store manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider bonus potnetial for DMs. Open up upward mobility for store level employees and management.

You work hard and get paid well for it.

Cashier/Shift Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFast paced work makes the days go by very quickly. 6am early start to your shift means you also get off early, sometimes before noon if everything is done. The pay and benefits are great. I have yet to find a company that even comes close to what ALDI has to offer an hourly employee. If you like to work hard and work with others that do too, ALDI is a great job.

ConsHigh turnover - Unfortunately hundreds of people apply for a job at ALDI because they think they can sit down all day at work but the job is far more demanding. Most people quit within 6 months to a year because they find out it’s much harder than they had expected.

VERY GOOD COMPANY WITH GOOD PAY AND BENEFITS

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI was a store manager,and I was very impressed with their training and the system in place that Aldi developed to run their stores.You worked hard and you were always busy,but I liked that because I always felt very productive and the days went by fast.They paid very well (but you definitely earned it)and there were good benefits.Great employees and positive atmosphere.

ConsWish they would promote more from within the company.District Managers were hired & trained seperately,so you couldn't advance from the store manager position.I was promised something by word and a handshake by upper management....but when things didn't go the way that they wanted,they didn't give me the deal that was promised.Seem to care a little bit more about the bottom line/profit,than their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within/especially allow store managers to be promoted to district managers-after all,they already have so much knowledge at the store level.Think about giving store managers a bonus based on sales volume increases,employee productivity,etc.Last,but definitely not least,care more about your employees,and when you promise them something,make good on that promise.

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!