ALDI
www.aldi.com Essen, Germany 500 to 999 Employees

ALDI Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros:
  • "Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had"
    in 38 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent place to work if you're willing to put in the work

Store Associate (Current Employee)
    Oak Ridge, TN

Pros-Good starting wages and benefits
    -If you're a good worker the Store Manager will give you the earlier shifts, which results in getting off early (haven't had to close in about a month).
    -They Store Manager will also help you to get promoted (which is in the works now).

ConsI have the fastest ring time in the store and by far faster than anybody else, and no compensation for it. The hours can fluctuate depending on how well the store is doing unless you are a Store Manager or MT.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your employees that have the fast ring times, I have been at the top since the store opened and I just get a good job every once in a while. Other than that, I am happy with the store and the direction I am headed with the store!

Aldi has been a great place to work in my experience, a perfect part-time job for college students

ProsFlexible hours and above average hourly rate for a part time job

ConsThe duration of the shifts is not flexible, every one is at least 8 hours
    The work is hard, you definitely earn your high hourly wage

District Manager trainee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefit with company car

ConsLong work hours, no support system and micromanaged system

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Newburgh, NY

ProsIf you like verbal abuse, no family life, being over worked. Benefits health ins etc are good. The ONLY good thing about the comp

ConsGet hurt on the job theyll tell you youre lieing and try not to give you workers comp. Store management is lazy, racist and down right rude to employees and customers. Pay starts well but once youre sucked in, full time can be as much as 20 hrs a wk. There is absolutely no chance in having a life. Dms are clueless

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn people skills and some manners

I loved my job and the responsibility that came with it.

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent pay and benefits. I was fortunate to have worked many years with a talented group. This position trusts leaders to make important decisions, allows autonomy and flexibility. I loved the enormous responsibility and taking part in projects that impacted the entire company.

ConsMy first 3 direct leaders were excellent. Very motivating and passionate about their jobs. They challenged me to seek continuous improvement and believed in my ability. My last direct leader drained my motivation because she didn't have the backbone to be the leader she was promoted to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever lose sight of how hard employees have to work. Ensure you have leaders in place at all levels who take ownership in the position. Employees can detect a leader who isn't devoted and who is only there to do the minimum. It is frustrating to follow a leader because you have to; because they have the title and you have no choice. It is far more productive to follow a leader because you want to; because of what that leader does for you and for what they do for the company.

Brutal

Cashier/Shift Manager (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

ProsThe pay was decent when you were given shift manager hours and the benefits were also very good. We were given a decent amount of vacation time and the store closes relatively early. You get to sit down when you're at the register.

ConsWorking at Aldi is intense physical labor and the work is thankless. Cashier pay starts at $10 and shift managers make $5 extra dollars per hour when they are running the shift. That sounds nice, right? Well in reality, only one person can be clocked in as shift manager at a time. So when they store manager is there, he automatically gets the shift. He will schedule himself 40 to 50 hours, so the only hope you have of getting shift hours is when he/she isn't there; however, often Aldi will have 5, 6, and 7 different shift managers, so you are all fighting each other to get the shift for yourself or else you're stuck making cashier wages while you are there. The majority of employees there are women, and the store and assistant managers are usually men. It always seemed to me like this was done on purpose because they think women are more submissive and easier to control. We would be scheduled to come in as early as 5 a.m. and stock the truck. Usually there were only 3 people scheduled to do this. This labor is very hard on the body. You would be expected to stock not only grocery, but cooler, freezer, and produce. Every product at Aldi is stocked on the shelf in boxes. Manyof these boxes weight at least 10-20 pounds (sometimes up to 50 lbs) and often you have to chuck them up to get them to the right spot on the rack. After working there for 5 1/2 years, I had developed a bad case of carpal tunnel from all of the heavy lifting. Aldi keeps a skeletal staff, perhaps only having 8-10 employees at each store. Most of thetime there would be only 4 or 5 people working in the store at one time. That meant that if 1 person called out sick, everyone else would have to make up for their work and would often be stuck there hours and hours late trying to get everything caught up. Working as a shift manager, I was often on my feet for 10-12 hours at a time without being able to take a break. I would say the worst part about it is how much management does not care about you as an employee. You are simply the six-digit number that you clocked in with and nothing more. Our manager would constantly call us in on our days off when he didn't feel like working and would have us doing back-breaking work without rotating certain tasks to certain employees. Everything there was arbitrary and played by favoritism. Our work was never complimented, only criticized. The bosses didn't care if you were sick or had a death in the family, or if anything urgent had come up. They would bully you to come into work even if you had a real emergency and if you didn't come in, you would be punished by being made to do the hardest tasks there and work the worst hours. The store manager at my location had been there for so long, that he no longer had any accountability with upper management. He could do or act however he wanted and it was impossible to talk to upper management about it without him finding out. Even if they did find out, they would never believe any employee over him. It was next to impossible to get a full weekend off work, even if you tried to request it months in advance. Many times If we tried to switch shifts with another person, the store manager would intervene and say no. Again, completely based on favoritism and bias. The district manager would stop in frequently and nit-pick everything going on. A lot of these times, we didn't have enough people scheduled or someone had called in sick or we were having a record sales day, and it was nearly impossible to catch up, but he had no sympathy. He would make people skip their breaks just so we could "catch" the floor up to his perfect standards. I would have loved to see any of the district managers we had over the years get off their butts, roll up their sleeves, and attempt to run that store for 2 hours. There were at least 2 district managers at my location that were having sexual affairs with staff members. At lot of the equipment we used was over a decade old and had been falling apart for years, but management would not buy us new stuff. If out store manager spent over X amount of dollars in store expenses, he wouldn't get his bonus for the end of the year; therefore, he would push equipment as far as he could, no matter how much more difficult it made our job. It always irritated me so much because Aldi is a billion dollar company, but they can't shell out a few thousand to give their employees a decent environment to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead what I wrote above and try to make as many changes as you can, because there was not a single girl I worked with over the years that didn't despise that job more than anything and wish they could get out. The job market in Greenville isn't great right now, and that was one reason so many of us were stuck there for so long.

Great pay but you will have no life

District Manager (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsPay, Company car, make your own schedule and good vacation time, decent training program

ConsYOU ARE ALWAYS WORKING! You will get calls all day long even when off, the company is in the Stone Age when it comes to technology, upper management does not care about you

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying caring about your DMs and realize we have lives to

Overall a good company with good pay and benefits.

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGood pay. Good benefits especially working at a grocery store. Always will be busy so time will fly. IF you have a good staff and management can be a enjoyable place to work at.

ConsNot enough appreciation of your hard work. Hard to get promoted. Work can get boring by doing the same thing everyday all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees that take care and work hard for you.

An excellent stepping stone, but not a career

ProsBenefits
    Gain experience in various areas
    Paid vacation
    Pay

Overall the job seems easy on the outside, however once you begin you see why the "now hiring" sign is always outside of ALDI stores.

ConsConstantly over-worked. The job is demanding both physically and mentally, it seems like no matter how much you improve they always ask for me. But your efforts are never rewarded and seldom acknowledged.

Horrible job

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsBenefits is the only thing I could think of

ConsThe hours are horrible. Some nights you may have to close and then the next day you have to be there at 6am. The company doesn't care for there employes. The pay is good but when your doing 6 different jobs it doesn't add up. The only person that love there job is the store manager because the pay and there bonus check. This is the worst job I ever worked for

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement Is unfair and unprofessional

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALDI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ALDI CEO Hartmuth Wiesemann. All 428 reviews posted anonymously by ALDI employees.