ALDI Reviews

653 reviews filtered by
3.1
ALDI Jason Hart
Jason Hart

Pros
  • You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to be!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Great pay and benefits! Communication from top down is quick and efficient and available to the lowest level employee. Product turnaround is fast and customers are the best in the business! 7 paid holidays a year and 6 closed holidays is unheard of for retail. No cards or loyalty stuff to mess with. Just sell some groceries and maintain your shrink.

Cons

Very physical work. Store managers are required to work every Saturday unless on vacation. Promotion beyond store manager is rare.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. Front end cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Cicero, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cicero, IL

I worked at ALDI part-time (less than a year)

Pros

At my location my co-workers were great. They are great with giving you time off as long as you give them a two week notice. I also really liked the enviorment and you start to form relationships with loyal customers .

Cons

There is no set schedual. Also ,the time you are schedualed to get off is not the time you will get out. Cashiers do the other departments returns and also have to help other departments if they are backed up with work.

3. Associate.

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Fast paced and fun. Had a ton of fun working with the other co workers. Hours are great! Open at 9am and you'll be outa there by 9pm. Sundays till 8pm. Holidays off with pay.

Cons

VERY physically demanding. Was full time but was only getting 30 hours. You must be very quick and efficient.

Advice to Management

I dont know if i would give any management advice. My store was great and I really enjoyed working at store 7!

Great pay, co-workers are easy to get along with!

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Pay is great and it's fast paced

Cons

Have to be in shape to keep up with the work they give you.

Advice to Management

Training should be more thorough and investments should be made for the employees safety.

Learn to balance yourself. Smiling and "How are you?" and "Thanks! Have a great day!" make all the difference!!!

Current Employee - Associate (Bottom Level) in Hendersonville, NC
    Current Employee - Associate (Bottom Level) in Hendersonville, NC

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Best pay for the type of work. Great benefits. Physically active. The day goes by SUPER fast because you're so busy. Paid lunches. Pay for referrals. Paid vacations. Three paid sick days per year. Five paid holidays (if you don't work then you still get paid your normal wage, if you do work then you get paid the normal wage that you would have if you hadn't worked PLUS 1.5 times for working so you actually get 2.5 times your normal wage!) Aldi adds in $3 per paycheck (biweekly) for you to save for new work shoes every few years. You also get paid an extra dollar per hour on Sundays.

Cons

You have to learn to balance yourself. Aldi says it's about the customers but they also want you to be super fast. But when your super fast your customers think you're rushing them so it's a bad experience for them. You have to find the right balanced speed so that your management is happy and your customers are not rushed. It's a VERY hard balance to find. I cannot stress that enough. It's almost like someone will always be upset, unfortunately. But there are some tricks that your seniors can teach you to help you go faster. And at the same time, smiling and greeting AND thanking EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER make a huge difference. Get in that habit quick.

Advice to Management

Push your newbies but treat them with respect. They are people too. They are not your slaves or children that you can talk down to. Give them goals, don't threaten them. Give genuine praise often and they will take your corrective criticism more seriously and work harder to apply it. Yes you have numbers you need to meet but people are individuals and they learn differently and at different speeds. I had my codes memorized in a few days and once I do something two or three times on my own I don't need to ask for help anymore. But I also build up speed slower than others. I'm a hard worker but I started out slower. I've been here for two months and only in the last week have I hit 40+ items per minute and 1000+ items per hour. And my first few weeks was nothing but register. Once I know my way around my job and I have more experience, I'll be great at it, I know that. It may not happen on my first day but it will happen. And I'm one who will stay with a job for years and years. Remember that when you have new ones. Give them a chance. From what I hear, Aldi has a hard time holding onto employees. Now I know why. You can loose good employees if you don't treat them right and give them a chance. My store manager is great. My training manager was a you know what to me and had a reputation of being that way with others. She treated me like I was five and she yelled at me. Even the other trainees noticed it. There's nothing professional about that and there no way I'll EVER sub at her store. Don't be that manager. Oh and don't forget to joke with and laugh with your employees, it goes a very long way in building a team spirit :)

7. Cashier

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Pay is good if you get a full 40+ hours

Cons

new people make same $ as people that have been there for years. Lack of communication and to many bad changes. Can't just call off. Have to schedule sick days.

Advice to Management

Better communication and less changing things that work to things that don't.

Fast paced and physically demanding

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

The company has great benefits for you to enjoy. Although the pay is above the market standard you will be doing twice the amount of work than other similar jobs. You usually work nonstop from the moment you step in to the store until you leave.

Cons

Turnover can be high so a lot can be asked of you. They try to keep overtime to a minimum and if daily sales are down you could get cut early. If you work as a shift manager and the store manager is there, you go back to "store associate" pay yet you are still asked to maintain the same amount of responsibility.

Big challenge, big opportunity

Current Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always something new- a lot of responsibility and autonomy. Skip the entry-level job and have a challenging and rewarding career right out of college. Fast growing company and opportunities for anyone with the drive to take advantage.

Cons

Long hours sometimes. It can take a toll on someone who lets work overcome them and can't strike a balance. Sometimes you have to pull yourself away because nobody else is going to.

Advice to Management

Don't burnout your young leadership. They are the future of the company. Continue investing in developing great leaders at the executive levels.

Underpaid for the amount of work you do

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at ALDI part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only benefit about this job is that it pays really well and that you get extra pay for working Sundays.

Cons

Management was all about statistics and constantly pushed you to be faster even though you were working as hard as you could. You had to do the work of 3 people just to get off work on time.

Advice to Management

Schedule more people at a time so its not as hard on our bodies. Stop worrying about 'stats' and worry more about the quality of work each employee is putting into the job. The stats don't tell everything.

11. Aldi store managers are well paid but overworked to the point of exhaustion, then put out to pasture.

Former Employee - Former Store Manager
    Former Employee - Former Store Manager

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you work hard, you can move up from cashier, to shift mgr, to store mgr very quickly. Its a challenging and fast paced work environment. You are not stuck in one department like other retail environments, store managers do everything from training employees, scheduling, throwing trucks, building displays, ordering, pretty much everything and anything (bring your power tools). Smaller staff and store size allows you to really know coworkers and customers.

Cons

Stores are usually run understaffed or overstaffed. Turnover is incredibly high (48% in Midwest region). Training programs are usually rushed through leading to an unknowledgeable workforce. District managers and above are promoted outside the company ONLY and often times fresh out of college receiving the same lack of training leading to poor leadership. Store conditions and adherence to policy and procedures vary drastically from store to store meaning you never know what you're walking into. Company will deny compensation after promising it often due to unclear communication amongst management (vacation days, travel time & mileage, hours worked at other stores etc). Shift mgrs especially do not get compenstated for managerial duties they are required to do (company requires them to be clocked on as cashiers a majority of the time which pays $5 less). No HR department or open door policy. Complaints of harassment, discrimination, or unfairness are often ignored or punished.

Advice to Management

Great compamy, poor leadership. Could improve if company actually followed it's own policies and procedures. Major ethical issues within that need to be addressed!