ALDI Reviews

638 reviews filtered by
3.1
ALDI Jason Hart
Jason Hart

Pros
  • You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

1. Fast paced and physically demanding

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

The company has great benefits for you to enjoy. Although the pay is above the market standard you will be doing twice the amount of work than other similar jobs. You usually work nonstop from the moment you step in to the store until you leave.

Cons

Turnover can be high so a lot can be asked of you. They try to keep overtime to a minimum and if daily sales are down you could get cut early. If you work as a shift manager and the store manager is there, you go back to "store associate" pay yet you are still asked to maintain the same amount of responsibility.

2. Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, small staff, fast paced, good benefits

Cons

Very labor intensive as a store manager

3. Big challenge, big opportunity

Current Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always something new- a lot of responsibility and autonomy. Skip the entry-level job and have a challenging and rewarding career right out of college. Fast growing company and opportunities for anyone with the drive to take advantage.

Cons

Long hours sometimes. It can take a toll on someone who lets work overcome them and can't strike a balance. Sometimes you have to pull yourself away because nobody else is going to.

Don't burnout your young leadership. They are the future of the company. Continue investing in developing great leaders at the executive levels.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Pay, flexible schedule, benefits, make your own schedule, colleagues

Cons

50 hr/wk, work/life balance, relatively long commute depending on district

Hold yourself accountable and set your expectations high

6. Good pay, hard work, you must be extraordinarly efficient.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Short chain of command, decisions are well thought out before they are implemented. No wasting time with bad new procedures

Cons

Incredible amount of work for each individual in the store. Not alot of praise.

Keep the same formula for success, must hire team players only

Great place to be!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Great pay and benefits! Communication from top down is quick and efficient and available to the lowest level employee. Product turnaround is fast and customers are the best in the business! 7 paid holidays a year and 6 closed holidays is unheard of for retail. No cards or loyalty stuff to mess with. Just sell some groceries and maintain your shrink.

Cons

Very physical work. Store managers are required to work every Saturday unless on vacation. Promotion beyond store manager is rare.

Keep doing what you're doing!

8. Learn to balance yourself. Smiling and "How are you?" and "Thanks! Have a great day!" make all the difference!!!

Current Employee - Associate (Bottom Level) in Hendersonville, NC
    Current Employee - Associate (Bottom Level) in Hendersonville, NC

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Best pay for the type of work. Great benefits. Physically active. The day goes by SUPER fast because you're so busy. Paid lunches. Pay for referrals. Paid vacations. Three paid sick days per year. Five paid holidays (if you don't work then you still get paid your normal wage, if you do work then you get paid the normal wage that you would have if you hadn't worked PLUS 1.5 times for working so you actually get 2.5 times your normal wage!) Aldi adds in $3 per paycheck (biweekly) for you to save for new work shoes every few years. You also get paid an extra dollar per hour on Sundays.

Cons

You have to learn to balance yourself. Aldi says it's about the customers but they also want you to be super fast. But when your super fast your customers think you're rushing them so it's a bad experience for them. You have to find the right balanced speed so that your management is happy and your customers are not rushed. It's a VERY hard balance to find. I cannot stress that enough. It's almost like someone will always be upset, unfortunately. But there are some tricks that your seniors can teach you to help you go faster. And at the same time, smiling and greeting AND thanking EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER make a huge difference. Get in that habit quick.

Push your newbies but treat them with respect. They are people too. They are not your slaves or children that you can talk down to. Give them goals, don't threaten them. Give genuine praise often and they will take your corrective criticism more seriously and work harder to apply it. Yes you have numbers you need to meet but people are individuals and they learn differently and at different speeds. I had my codes memorized in a few days and once I do something two or three times on my own I don't need to ask for help anymore. But I also build up speed slower than others. I'm a hard worker but I started out slower. I've been here for two months and only in the last week have I hit 40+ items per minute and 1000+ items per hour. And my first few weeks was nothing but register. Once I know my way around my job and I have more experience, I'll be great at it, I know that. It may not happen on my first day but it will happen. And I'm one who will stay with a job for years and years. Remember that when you have new ones. Give them a chance. From what I hear, Aldi has a hard time holding onto employees. Now I know why. You can loose good employees if you don't treat them right and give them a chance. My store manager is great. My training manager was a you know what to me and had a reputation of being that way with others. She treated me like I was five and she yelled at me. Even the other trainees noticed it. There's nothing professional about that and there no way I'll EVER sub at her store. Don't be that manager. Oh and don't forget to joke with and laugh with your employees, it goes a very long way in building a team spirit :)

Great team to work with.

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Great teamwork, fun, challenging, and kept me in shape.

Cons

Early morning hours started at 5am.

10. Freedom to make important decisions and the ability to lead and develop people!

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule, great pay and benefits, freedom to make decisions

Cons

Very challenging and a lot of responsibility

Great experience overall. Really great culture. Everyone is very friendly and the benefits are awesome.

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Being able to basically own your own stores is really great for a resume builder for the future.

Cons

Not too many of these.