ALDI Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
ALDI Jason Hart
Jason Hart

Pros
  • Great starting pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

1. Featured Review

District Manager

Current Employee - Aldi District Manager
    Current Employee - Aldi District Manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, great pay, great benefits, autonomy, many perks, great colleagues and leaders, lots of training opportunities, a company that truly cares for its employees and puts people first.

Cons

It's a challenging job but I wouldn't call that a "con"... I love my job!

No one "likes" work... however...

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a physically hard job, with a lot of initial information over load (no training makes that far more stressful.) Affordable health insurance coverage. The days for the most part fly by because you work as hard and as fast as you can 100% of the time. The customers are usually very pleasant, and know the companies systems (ex: only having 1 cashier, switching carts, being neat with boxes, buying or bringing their bags, having payments ready before being cashed out) Opportunity to advance is easier in slower volume/smaller staffed stores - however training is sparse or non-existing. It -is- a wonderful job, when under the right leadership, and they reward you financially as you climb the ranks, and are happy to promote within.

Cons

Upper Management is a constant revolving door, it makes the direction in the store, on a day to day basis sometimes impossible. Train, train, train. They need to dedicate time to training. Increase work life balance - I get punished for weeks on the schedule when needing a particular day off - understand that no one can be available 24-7 indefinitely for years without needing days off for doctors, car repairs, etc. Can't remember the last time I didn't work through my lunch break because that's the only way I can get all of my work done when it's just me (shift manager) with 1 cashier.

Advice to Management

When employees that have been with the company for many years start quitting, raise an eyebrow - when your entire staff quits, address the problem. My store has been abandoned by upper management, and it's disappointing.

Hard work

Current Employee - Csshier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Csshier in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are above average but be prepared to work for it. 1 vacation after 6 months then another after the first year. Paid holidays and if you work the one that is open this year. July 4 it's time and a half plus holiday pay. The hours vary week to week 50 + one week to 30 the next. Generally if you want more hours, you can usually pick up a shift at a differant store. The coworkers are no differant than any other company. Most get along well with a few always causing drama. management in my store is fantastic. We are treated fairly and with respect. Most people complain about getting called in on their days off. Unless your store is ran by cavemen, you always have the option of saying no without worrying about repercussions. Over time I have gotten to know many of our regulars. Some days I feel like the Aldi bartender. I have heard my fair share of their problems but I have also heard their triumphs. That alone is why although it's a tough job I enjoy it tremendously.

Cons

If you are dependant solely on this job for income it may not be for you. Hours vary so you can never count on a steady paycheck. also the times you work vary open shift 5am -2pm one day to close the next day 1pm-10 pm so unless your kids are older or have done one to watch them this may not be good. unless you request a weekend off, usually you end up working one day each weekend. if you get a manager trainee that has never worked for aldi, plan on working even harder bcuz they tend to figure out early on how to milk the overtime and not get a thing done. That in turn leads to less hours for cashiers and still expected to get the work done.

Advice to Management

Promote store managers from within. These idiots that the recruiters find generally are terrible. Reward the hard workers with more hours and cut the hours of those who don't pull their weight and cause drama. Give everyone one full weekend off a month. We bust our butts and deserve it.

Good place to work if you don't plan on getting a college degree

Former Employee - Cashier in Dearborn Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dearborn Heights, MI

I worked at ALDI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My time at Aldis was as good as it gets for working in a grocery store. I worked as a cashier and my starting pay was $11 an hour. After working there for about 5 months, the district manager called me just to tell me that I got a $.25 raise. Mind you, I didn't do anything special to earn this. I was actually one of the slowest cashiers they had. But Aldis has a culture that supports and appreciates their employees. It just seems to be part of their business plan as a whole. If I had kept working there I know that they would have kept giving me raises and my retirement 401k (which they matched but I don't remember how much) would have kept growing. As an employee you are expected to hustle! You will build those muscles during your employment here but Aldis knows that and treats you with respect and appreciation. If you wanted to advance, manager positions are always available for $15 an hour starting and do not require a degree. The district managers I knew were very professional and nice. Aldis likes to retain their employees so if you wanted to move up even further, a district manager position requires a four year degree, not necessarily in business or management, just a degree if you are the right fit. I think they get paid $25/ hour and up.

Cons

None if you don't mind working in a grocery store.

Advice to Management

The managers I knew were all good people. I felt appreciated in a position that normally doesn't garner very much respect. So my only advice would be to never change that!

6. Excellent Company

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at ALDI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Coworkers Good contacts and opportunity to move up Upbeat Environment Never Dull Customer interaction often and pleasant Overall a very good place to work. District Manager knew all of us by name and worked closely with us every once in a while

Cons

Hardwork/challenging but not necessarily a con. Can be very early mornings if you stock shelves You'll sometimes sweat on the job because you're working hard

Advice to Management

Continue to be in touch with your employees. That is what was so special about Aldi is the contact with management and upper management. Everyone knew my name up to the district manager and cared what we did with our lives.

7. manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

it has great insurance benefits

Cons

alot of stress and to much to be responsible for for a skeleton crew.

Advice to Management

stop adding to work load

8. The good definitely outweighs the bad

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

Working at ALDI, you get paid well and get awesome benefits. The time off and insurance is way better than previous places I've worked. If you work hard, very hard, you can get your own store.

Cons

It is difficult to grow beyond the Store Manager position. You are worked like crazy and while they say they want to provide "work-life-balance", but they come up short at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to run an operation where people are treated fairly, but you need to think about how the growth of stores affects people.

9. It was a great job during college.

Former Employee - Cashier/Associate in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier/Associate in Lawrence, KS

I worked at ALDI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The starting pay is great for a retail job. They do a good job recruiting because most of my coworkers were motivated. There is a lot to do, so I was never bored.

Cons

The scheduling isn't consistent. I had to work really early hours and really late nights on some days. It is difficult to receive time off even if you request it.

10. DM

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Pay and Benefits were good

Cons

Work Life Balance is difficult

11. Cashier

Former Employee - Casual Associate
    Former Employee - Casual Associate

I worked at ALDI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely LOVED working at ALDI! One of the things that I loved most about the job is the company focuses on working as a team. The management and the cashiers are very engaged in their work and know what needs to get done. The company is very encouraging and if you do your job, you can easily move up in the business.

Cons

There is a lot of work you have to do. You don't just ring out customers, but you also focus on stocking the store, cleaning and working with large machines that you do on a daily basis. However, it's only hard if you are not a hard worker. Also, if you work Full-Time or as a Shift Manager, be sure to be ready to have a flexible schedule because you could be working any shift they need you to work.

Advice to Management

I wish there was more focus on work/life balance and worked with schedules that made sense.

RSS Feed </> Embed