ALDI Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Privately-Held Family Company
1 Rating

Pros
  • Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees (in 38 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 24 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager in Training

Former Employee - Manager In Training  in  South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in South Florida, FL

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Busy work, Always moving. Time goes by fast, Paid Lunch, Over-Time, Nice Salary, No time for Drama, Fast Paced.

Cons

If you are looking for a job where you can just skate bye...Then don't come here. Only 3 associates on the majority of the day. you and 2 others will have 3 hours in the morning to receive and stock 26 pallets from dry goods to freezer and walk-in...this is not a con, just a warning that when you clock on...you will not stop moving until your shift is done. you three don't finish the truck, then you will stay after to complete it so the night shift can do their jobs. this is a TEAM environment..If one person can't pull their weight...you will have to make up for it.

Training is very well laid out. You will be competing with other MIT's in the area for Store Management Position. Bust your Butt and keep a fast pace from the moment you walk in to the moment you walk out. This will feel like boot camp at first so be ready. All holidays are paid and closed...Survival of the fittest...very rewarding...Loved working there. Had to relocate so my time was up.

Rewarding but hard work

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH

I have been working at ALDI part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays well and hours aren't too demanding

Cons

Little training, hard physical labor and fast paced enviornment.

Hold everyone to the same standards.

Hard work, management over promises.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast paced environment with a lot to learn. Can learn something new every day. Getting promoted from a cashier to shift manager is very attainable.

Cons

TONS of responsibility. The training process has a way of making every little thing seem like a big deal so it's hard to learn how to prioritize and gets very stressful. Work-life balance is TERRIBLE and trying to move up from shift manager to store manager trainee ends with tons of over promising from superiors. My superiors asked me to transfer to a store literally 10 times farther away than my current store with no additional pay. I have been trying to get promoted for about a year and have been strung along this whole time. (You'll get it by February...or March... By the end of summer...by thanksgiving... By Christmas...by the end of the year) I have already been unofficially trained for this next position the only thing left is leadership which will take actually getting promoted to be able to learn. Well they want me to go to another store way farther and learn my leadership there. But they say they are not ready to promote me. Well the position is designed to teach me leadership so I don't understand why I wouldn't be promoted. And I love within walking distance of my home store and this other location is a 30 mile round trip. That would result in a MUCH larger expense for me but I wouldn't be paid any extra for the extra work. I have done so much at the shifts are rate that I feel they are just trying to get me to do whatever they want without having to pay me extra but 1) it's not fair to me not to be reasonably compensated and 2) if I did this I would be living paycheck to paycheck. I just cat afford it and I feel like I do as much work as an MT already just without the proper pay rate.

Promote your people who are ready to promote. Stop trying to get them be puppets. We are real people. Treat us like people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything is great!!! Great Pay, benefit are great

Cons

Very Hard Work some days with little help

Great part time job

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Strong company, like to hire from within. Good hourly pay.

Cons

Long hours, the staff is small.

Working at Aldi

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Great place to work. Management seems to really care if employees are happy.

Cons

Not really any cons. I really enjoy working at Aldi.

Great company

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Springdale, AR

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company has great benefits, compensation is above average for working in a grocery store. Great opportunity for advancement, and pay reflects that.

Cons

Stores should be just a little larger.

Could have been great

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Greenville, NC

I worked at ALDI part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay
    Nice hours
    Small staff
    Benefits

Cons

Management has alot of freedom over corporate policy

Remove the management in Greenville, NC

It is a very different and unusual company to work for.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier  in  Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay and benefits are great

Cons

Though the pay is great the hours aren't. The amount of employees hours the store is given depends on the productivity of your store. If the store is going through a slow period. Your hours will drastically be affected. Also you are considered an associate so as an associate you do anything and everything to keep the store going. You just don't sit there and cashier.

It's time to modernize the technology that the stores use.

Confusing Company

Current Employee - Shift Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay for retail. Most stores are flexible with your schedule. Time and a half is always nice for overtime

Cons

They said in my interview that they only promote from within, which is very enticing then 2 months later they higher upper management off the street. Very rarely promote someone from the bottom to all the way to Store manager. All the ones I know now started one step below management.

District Managers need to stop lying in the interviews and quit making stuff up when an employee asks what they need to improve to be promoted

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!