ALDI

Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible leadership development opportunity and amazing career possibilities!

Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

ALDI provided me the opportunity to become a District Manager straight out of college. They provided me with unbelievable leadership development opportunities and training for a full year. After 4 years as a district Manager I was promoted to Director of Store Operations and again received excellent training for 5 months in three different areas of the company. The Director of Operations job gave me the ability to learn new skills and continue to develop as a leader. The impressive company growth allowed me to move into my current role as Division Vice President and I couldn't be happier. I recommend the District Manager career track to anyone who is self-motivated, driven and wants to make the most out of their life.

Cons

All of the positions that i have held provide numerous challenges on a daily basis. These have provided countless learning opportunities. People who are not fully committee to personal and professional growth may not enjoy these challenges.

Best of the best

Current Employee - District Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - District Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At Aldi you work with a team of people that are the best of the best, so no more picking up other peoples slack. The company takes excellent care of its people when it comes to pay, benefits, and treating you well. Aldi is a very solid company as well and will be around for a long time. Aldi has a very flat structure which means promotions increase pay by large amounts, information travels fast, and each person matters more to the team. The best part of Aldi is the people, once you are past the training stage you look around and realize that every person in the company is not only hard working and caring, but also in general just great people to spend your time with. At Aldi, challenging tasks are taken on by teams like a game because they all have fun doing it and a sense of group pride when it is over.

Cons

Aldi only has cons if you are not the right type of person to work there. Like I said, Aldi is the best of the best, so that means that you have work very hard to get up to par. Aldi gives you excellent training to get there, but prepare yourself to work harder than you ever have during your first year there. After your first year, you become much more efficient and are no longer working with the best, you are the best.

Continue supporting new staff, with very exiting expansions going on, new hires are going to continue being vital to the company. An extra focus on training (without hitting spmh) would help support new hires as they adjust to the Aldi pace and ultimately reduce turnover and increase operational skills of the staff.

ALDI District Manager Internship

Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at ALDI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is ridiculously high for an internship.
    The other interns I met, the mentors I had, the executives of the company are all AMAZING. They are wonderful and absolutely care about what you are doing and really care about you. The VP of the district would ask me about how my half marathon went, and always remembered the details.
    The company works to make the internship a REAL experience. You directly shadow multiple DMs and Executives, have to actually present a real project to the company, sit in on all their meetings, literally hire and interview people, you do it all.
    They will hire people who are of mostly any year in school, so as a sophomore in college I got this internship.
    The company culture is amazing.

Cons

The MAIN and pretty much only con was that the work/life balance is not there. Realistically though, they pay really well and there will always be a trade off for this. So it depends how much you love the work. Personally, I didn't find the work rewarding, but that was because I knew off the bat I wasn't interested in the work and just wanted to get some good interning experience. Most DMs work 50-60 hours a week and seem to basically live at work/ live their lives for work. It's a very rigorous environment where you are expected to be top notch all of the time. They are more stuck in the German ways of the company even in the US-- which means they are somewhat outdated and very rigorous with their work ethic.

Find a way to make the work/life management more realistic to the times of today.

You'll be highly compensated, but be ready to earn it

Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Pay and Benefits.

Flexible Hours (choose your own schedule).

High level of independence. You are your own boss day to day, which allows you the opportunity to run your stores as you see fit, so long as you deliver the results the company is asking for. Tremendous learning opportunity for anyone who wants to own and run their own business some day.

Cons

Have to work some weekends.

Long hours. You are salaried for 50hrs/wk, but expect to work more as necessary to deliver the required results. There were times when I had to push 70+hrs depending on what was going on in the stores (holidays, remodels, hiring, etc).

Tough and long (though necessary) training prior to taking over a district. Be prepared to start as a cashier and stock shelves as you work your way up through the ranks of the various in store roles throughout the 8 month training program.

Be understanding when workload is unexpectedly increased or special projects are assigned. Attempt to reduce number of stores per district to increase attention to detail in each store and help with work/life balance. Provide clearer paths for advancement.

Work is work

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

In the morning all items needing to be stocked come tightly bound on pallets ready to be worked throughout the store. Most of the items on the pallet typically belong in the same aisle. There is usually one person working on produce, one on the cooler/freezer pallets, and two on grocery. This can vary based on the number of pallets per section of the store. The stockers are given electrical pallet jacks that do the heavy pulling for them, as well as raise the pallet higher so they do not have to bend farther down as they work the pallet. When the store is open, one person is cashiering, the others are working on cleaning the store and further stocking areas such as meat, bread, and produce. When the team communicates and is on the same page, everyone is able to succeed with their tasks. The pay is higher than most retail/ grocery store places. You will find time passes by quickly as well by how busy you can stay.

Cons

There are team members who like to bring drama to the work place, talk down about other team members, and find short cuts whenever possible. The breaks vary from day to day, you could take a break three hours into your shift, and then your second break a half hour later. This is done to make sure your breaks are out of the way. Information/ changes that need to be made through the whole store is communicated with a store meeting, typically the changes are not applied or enforced. A lot of team members hate cashiering and will try to avoid it at all cost, even if they are the back up cashier. There are managers that will say negative things about team members as well. When it comes to stocking foods such as meat and bread, dates are not checked daily for expiration. There will be newer meat on old which causes the old meat to either expire and not be sold or to be sold discounted. Which affects sales.

Have a stronger emphasis on team work, back up cashiers staying down longer to reduce the line more easily for whoever is the main cashier. Do not allow employees to talk poorly of other employees. Communicate the bigger goals such as stocking neatness, inventory on the shelves instead of the back room, and checking dates on perishables. Cross train the team, do not rely heavily on one or two individuals to be your stockers and others cashiers. Take time and observe what team members are doing with the specific task assigned to them. Look to see if they are thorough with the job or are they taking short cuts to get out of the task. Give raises/promotions to those that do the job correctly.

Face paced work, great pay and benefits.

Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier
    Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, full benefits including medical, vision, dental insurance and 401k. Many opportunities to advance. Great workout! Environmentally responsible, recycling and reducing waste is a big plus!

Cons

Usually, at the store I worked in, there were only two to three people on the clock at all times. There is a lot of work to be done, long hours. It is stressful due to only having one other employee working with you. Hard to balance home and work life due to constantly having to work beyond scheduled hours.

I loved working for this company, I agree with all of the values and practices of the business. My only advice is to have more people working before open to get as much of the truck put out as possible.

Hard work great pay

Former Employee - Director in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Batavia, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Loved the flat structure and the drive for results

Cons

Not good at recognition and identifying poor performers

Challenging but rewarding

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at ALDI

Pros

High hourly pay , flexible hours, benefits

Cons

Back breaking work, early mornings

Great

Current Employee - Benefits in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Benefits in Batavia, IL

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Good pay
    Overtime
    Good office
    Good team
    Good benefits

Cons

No ability to be a free thinker
    Lack of training
    Lack of consistency amongst other divisions

Develop better training guides

My Aldi Experience

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits. Enjoyed my coworkers

Cons

Tough, manual work. Very fast paced. High turnover rate.