ALDI

Updated December 15, 2014
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible leadership development opportunity and amazing career possibilities!

Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

ALDI provided me the opportunity to become a District Manager straight out of college. They provided me with unbelievable leadership development opportunities and training for a full year. After 4 years as a district Manager I was promoted to Director of Store Operations and again received excellent training for 5 months in three different areas of the company. The Director of Operations job gave me the ability to learn new skills and continue to develop as a leader. The impressive company growth allowed me to move into my current role as Division Vice President and I couldn't be happier. I recommend the District Manager career track to anyone who is self-motivated, driven and wants to make the most out of their life.

Cons

All of the positions that i have held provide numerous challenges on a daily basis. These have provided countless learning opportunities. People who are not fully committee to personal and professional growth may not enjoy these challenges.

Best of the best

Current Employee - District Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - District Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At Aldi you work with a team of people that are the best of the best, so no more picking up other peoples slack. The company takes excellent care of its people when it comes to pay, benefits, and treating you well. Aldi is a very solid company as well and will be around for a long time. Aldi has a very flat structure which means promotions increase pay by large amounts, information travels fast, and each person matters more to the team. The best part of Aldi is the people, once you are past the training stage you look around and realize that every person in the company is not only hard working and caring, but also in general just great people to spend your time with. At Aldi, challenging tasks are taken on by teams like a game because they all have fun doing it and a sense of group pride when it is over.

Cons

Aldi only has cons if you are not the right type of person to work there. Like I said, Aldi is the best of the best, so that means that you have work very hard to get up to par. Aldi gives you excellent training to get there, but prepare yourself to work harder than you ever have during your first year there. After your first year, you become much more efficient and are no longer working with the best, you are the best.

Continue supporting new staff, with very exiting expansions going on, new hires are going to continue being vital to the company. An extra focus on training (without hitting spmh) would help support new hires as they adjust to the Aldi pace and ultimately reduce turnover and increase operational skills of the staff.

This job will kill you, but it could be worth it.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Independence, MO

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work keeps you in shape. The benefits are decent and the pay is very good, for a grocery store.

Cons

Don't expect to get off work on time. EVER. And, if one person slacks off just a little, it puts the whole operation behind. Don't forget trying not to run down the customers that jump in front of your jacks.

Hold the slackers accountable instead of blaming management for not "re-training people properly". Sometimes people just need to be let go.

ALDI District Manager Internship

Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at ALDI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is ridiculously high for an internship.
    The other interns I met, the mentors I had, the executives of the company are all AMAZING. They are wonderful and absolutely care about what you are doing and really care about you. The VP of the district would ask me about how my half marathon went, and always remembered the details.
    The company works to make the internship a REAL experience. You directly shadow multiple DMs and Executives, have to actually present a real project to the company, sit in on all their meetings, literally hire and interview people, you do it all.
    They will hire people who are of mostly any year in school, so as a sophomore in college I got this internship.
    The company culture is amazing.

Cons

The MAIN and pretty much only con was that the work/life balance is not there. Realistically though, they pay really well and there will always be a trade off for this. So it depends how much you love the work. Personally, I didn't find the work rewarding, but that was because I knew off the bat I wasn't interested in the work and just wanted to get some good interning experience. Most DMs work 50-60 hours a week and seem to basically live at work/ live their lives for work. It's a very rigorous environment where you are expected to be top notch all of the time. They are more stuck in the German ways of the company even in the US-- which means they are somewhat outdated and very rigorous with their work ethic.

Find a way to make the work/life management more realistic to the times of today.

Face paced work, great pay and benefits.

Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier
    Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, full benefits including medical, vision, dental insurance and 401k. Many opportunities to advance. Great workout! Environmentally responsible, recycling and reducing waste is a big plus!

Cons

Usually, at the store I worked in, there were only two to three people on the clock at all times. There is a lot of work to be done, long hours. It is stressful due to only having one other employee working with you. Hard to balance home and work life due to constantly having to work beyond scheduled hours.

I loved working for this company, I agree with all of the values and practices of the business. My only advice is to have more people working before open to get as much of the truck put out as possible.

Great

Current Employee - Benefits in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Benefits in Batavia, IL

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Good pay
    Overtime
    Good office
    Good team
    Good benefits

Cons

No ability to be a free thinker
    Lack of training
    Lack of consistency amongst other divisions

Develop better training guides

Challenging but rewarding

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at ALDI

Pros

High hourly pay , flexible hours, benefits

Cons

Back breaking work, early mornings

Hard work great pay

Former Employee - Director in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Batavia, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Loved the flat structure and the drive for results

Cons

Not good at recognition and identifying poor performers

My Aldi Experience

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits. Enjoyed my coworkers

Cons

Tough, manual work. Very fast paced. High turnover rate.

You'll be highly compensated, but be ready to earn it

Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Pay and Benefits.

Flexible Hours (choose your own schedule).

High level of independence. You are your own boss day to day, which allows you the opportunity to run your stores as you see fit, so long as you deliver the results the company is asking for. Tremendous learning opportunity for anyone who wants to own and run their own business some day.

Cons

Have to work some weekends.

Long hours. You are salaried for 50hrs/wk, but expect to work more as necessary to deliver the required results. There were times when I had to push 70+hrs depending on what was going on in the stores (holidays, remodels, hiring, etc).

Tough and long (though necessary) training prior to taking over a district. Be prepared to start as a cashier and stock shelves as you work your way up through the ranks of the various in store roles throughout the 8 month training program.

Be understanding when workload is unexpectedly increased or special projects are assigned. Attempt to reduce number of stores per district to increase attention to detail in each store and help with work/life balance. Provide clearer paths for advancement.