ALDI

Updated February 28, 2015
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Very happy as a Store Manager for over 10 years. Then I got a new DM and everything changed.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and great benefits.

Cons

Hiring and firing of staff is out of the store manager's hands and rests solely on the DM.

Maybe you should listen to the people who have actually been working in the store rather than someone fresh out of college with a few months' experience in the training program.

A Fun, Hard-Working Environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When i was looking for a job, I wanted something that I could go into work everyday and walk out knowing that i worked as hard as possible and made every dime of the money I made for that day. I am the type of person that wants to be moving around and working as much as possible, and this is the perfect job for me!

Cons

The only downside about working there I thought were the long shift hours. You could be there from anywhere from 6-10 scheduled hours.

Keep up the great work!

Great company to work for, especially as a college student. Great pay and understanding managers for the most part.

Former Employee - Cashier in Youngstown, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Youngstown, OH

I worked at ALDI part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, great store manager and general manager, great pay. As long as you have good co-workers, your work day will be very enjoyable.

Cons

Loved my job and my team at Aldi. I do not have any complaints.

Make sure everyone works as a team and things will go smoothly.

Retail with Respect

Former Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ALDI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is almost all promoted up from within, so they have a deep respect for employees. This translates to good pay from day 1, a benefits plan that follows not too long after that, and a clear division of work and life. My particular store was 100% female run from district manager all the way down to team members, which was very cool.

Although my tenure was short for personal reasons, this was by far and away the best retail job I've ever had, and I actively recommend to friends looking for retail work to apply at Aldi.

Cons

If you're not in decent physical shape when you start as a team member, you're going to be sore for awhile. Customers can be taxing, but that comes with any retail job.

Great experience overall. Really great culture. Everyone is very friendly and the benefits are awesome.

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Being able to basically own your own stores is really great for a resume builder for the future.

Cons

Not too many of these.

Wonderful company to work for but is very laborious.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have wonderful benefits and pay.

Cons

Very laborious and must do everything.

Great!

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Great pay. The job itself weeds out coworkers who don't have a strong work ethic. Promotes self-reliance and self-motivation.

Cons

Physically demanding. Sometimes long shifts (9+ hours), that are intensified but the amount of physical labor you do on daily basis.

If you want to be full time you are essentially "on call" and need to have open availability. No taking classes or requesting certain nights off for your bowling league or whatever.

Burnout rate for cashiers is very high.

If you respond better to positive reinforcement, this is not the job for you. They only let you know when you are doing something wrong.

Explain the chain of command better at hiring. And let people know full time means just that. Full time.

Extremely fast paced work environment with poor work/life balance but great pay and great benefits.

Former Intern - District Manager Intern
    Former Intern - District Manager Intern

I worked at ALDI as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of responsibility, very flat company. Very good pay. Very good benefits.

Cons

Long training, poor work/life balance.

Great company

Current Employee - Warehouse Picker in Center Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Picker in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Great Benifits. High pay. Nice hours.

Cons

Tough physical labor. Nor for the lazy.

This is a great company with excellent benefits and room to advance

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The shifts fly by; there's always something to do; it's like getting a paid workout; compensation starts out higher than average; excellent benefits; excellent upward mobility

Cons

If one person doesn't do their job, everything falls apart and you end up doing 50% more than usual; since there's usually only three people at the store per shift, one person calling out is a huge deal; it's difficult to fire incompetent workers; management rarely documents any problems with employees, making it even harder to fire people; chain of command breaks down if just one person is unwilling to deal with problems efficiently

Respond more to issues with employees' performance and don't be so afraid of losing people; make sure all managers are trained on paperwork, disciplinary steps, and payroll