ALDI Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014

Privately-Held Family Company

Pros
  • Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees (in 38 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 24 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager in Training

Former Employee - Manager In Training  in  South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in South Florida, FL

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Busy work, Always moving. Time goes by fast, Paid Lunch, Over-Time, Nice Salary, No time for Drama, Fast Paced.

Cons

If you are looking for a job where you can just skate bye...Then don't come here. Only 3 associates on the majority of the day. you and 2 others will have 3 hours in the morning to receive and stock 26 pallets from dry goods to freezer and walk-in...this is not a con, just a warning that when you clock on...you will not stop moving until your shift is done. you three don't finish the truck, then you will stay after to complete it so the night shift can do their jobs. this is a TEAM environment..If one person can't pull their weight...you will have to make up for it.

Training is very well laid out. You will be competing with other MIT's in the area for Store Management Position. Bust your Butt and keep a fast pace from the moment you walk in to the moment you walk out. This will feel like boot camp at first so be ready. All holidays are paid and closed...Survival of the fittest...very rewarding...Loved working there. Had to relocate so my time was up.

Great part time job

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Strong company, like to hire from within. Good hourly pay.

Cons

Long hours, the staff is small.

Working at Aldi

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Great place to work. Management seems to really care if employees are happy.

Cons

Not really any cons. I really enjoy working at Aldi.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Springdale, AR

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company has great benefits, compensation is above average for working in a grocery store. Great opportunity for advancement, and pay reflects that.

Cons

Stores should be just a little larger.

Demanding, yet rewarding experience

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Executive Level at a young age, freedom to make your own decisions and learn from the mistakes that you have made. Seeing the people you hire grow and develop around you is very satisfying.

Cons

It is almost like you are a Glorified Babysitter. There are very few times when you are rewarded for quality work. Same salary for all DMs regardless of sales volume of your stores. Salary dependent upon length with company.

Take it by the Horns, and be proactive. This is not a consulting position. Type A personality often recommended.

Great Place if your Willing to Work

Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is amazing and efficient. I came from another company, different industry and Im pleased with the change. The Pay is amazing, the benefits are above all. I want to remind people that say they don't gets breaks and have to come in on their days off, do not equate that to Aldi but your SM or AM and bring it back to the store level. Ive always gotten my breaks, maybe not when I wanted them, but definitely got them. This is not a easy job at all, you work very hard for your money, but the time goes by sooooo fast, before you know it it's time to go home.

Cons

Being promoted from SM to DM, or transfers to different States.

So far so good, No job or company is perfect but so far this company meets all my needs. Upper Management has a open door policy and if you have any concerns you can go all the way up to the top.

Confusing Company

Current Employee - Shift Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay for retail. Most stores are flexible with your schedule. Time and a half is always nice for overtime

Cons

They said in my interview that they only promote from within, which is very enticing then 2 months later they higher upper management off the street. Very rarely promote someone from the bottom to all the way to Store manager. All the ones I know now started one step below management.

District Managers need to stop lying in the interviews and quit making stuff up when an employee asks what they need to improve to be promoted

It is a very different and unusual company to work for.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier  in  Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay and benefits are great

Cons

Though the pay is great the hours aren't. The amount of employees hours the store is given depends on the productivity of your store. If the store is going through a slow period. Your hours will drastically be affected. Also you are considered an associate so as an associate you do anything and everything to keep the store going. You just don't sit there and cashier.

It's time to modernize the technology that the stores use.

Good pay, benefits, but, it really is slave work

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love my coworkers. Most of them anyways. That's really it. I mean of course, I like the pay, the paid holidays, vacation time, and paid sick and personal days. I like having health insurance. I like the morning shift because you get there at 5 am and the store doesn't open til 9 and you can listen to music while you work. Also after working there 2 years you don't get any more pay raises but you get a nice bonus check at the end of the year which is cool.

Cons

Ummm...how about the DMs expect the store to be flawless no matter how busy and understaffed the store is? Constant ridicule and hardly any positive feedback. Everything is always wrong, messy, or not good enough. The work is hard...like the heavy lifting for hours at a time...and the leaky chicken that you have to stock on the shelves is gross. Being in the freezer is awful...as you can imagine. The stress of running a busy store with only 3 people working is the most difficult to be honest. I also hate waking up at 4 am to be at work. And sometimes having to close and getting out at 11pm and expected to open the store again which means being there again at 5am the next day.

Try some positive reinforcement for once...stop focusing on the negatives and realize that most Aldi employees do the best that they can and work their butts off while corporate workers get to walk around in business suits and drive fancy cars and don't know the first thing about what the store is actually like,

Good healthcare. That's it....

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

•You make decent money starting out at $11.50
    •Cingna health care
    •vacation

Cons

•NO training
    •always threatened to lose your job
    •micromanagement
    •one raise after first year. ONE RAISE!
    •no recognition for hard work or job well done
    •corporate comes in and will ask you questions. If you know all the answers, they will make up questions to make you sound like you don't know things you "should".
    • back breaking work

Show some appreciation for how hard your employees actually work. This job is hard! When you are lucky enough to find a hard working, decent employee, show them that they are a valuable member of your team and that you really appreciate that they do a good job.

ALDI Photos

Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo attributed to flickr: brandon king - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)

+ Add Photo

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!