ALDI Reviews

Reset
3.1
ALDI Jason Hart
Jason Hart

Pros
  • Great starting pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

1. Featured Review

District Manager

Current Employee - Aldi District Manager
    Current Employee - Aldi District Manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, great pay, great benefits, autonomy, many perks, great colleagues and leaders, lots of training opportunities, a company that truly cares for its employees and puts people first.

Cons

It's a challenging job but I wouldn't call that a "con"... I love my job!

No one "likes" work... however...

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a physically hard job, with a lot of initial information over load (no training makes that far more stressful.) Affordable health insurance coverage. The days for the most part fly by because you work as hard and as fast as you can 100% of the time. The customers are usually very pleasant, and know the companies systems (ex: only having 1 cashier, switching carts, being neat with boxes, buying or bringing their bags, having payments ready before being cashed out) Opportunity to advance is easier in slower volume/smaller staffed stores - however training is sparse or non-existing. It -is- a wonderful job, when under the right leadership, and they reward you financially as you climb the ranks, and are happy to promote within.

Cons

Upper Management is a constant revolving door, it makes the direction in the store, on a day to day basis sometimes impossible. Train, train, train. They need to dedicate time to training. Increase work life balance - I get punished for weeks on the schedule when needing a particular day off - understand that no one can be available 24-7 indefinitely for years without needing days off for doctors, car repairs, etc. Can't remember the last time I didn't work through my lunch break because that's the only way I can get all of my work done when it's just me (shift manager) with 1 cashier.

Advice to Management

When employees that have been with the company for many years start quitting, raise an eyebrow - when your entire staff quits, address the problem. My store has been abandoned by upper management, and it's disappointing.

3. Employee

Pros

Good place to work, they have very competitive pay

Cons

Can not think of any

5. Overall loved working there

Former Employee - Cashier in West Plains, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in West Plains, MO

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the work and thought it was fun. It was a good experience working there.

Cons

The hours were long and not family friendly. Sometimes they wouldn't work around my schedule.

Advice to Management

Maybe hire a younger crowd to work the close and weekend shifts so that people with families can stay with the company and have time with their families.

6. Intern-District Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Pros

Aldi is a great German Company, that is really committed to bring value to each customer. It's rapid expension makes it attractive to move up the career path more quickly.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

Great company for college students

Current Employee - Warehouse Picker in Center Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Picker in Center Valley, PA

Pros

Good pay, good employees to stand beside (most of the time), focused and professional, clean and safe workplace with options with a good 401k, time off and tons of flexiblity for college students, aldi is helping me completely pay off my college.

Cons

You must be focused and professionalism is expected as it always should be. You must preform at a speed up to aldi standards and you could be fired if you fall behind, but it is easy to keep up with if you stay focused. Cant really talk, and the work place can tire anyone down and is hazardous. Must be 18

8. Very physical

Current Employee - Store Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Benefits are amazing. If you have a good store manager it is great place.

Cons

Very dependent on how motivated or lazy the manager is. Worked at great stores and ones where people leave like flies. They set the tone for the whole store. Make sure you go to the store you are interested in and ask the other associates. District managers aren't real honest about promotions and timelines. Most are so overworked and inexperienced they just don't know how to deal with crappy managers so nothing happens

Advice to Management

More management oversight and accountability

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

One of the best places in which I have worked. 12.35 starting and since everyone is responsible for the same duties it's no arguing who's job is whose. Yes it requires us to be fast but that's not a bad thing considering that other jobs can be worse. They always check you take your full brake or you have to get an extra break pay.

Cons

If you're not a morning person you won't like going in at 6 am.

You get what you put in

Current Employee - District Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Pay/Benefits, given high level of responsibility, the company follows through on what it says it will do, great developmental opportunities, people focused. You rarely will find bad people in leadership positions. You will be pushed by your leaders but will have respect for them.

Cons

It's very hard work, expectations are high and workloads can be unreasonable. However, if you stick to it you will get to a good place.

Advice to Management

Most things the company should change are already in developmental stages which is a testament to the company. I would suggest finding ways to cut out more administrative tasks for DMs or find other ways to help them focus more on the important things - people development and store conditions.

Great company going through growing pains

Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Aldi believes in supplying top tier compensation in return for top notch talent. The company is rapidly expanding and opportunities for personal expansion are always present. The no frills business model is extended to the human resources side of the company.Communication from upper management is always done with honesty and effeciency in mind. If you enjoy compliments for simply meeting your job requirements this may not be the job for you. However, if you are receptive to feedback and open to personal development this can be a very rewarding career.

Cons

Aldi is currently struggling to keep up with consumer demand. Our division has doubled in size in a short amount of time and is opening several new stores a year. Finding qualified staff has been the number one issue for the last 3 years.The stress from the growing pains has just recently started to subside. Any management position within the company requires 100% dedication coupled with strong competency.

Advice to Management

Keep looking to the future and continue the conversion campaign directed at middle America. Adapt quicker to the modern Aldi in all aspects of the operational side (including the outdated and unrealistic focus on productivity)

RSS Feed </> Embed