ALDI

Updated November 17, 2014
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • Aldi is a great company to work for because of the pay and benefits, especially as a manager (in 48 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 33 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast-Paced and Rewarding. Flexibility is key.

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

The DM position demands a great deal of responsibility from Day 1. The position allows for much independence both in scheduling and completion of work tasks. You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits. You will grow as a leader each and every day on the job.

Cons

Work-life balance can be as good or as non-existent as you make it. Relocation is required of all DM's often resulting in you getting moved to any random area within the Division (whether good or bad). Leadership within upper management is often hit or miss.

Overwhelming and stressful

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and that is all pretty much I can say

Cons

Once you are employed by aldi you can forget about having a social life or a good home work balance . Schedule is bad will never have a weekend off unless your on vacation. You can try to ask for it off but good luck with that your only allowed to ask for two days off a month. Upper management (district manager) lack experience and are not people persons I guess they didn't learn how to speak to people at college. Shift manager pay is a joke you will only get paid the manager premium when your store manager or manager in training is gone for the day or they are off, but you are still require to perform the work (at cashier pay)

Hire management with experience not kids

High Stress, but good pay. Little time for life

Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment helps the days pass, Smaller staff and helps build strong teamwork and accountability. Great starting salary and benefits. New stores continue to open allowing for growth.

Cons

Very high stress, and company culture asks that you are always available regardless of days or time off. Extremely high expectations often result in longer then scheduled days.

Can be slow to promote. And frequent upper management turnover make the environment unstable at times

Career Day

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

An awesome career opportunity with a great starting clara and compensation package

Cons

I was at a career fair that Aldi was recruiting at. It seemed as though the recruiters already had employees in mind they were hiring before they even came to my university.

Great training and pay

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Compensation is the best in the business

Cons

Technology is outdated but the company is currently making upgrades

It was a great job.

Current Employee - Corporate Sampling Chef in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Sampling Chef in Batavia, IL

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The corporate hours and setting are awesome.

Cons

You have to adjust to things always changing.

N/A

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company that takes care of people who put in the effort. The benefits are amazing! Paid holidays with our family's! Great paychecks! Plus vacation time, sick days, personal days, and a flexible schedule. You don't have to work Friday-Sunday every week like you do in most retail and service industry management positions.

Cons

You have to earn what you get. I don't think it's a con but this is why most people leave. They are expecting a lot from the employer but don't want a lot expected out of them in return.

Keep coaching and developing! The store managers need better accountability practices to be used in coaching store employees. They would gain some ground in the minds of the associates.

District Manager Intern

Current Employee - District Manager Intern in Saxonburg, PA
    Current Employee - District Manager Intern in Saxonburg, PA

I have been working at ALDI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really good pay. Very young crowd of people from the district managers to the directors, made me feel comfortable as a college intern. In store part of internship was both interesting and helpful to understanding the company and position.

Cons

Poor work life balance, was working 55-60 hours per week on salary. Had to drive a TON and wasn't reimbursed for gas. Full-time DMs get their own company car in which gas is free and even store employees are paid mileage to travel to different stores and help out... not sure why we got the short end of the stick here. Got stuck with an awful DM as my "peer advisor" and this is what turned me off completely to the company/position.

Evaluate who you are giving the peer advisor positions to a little further. Pay interns mileage or give them a gas gift card at the end of the internship. Try to work on work-life balance a little better.

Extremely Stressful

Former Employee - District Manager Trainee
    Former Employee - District Manager Trainee

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Compensation, immediate role of responsibility

Cons

High-stress, bad hours, the industry isn't exciting. The management is very militaristic. The job didn't exercise my higher intellectual skills, instead the job amounted to juggling many details simultaneously. This job will become your life. If you enjoy counting product in a subfreezing environment and dealing with rude customers go for it. I'd rather use my bachelor's degree for a higher purpose.

Take on more labor costs in order to relieve the stress of your employees.

poor district mgrs

Current Employee - Store Manager in Westchester, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Westchester, FL

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

really nothing good to say

Cons

the way they think they own you when they hire you

They really need to have real management run the company, having inexperienced graduates running their districts is a joke. they have no idea how to run a real company or even talk to their staff.