ALDI

Updated March 1, 2015
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for a temp job whilst looking for a decent job.

Current Employee - Stock Assistant Nights in Lincoln, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Stock Assistant Nights in Lincoln, England (UK)

I have been working at ALDI (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are sound, and I made good friends.

Cons

Aldi will cut your contract hours by upto 50% if theyre not hitting their sales targets, so dont work at Aldi if the money from this job is your main income.
    Started doing 30 + hours per week with 3 people on the shift, now expected to do the same amount of work but in 18 - 20 hours per week, and with only 2 people on the shift instead of 3. No pay rise or incentive to do extra work expected.
    I arrive at 10pm for the night shift, and will be told my finish time when I arrive, which will be anything from 4am - 8am.
    Was told during induction that nightshifts are blocked together to help the nightshift have more regular sleep patterns. Hardly ever happens. Everytime a worker leaves theyll be hundreds of applicants willing to take their place, Aldi know this and exploit it to the max. They keep prices low by screwing over their work force. You must be clean shaven for every shift, no designer stubble at all. And you are told you cannot say anything negative about Aldi on the internet or social media, this a an instant sackable offence. Stock assistants are not entitled to sick pay because theyre classed as a business perk.

Dont over staff, take temp workers on over busy times, so permanent staff dont lose money. Group shifts together. Start the Uni graduates off as assistant managers and build them up to Area managers gradually, so they know how to do the job properly.

Just don't bother

I worked at ALDI

Pros

There are no pros to working here. My experience was really negative and I regret wasting my time with them.

Cons

Job presented as direct hire and the last minute was changed to temp-to-hire. Two weeks after starting I received an email from a different recruiter than the one that placed me - FOR MY JOB. They never provided me with any feedback and I was never trained for the job advertised, not given anything to do - I had to make up stuff to do. It was all very, very shady. The rest of the staff was very cliquish and there is no cooperation between areas at all, no room for new ideas.

Awful from the first day

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

It's not bad pay however that is the only benefit of working for the company.

Cons

Where to begin?

On my first week of working as an Aldi Store assistant, I was treated so horribly. I was shouted at in front of customers as I made small mistakes due to members of staff near breathing down your neck as you try to get used to the tills. As I was young and quite shy, at first, they tried to push me further. Other employees didn't make me feel welcomed, the manager didn't even speak to me. It felt like higher up had forced the store to employ new people but the store and everyone in it was dead against new faces.
    I remember on one of my first shifts, I walked home crying my eyes out because I couldn't believe I'd traded in my old job for somewhere so horrific.
    The employees they told to train me, openly told me they didn't want to do training and were aggressive. It was like they wanted to scare me into quitting. They gave us a list of hundreds of PLUs and told us we had to learn a certain amount per night, I felt like I was being taught by Miss Trunchable from Matilda, no exaggeration.

Then there are the managers. In Aldi, there are LOADS of managers to every store and 99% of them are unprofessional, perverse and just in capable of managing. One particular manager would come in, his shirt unwashed, marks of food and rubbish down him, smelling. It was disgusting.
    One manager would refer to me as "sexy lady"... MANAGER. Once he even grabbed my shirt, pulled me into his face. I just didn't know what to do.
    Another manager was forever angry, you'd think that being spoken to in a polite manner was a privilege reserved for birthdays. She would shout, scream, give you dirty looks and just on a whole, make you feel uncomfortable. Again, her hair was filled with grease and she was unpresentable, despite us new employees being warned that lack of presentation is an offence at Aldi.

The store system on a whole is kind of like a hierarchy. You have the employees that are the same level as you but are clearly far more 'valued' than yourself. Without promotion, they were given manager keys, which is a sackable offence had they been caught by anyone higher up and would often throw it in your face. I had a number of these, 'elite team members' we'll call them, say to me "We might be the same level, but I'm still higher".

They also make you feel guilty for being ill. During my time there, I got the chickenpox. God, you'd think I ordered them, they were so rude to me on the phone.

In the end, I was signed off of work from my doctor who advised me to look for another job as I had to be put on medication for anxiety due to Aldi.

I provided sick notes covering my absence but, low and behold, they didn't even pay me statutory sick pay in the end, which again is illegal.

I handed in my notice on the 10th of January and when that letter came through the post to say I officially didn't work for Aldi anymore, I literally could not have been any happier!!

Honestly, unless all you care about is money and are happy to be treated like mess on the bottom of your shoe, I would highly recommend you work anywhere else but Aldi.

You have to ask yourself, why do they need to take in so many staff if it's such a great place to work? Why are they constantly hiring? Why is everyone leaving?

i thought it was just the store I got put in but reading this reviews it just seems across the board it's just in general an awful place to work.

Brutal work environment, not for 40+ year olds.

Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Above average pay, decent benefits. Promotions are available due to the lack of retention of employees. Good job for those appreciate intense working conditions.

Cons

Extremely tight and unreasonable labor budgets. High turnover due to excessive work loads and minimal staffing. Not
    a long term position for most people.

Come to grips with reality, stop working/oppressing employees into leaving their employment.

Great pay no appreciation

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, cheap benefits, paid holidays

Cons

Salary works 50-70 hours a week. District managers come fresh out of college

Bring in more experienced district managers not kids fresh out of collage

Don't trust the interview

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are fantastic. If you're in a store that cares to train you, you'll go far.

Cons

Most managers I've come across expect you to know everything without training you and have an "well, I had to do (some terrible thing), so you do too". I've been lied to on numerous occasions, including the interview (I was told work-life balance existed there- it absolutely does not). And if you're sexually harassed by your boss, the company will not investigate it and blame you for it.

Be true to your commitments, understand that your people are people and have lives, take HR issues seriously.

Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Roebuck, Jefferson, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Roebuck, Jefferson, AL

I worked at ALDI

Pros

the pay, you can move up in the company

Cons

lack of social life (especially if you have kids), working over the schedule time, not enough training in management, lack of employees and some stores,

need to hire people who have worked in the grocery management before because the people who are working now are struggling.

Worst 4 years of my life.

Current Employee - Store Manager in South Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in South Windsor, CT

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is very good, they are closed a few more holidays than most other retailers and their health benefits are less expensive compared to other employers.

Cons

As a Manager, there is no work / life balance. Very long days get even longer when your closing mgr calls out and you can't find a replacement so it's you that has to stay. It gets even better when you are driving down to your store at 2 am because of an alarm call due to your freezer or your multi-deck failing. You will work like a dog putting out 24 pallet deliveries 4x a week. You are made to play tricks on your employees to see if they are doing their job. In the end it doesn't make a difference how hard you worked, how many hours you spend in your store, how much pride you put into your stores presentation and preparedness, you will still be discharged. Not everyone is "made for Aldi" is their favorite line, and they certainly got THAT right. Skip over this employer, you'll be glad you did. Trust me.

Learn to appreciate the hard working, dedicated employees that you have working for your company. This advice could save the company a ton of money, unless of course its just easier to pay for lawsuits, unemployment cost and whatever cost are involved with holding job fairs every week.

Intense and overworked

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Batavia, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic Insurance, structured environment, well known company

Cons

You are given 10+ hours of work to be completed in 8 hour shift. Training is non existent, expect to write your own notes for training. Unrealistic expectations. Socialization with co workers unacceptable.

Better training for employees as well as management.

they gave us a 25 cents an hour raise!

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

The work life balance does not exist. The insurance is okay.

Cons

Most of the people I work with are poor or live paycheck to paycheck. These people work very hard everyday. To disrespect them with a 25 cent raise is disgusting. The people writing these raises and making the rules get percentage bonuses. Maybe these people can take a vacation or pay for their child's school. The people who help keep these stores stocked and open sometimes without a break maybe they can buy an extra gallon of milk and loaf of bread every week with their small raise. ALDI, SHAME ON YOU!

At least try to pretend you give a d**n. Act like human beings, not robots.