ALDI

Updated December 21, 2014
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

A slave with no life or respect

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Abergavenny, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Abergavenny, Wales (UK)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good for the job (but you really earn it!) opportunity to rise higher if you have the right outlook

Cons

I've been working at Aldi for 5 months now and it's the worst, most soul destroying job I've ever had. Firstly, you are expected to work like a slave for ten hours straight with just one 30min break. The company handbook states you will get more but if you ask for more or if you are even caught having a 5minute breather you get a verbal kick up the backside.

Secondly, the hours are ridiculous. There is no structure to the rotas, with many of them not even going up until Saturday or Sunday. I've also never left on time...you HAVE to stay after hours until the place is to the managers satisfaction and you aren't allowed to leave. Ten hour shifts more like 11 hour shifts.

Thirdly...the health and safety is slacking. You have to sign a training book when you first start to say you've been trained in health and safety. This is as far as it goes. I told my manager I can't lift produce (you are expected to lift crates of watermelons from great heights) because I don't have the physical strength and I was told to do as I was told or else...leading to a painfull shoulder injury which has been affecting my work for over 6 weeks.

The till/safe system is dated and confusing. You could take your till in to be counted at the end of your shift and be £30 down because 'the safe moved' somehow. This can lead to you getting in serious trouble for something you haven't done

Lastly, the general attitude of most staff is appalling, although this is obviously based on my experiences in this one store. Out of the 6 deputy managers, 2 are hard working and fair. The rest won't pick up anything heavier than a phone or a clipboard and the one assistant manager verbally abuses and bullies staff on a day to day basis. The staff aren't much better. For example, it was my second week at aldi and I arrived at 7am to start my shift and I was working a delivery on my own - something I hadn't been trained to do or even shown. I was obviously a bit slower than the other experienced staff and because of that other store assistant were vile to be and talked down to me. It's a soul destroying place.

Realise that the work people do in store is incredibly hard and they deserve more respect and BREAKS. Also give store assistants the opportunity to work their way up to area managers etc over the years instead of hiring 21year olds who have no idea how to speak to people. Start visiting stores without warning to see what it's REALLY like.

A positive working experience where you are given more responsibility to accomplish more.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Hours can be very flexible, major holidays are off, the benefits are great. Promotion is mainly based off work ethic, not how long one has been there.

Cons

Work schedule very sporadic, usually not given until 3 or 4 days before the next week begins. Possibility to travel to stores in which you didn't get hored at

Enforce standards and goals. With limited staff, one persons slack causes a lot of setback.

Neutral, currently unhappy

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Greenville, NC

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance, schedule flexibility, relationship with customers

Cons

Managers that are buddy-buddy's with subordinates. New hires making the same rate as employees with longevity. Lack of communication.

I've been with the company for a very long time and feel like the conditions are the worse ever. I love the company as a whole, but some of the managers use their position to bully workers.

Store Manager

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Off all major holidays, Strong sales bonus monthly

Cons

Not enough help, you will work an average of 70 hours a week,

better training of staff

The worst I have ever been treated in my life.

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at ALDI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good wages compared to other retailers.
    The store is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
    People I work with are nice, excluding managers.

Cons

As a Store Assistant, formerly a Stock Assistant, I can honestly say from my experience from these two positions that working for this company is the worst I have ever been treated in my life. I am expected to lift heavy objects from great heights, above my head height, and if I complain, I'm looked down on or guilt tripped with the "this is a team and we all have to pull our weight" speech, despite it being against health and safety regulations. My sleeping pattern has completely messed up with the 6AM starts one day and not starting until 2PM the next and working on until 3AM the next morning. The management tend to look down on people who are new starts or younger employees such as myself, especially if you're in some form of education as they seem to think that I must think I'm better than them for studying at college and only working part-time. I have been made to stay on past my finishing time almost every shift that I'm on without being asked, and if I ask to leave most times they point-blank refuse to let me go "until all of the jobs are done" and I'm not being paid for it. So this means I have no social life whatsoever and finding time to study has become increasingly difficult as I am tired all the time from work. I'm usually asked to pick up the slack for other people that haven't finished their tasks, and managers seem to have no qualms about patronizing and bullying you into it when you try and object. Despite complaining to my Store Manager about how I'm treated, nothing is being done about this. As someone who suffers from Anxiety Disorder, this has wreaked havoc on my mental well-being, and I'm currently applying for a new job after working for the company for almost 2 years.

Store managers/assistant store managers stop asking staff to do difficult jobs in impossible amounts of time. Comply with health and safety by making sure pallets are safe to work before telling staff to work them, don't ask the person that's under 5'2'' to work the 8ft high bread order.
    Area managers start taking an interest in what is going on around the store rather than just the store productivity. Ask employees what they think, you might actually hear a few good ideas that may help the company improve in the future and improve staff morale. All too often the area manager comes in to speak with the store manager for whatever reason and doesn't seem to care about the other employees. It makes us feel like we don't matter and that what we have to say doesn't matter.

Best of the best

Current Employee - District Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - District Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At Aldi you work with a team of people that are the best of the best, so no more picking up other peoples slack. The company takes excellent care of its people when it comes to pay, benefits, and treating you well. Aldi is a very solid company as well and will be around for a long time. Aldi has a very flat structure which means promotions increase pay by large amounts, information travels fast, and each person matters more to the team. The best part of Aldi is the people, once you are past the training stage you look around and realize that every person in the company is not only hard working and caring, but also in general just great people to spend your time with. At Aldi, challenging tasks are taken on by teams like a game because they all have fun doing it and a sense of group pride when it is over.

Cons

Aldi only has cons if you are not the right type of person to work there. Like I said, Aldi is the best of the best, so that means that you have work very hard to get up to par. Aldi gives you excellent training to get there, but prepare yourself to work harder than you ever have during your first year there. After your first year, you become much more efficient and are no longer working with the best, you are the best.

Continue supporting new staff, with very exiting expansions going on, new hires are going to continue being vital to the company. An extra focus on training (without hitting spmh) would help support new hires as they adjust to the Aldi pace and ultimately reduce turnover and increase operational skills of the staff.

keeping prices low by not paying employees

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

cheap shopping before or after work

Cons

-you start 15 minutes before you get paid
    -you often finish 30-90 minutes later than you're supposed to - sometimes this time gets lost in administration and you don't have access to the company records to check - you have to do the math 1-1.5 months later, when you get your payslip (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who actually does that at our store) so probably the company owes hundreds of £ to my colleagues
    -you are told several times during your training that your till is your responsibility alone - however, you never get to count the till after your shift, your till difference is 'declared' by a manager who can easily miscalculate the total - also, sometimes you're given a till with misplaced coins so the coin scale gives you a mistaken figure
    -your till speed is measured each day and you have to meet a pretty high standard - however, some customers intentionally delay you and managers often don't show up for a long time when you bell them - but you're the one to be pressured with the final result at the end of the day
    -shifts often last 7.5 hours so you can only take a 20-minute break - however, if you stay longer and your shift is actually 8 hours long, you still get only your 20-minute break unless you explicitly point out that you're entitled to a full 30-min one
    -most managers act like you're born knowing all the procedures of the company - they tell you what you should have done only when it's too late in the presence of other employees/customers and you're made feel guilty for things you can't possibly know

Great

Current Employee - Benefits in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Benefits in Batavia, IL

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Good pay
    Overtime
    Good office
    Good team
    Good benefits

Cons

No ability to be a free thinker
    Lack of training
    Lack of consistency amongst other divisions

Develop better training guides

Challenging but rewarding

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at ALDI

Pros

High hourly pay , flexible hours, benefits

Cons

Back breaking work, early mornings

Good pay/long hours. Worth it?

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The leadership you gain here is crazy. You will develop yourself from a professional standpoint very quickly. The pay is amazing compared to your peers with their first job. Great people

Cons

The job will teach you quick that life is not all about the money. Work/life balance does not exist. Now you have the flexibility to work 50 hours and go home if you want to. However, you will not do a good job. And Aldi does not hire people that will not do a good job.