ALDI

www.aldi.us
Employer Engaged

Very physical Job but good place to work.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are excellent compared to similar jobs in that industry. Advancement is easy with some seriously hard work and attention to detail. No politics when it comes to advancement just good old fashion hard work and I'm glad because I have no idea how to schmooze and have no desire to. I've seen people promoted in their early 20's here for store management positions and i've also seen a turn around time of 2 years or less for store managers and that salary is not far off from what a Phd would make with 8-12yrs of schooling.

Cons

Now for the bad news, which i'm happy to say isn't that bad. You are working hard. Some jobs will have a janitor, a number of sales associates, stockers, assistant manager and supervisors on staff in one shift. You are all those things. Even though ALDI is known for allowing it's employees to sit down and ring customers up please do not believe for a second that this is going to be the norm. Aldi is in the midst of change and the challenge of having minimal bodies and a crap load of work is changing, among other things, so the future looks much brighter.

They are already working on those aspects of store operations that I find to be problematic. But thx for bringing more people aboard.

Not just a cashier

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits are some of the best out there. The hours are better than most. You need to have availability from 5 AM to 10 PM.

Cons

This job entails a lot of physical labor. You will be responsible for down-stacking pallets in order to stock the store. This is a daily occurrence. Everyone in the store must be able to do this. It is not just a sit down cashier job. Not a lot of opportunity for promotions.

Shift Manager

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Friendly and professional management. Great pay and benefits.

Cons

You earn your compensation. Physically demanding.

Love this job!

Current Employee - Warehouse Selctor in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Warehouse Selctor in Olathe, KS

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

love the challenges to meet haul Time deadlines. Very physical job and it's not for everybody. Great benefits and pay is awesome.

Cons

During peak season expect long hours, and wish upper management would tell us more about changes that affect us, like 401k changes or how to reset the warehouse to benefit the workers, instead of the confusion we all face when a change happens with the pick path.

Very great company to work for

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

It's a fast paced working environment

Cons

Some may be worried about the hours but you do whatever it takes to get the job done

Keep motivating

Hard but amazing

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Pay, benefits, employees. Paid lunches.

Cons

No personal time whatsoever for me.

No more before you try to train someone.

Great pay, hard labor

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Great pay, got to wear jeans every day

Cons

Hard work, long hours, remind managers you need a break in 16 hour shift

Shift Manager, and former cashier

Current Employee - Aldi Shift Manager in Kewanee, IL
    Current Employee - Aldi Shift Manager in Kewanee, IL

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay at ALDI is well above average. The job is really never boring. The benefits are pretty decent. If you work yourself hard enough you will be promoted to at least Shift manager in a short period of time. This company is rapidly growing so there is always an opportunity to move up within the nonsalaried pay ranks if you are willing to commit yourself to working hard and working often. After 6 months of employment you get one week of vacation, after a year of employment you get another week of vacation. The company has an HSA account ($1000 that goes toward your medical expenses) for every employee with medical insurance.

Cons

This job is not for those with small children as the hours you will work make it difficult to maintain a good work/family balance. You will work from 1pm to 9 or 10pm one day and then have to be at work at 5:30am the very next day. You will not get weekends off unless requested. There are no more than 6-12 employees per store. You will not get two days off in a row. The medical insurance is good in theory, meaning it's Cigna, so it is actually very difficult to find a doctor that is "in network" or that even takes your insurance. The District managers are quite literally fresh out of college and are very inexperienced. ALDI does not believe in positive reinforcement so if you cannot handle criticism this is not the job for you. ALDI does not give raises every year. After t\you've "topped out" they give you a "bonus check" that is supposed to compensate for any raises you feel like you should be getting. You will be considered full-time if you work 25 or more hours. Overtime is not usually possible and is strongly discouraged. Your hours will range in the 30 to 35 area, and if your store is not making sales that month your hours will be cut. As a shift manager or higher you will be expected to make ALDI your life. You are not allowed to clock out for lunch. You get one 15 minute break if you work 5-6 hours and two 15 minute breaks if you work 7+ hours, no more.

Honesty is the best policy, consider being more forthcoming when hiring about the job's hours.

Just don't bother

I worked at ALDI

Pros

There are no pros to working here. My experience was really negative and I regret wasting my time with them.

Cons

Job presented as direct hire and the last minute was changed to temp-to-hire. Two weeks after starting I received an email from a different recruiter than the one that placed me - FOR MY JOB. They never provided me with any feedback and I was never trained for the job advertised, not given anything to do - I had to make up stuff to do. It was all very, very shady. The rest of the staff was very cliquish and there is no cooperation between areas at all, no room for new ideas.

Brutal work environment, not for 40+ year olds.

Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Above average pay, decent benefits. Promotions are available due to the lack of retention of employees. Good job for those appreciate intense working conditions.

Cons

Extremely tight and unreasonable labor budgets. High turnover due to excessive work loads and minimal staffing. Not
    a long term position for most people.

Come to grips with reality, stop working/oppressing employees into leaving their employment.