ALDI

www.aldi.com

ALDI Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros
  • Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees (in 38 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 24 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

You work hard and get paid well for it.

Cashier/Shift Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFast paced work makes the days go by very quickly. 6am early start to your shift means you also get off early, sometimes before noon if everything is done. The pay and benefits are great. I have yet to find a company that even comes close to what ALDI has to offer an hourly employee. If you like to work hard and work with others that do too, ALDI is a great job.

ConsHigh turnover - Unfortunately hundreds of people apply for a job at ALDI because they think they can sit down all day at work but the job is far more demanding. Most people quit within 6 months to a year because they find out it’s much harder than they had expected.

VERY GOOD COMPANY WITH GOOD PAY AND BENEFITS

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI was a store manager,and I was very impressed with their training and the system in place that Aldi developed to run their stores.You worked hard and you were always busy,but I liked that because I always felt very productive and the days went by fast.They paid very well (but you definitely earned it)and there were good benefits.Great employees and positive atmosphere.

ConsWish they would promote more from within the company.District Managers were hired & trained seperately,so you couldn't advance from the store manager position.I was promised something by word and a handshake by upper management....but when things didn't go the way that they wanted,they didn't give me the deal that was promised.Seem to care a little bit more about the bottom line/profit,than their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within/especially allow store managers to be promoted to district managers-after all,they already have so much knowledge at the store level.Think about giving store managers a bonus based on sales volume increases,employee productivity,etc.Last,but definitely not least,care more about your employees,and when you promise them something,make good on that promise.

Overworked with no appreciation shown for hard work

Cashier (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosstarting pay is around 11.25/ hour
    Medical benefits are very good but I suspect they only offer it so you stay healthy and they can work you harder.
    2 personel days and 3 sick days after trail period. Paid holidays.
    401k which keeps climbing due to more and more people shopping there.

ConsGood luck getting a whole weekend off. I have been told its retail so not to expect it.
    Many of the customers are rude. They expect you to bow and kiss their feet.
    No communication between anyone. The district manager is a micromanaging control freak who has no real concept of running a store except what he put on paper in college.
    Expectations are totally warped. The 25 something customer buying the gas grill cant lift the dam thing in their car but its expected of us to do it for them. i didnt sign up to be a dam mover. If the cust cant do it themselves then bring someone who can help.
    after putting in 23 hours in two day, god forbid if you are ever thanked for the extra time. I sure as hell wasnt. In a nutshell, if you have any preconcieved ideas about how great working at aldi is, just think the opposite and read each and every other review in this web site because it will give you a pretty good picture of what it really is like. Are we all angry ex employees who have been fired??No, some of us still work for the company because we have bills and need the money to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead each and every one of these reviews. It will show you how the majority of employees are miserable and take note of their complaints.
    Will this portion ever get to management....??????? Hell no but it gives prospective employees food for thought before they apply are accept a job offer

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Aldi is not the answer

Shift Manager/Cashier (Current Employee) Olathe, KS

ProsDecent pay and decent benefits

ConsBut a rat race to try to do all that is expected. High turnover and low moral is common

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to run stores with only 2 people at a time

Horrible company

Shift Manager/Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsPay and benefits
    usually nice customers

ConsManagement doesn't care about employees. You are overworked and expected to go a million miles an hour, while not missing or messing up a thing. You are made to stay after schedule almost every shift. Most of the promises made my the district manager during your interview will never happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of your employees, take credit for your own mistakes.

Opinions are based on experience, not judgement

Operations Assistant (Former Employee) Haines City, FL

ProsToo quick to throw off or under the bus without reason. Lack of respect for great workers

ConsControversial of unexperienced management based on training process not experience

store manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prosbenefits, paid vaca,great pay,fast paced,closed holidays

Consmicro management,in consistanties,bosses with no to little management experience

Excellent place to work if you're willing to put in the work

Store Associate (Current Employee) Oak Ridge, TN

Pros-Good starting wages and benefits
    -If you're a good worker the Store Manager will give you the earlier shifts, which results in getting off early (haven't had to close in about a month).
    -They Store Manager will also help you to get promoted (which is in the works now).

ConsI have the fastest ring time in the store and by far faster than anybody else, and no compensation for it. The hours can fluctuate depending on how well the store is doing unless you are a Store Manager or MT.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your employees that have the fast ring times, I have been at the top since the store opened and I just get a good job every once in a while. Other than that, I am happy with the store and the direction I am headed with the store!

Back breaking work, cashiers expected to do everything

Cashier (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsCan not think of any

ConsThe cashier doesn't just ring up the items. They also are required to unload HUGE pallets of boxes. You are required to use a pallet jack, unload the pallets by yourself every day for HOURS. Usually there is about 12 pallets to unload everyday. You must lift the heavy boxes/items off of the pallet and the stock the shelves in 2 hours before the store opens. Once the store is open, you are the only cashier and you are still required to continue to unload the pallets and stock shelves all day while at the same time being the only cashier on duty. There are no stock clerks or cleaning crews. You are also required to it all....the register (1 cashier), unloading the truck, stocking shelves, and cleaning the store. IT SUCKED!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire stock people like every other grocery store chain. You will make your cashiers soooo much happier.

Clean out strategy!!!!

ProsGood insurance and pay but not worth it

ConsThere is something crazy going on within the company. In the last month or 2 they have been firing a lot of Aldi store managers... Like seriously one after another. There was nothing very substantial about what they did to be terminated.. I feel they are pushing hard and setting them up on purpose. Maybe they are wanting to bring in a new batch of faces to run the store at much cheaper wages.. But the amount of devotion and effort it takes to keep a store afloat .. Making less will surely backfire on Aldi. There is some type of obvious strategy at hand I tell you. If you are in a situation right now as a GM where you are giving all you got and they are threatening you START DOCUMENTING EVERYTHING... EVERY TIME THEY VISIT. TRY TO EVEN RECORD THEM TALKING TO YOU. Write your hours down and just say yes sir or yes mam because they are looking for one little crack they toss you for. It's dirty... And it makes me sick they would treat hard working and loyal employees this way!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic and thank someone for a job well done

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!