ALDI Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014

Privately-Held Family Company

Pros
  • Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees (in 38 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 24 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

No balance.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Waterbury, CT
    Current Employee - Cashier in Waterbury, CT

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is fair. Fast paced enviroment.. Easy to move from cashier to Shift Supervisor. Benefits are great actually. You get to work with good people that have to be extremely hard working. Lazy people don't last.

Cons

Long hours, since its non union; I've worked `12 hour days with one 5 minute break. I'm never fast enough for expectations even though I'm the fastest cashier in my store. No work life balance. They say you can have a half hour lunch break during training, and two 15 minute breaks during an 8 hour shift... They say a lot of things. All Shift supervisors are under constant scrutiny from the District managers causing massive amounts of stress and pressure. I've been working there for a year and over a third of the staff has gone out on disability due to medical problems directly correlated to the speeds which you are expected to ring and work at. You are recorded on camera and the District manager see's you sitting for more than thirty seconds while (I am not exaggerating or kidding) ... let's say you are waiting for a senior citizen to unload groceries onto the conveyor belt, you will be reprimanded, this really happened to me. No matter what you do you will never be good enough, understand that and you'll understand half the game.

Stop working your employees to the breaking point.... Unless Aldi's corporate really likes paying disability leave, in which case have at it. wondering how many people have to go on disbility before Aldi's figures it out.

Great at first, but doesn't last forever

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

the pay is great
    Great benefits for full timework

Cons

All consuming job
    hefty work load
    impossible expectations
    No work/ life balance

Treat your employees better. Hire more people per store, so that the handful of employees on duty don't have to work so many hours

Awful Company to work

Current Employee - Manager Trainee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Holiday and overtime pay. Mandatory you must take your breaks but sometimes its impossible because there is a time constraint.

Cons

I am a MIT for about five months now. I was told i will sometimes unload and stock products and manage at the same time. Apparently i was mislead that my job is an everyday stacking, lifting. I have different bruises each day. Worse part of the training is store manager had no proper training to train employee. They transfer you from store to store and each store manager have different training. Management does not care about there employee. They care more about the productivity but never say thank you nor encourage you for the hardwork that you do. It was a hostile environment I am in. Store manager throw bags of potatoes because i overlook checking the product. They treat you like a piece of dirt. There is no morale. The DM does not do anything either.. I think they should not hire managers with bad temper. Affects customers, employee and gives negative bibes to the environment. Its not all about the money. Its more of treating employee with respect. Nobody is perfect and to achieve the 100 percent they should motivate employee to succeed. It was a contrast, they work you to the limit and no matter what you do is not good enough.

Treat employee with respect. Hire DM with experience who knows what theyre doing not fresh from college.
    I will not recommend this to anyone..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slavery at best

I worked at ALDI

Pros

There are no pros as there are no employees , just temp slaves

Cons

Constant berating, whipping, insults, not fit for anyone who respects themselves.
    Need to bring in the unions. But they wont last anyway because word is out.

This slave driving store won't last long.
    As we speak, new co. on your heels ready to undercut and treat employees with respect while providing same or better pay scale , benefits, and a solid schhedule that respects home and family. They are coming soon.

Great company, fast paced environment

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is by far the best you will get in retail. The benefits are wonderful. Stable company. Company has good values. If you are fresh out of high school, with no kids or have adult children that can care for themselves, you don't mind working efficiently and fast, and good with people, this job would be a good opportunity for you.

Cons

It's a very fast paced environment. You really have no social life. If you're a parent, finding babysitting for a constantly changing schedule can be rough.

Pay attention to employee morale, ask questions

No amount of hard work is enough.

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay a decent wage and have good benefits. You receive your first week of vacation after 6 months of employment.

Cons

Impossible time standards, incredibly negative attitudes trickle down from upper management. Extremely minimal store coverage (sometimes only employees on the clock at a time).

Spend a little extra on labor, and your employees will perform better.

Demanding

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Work hard enough and show you have some potential and you'll easily end up a shift manager, which will look good for future jobs.

If a store is right on the cusp of being a busy store (but not too busy), the system works well and both employees and customers will go home happy that day.

Cons

Very physically demanding without proper training being given in regard to lifting and stocking. Everyone at Aldi does every job around the store, yet most training time is devoted to ring speed and store appearance instead of how to unload a 6' mixed pallet in the mythical 25 minutes you're supposed to do it in without hurting yourself. At any given time, at least one shift or store manager from the stores in my area was out due to injury (always neck, back, and/or shoulder). Two had to leave due to permanent disability after 5+ years of service. They were both career store managers and were devastated when they found out that their job had physically broken them so badly, but it's easy to ignore the aches and pains when they come on slowly.

Getting days off for special occasions is always stressful and iffy, regardless of how far in advance you made your request and how many days you'd worked without a day off prior to that. You will receive phone calls to fill in at your store or other stores on almost every day off, even when you're on vacation.

The push to always improve on your previous performance was very motivating to me for the first few months, but after a while, the goals become unreachable, yet you will be berated for not achieving superhuman feats of strength and speed.

Criticism is given freely, especially by DMs, who also like to use shame and humiliation tactics on employees who are already desperate for their jobs and will do anything to stay. They often try to pit employees against each other in hopes of spurring on higher performance through aggressive competition.

Take a look at those stores that are starting to be busy stores and let them run for a while like that before pushing for leaner staff and better numbers. Even though 3 or 4 employees might seem extravagant by Aldi standards, when the numbers are good (but not yet 'great'), you'll find the happiest employees who actually want to come to work. You'll also find happier customers, as there's more time to spend on store appearance and fewer burnt-out employees avoiding eye contact. Also, physical training needs huge improvements. That will probably save you some money on Worker's Comp claims later.

great pay and benefits

Current Employee - Aldi District Manager  in  Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Aldi District Manager in Denton, TX

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

pay is great, very fast paced, off most major holidays

Cons

luck of te draw wit upper management, some good, some horrible leaders. Most other complaints probably typical of retail/grocery business, (no vacation during major holidays, if you are management you're on call 24/7, very demanding of your time and energy)

Conduct climate surveys of director level management to find out your poor leaders

Good job with good pay

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

The pay for a starting cashier is good and as long as you're willing to work hard, it's a good place to work. There's usually always something to do to keep you busy, which helps the day go by quickly.

Cons

Hours are inconsistent. Some weeks I worked over 40 hours, other weeks I was only scheduled for 20 hours (as a full-time cashier). As a result, it can be hard to create a budget for your life without knowing how many hours you'll work from week to week.

Don't overhire in preparation for holidays; this happened at my location and all of us full-time cashiers got 20 hours or less a week as a result. This really caused a drop in store morale.

Well-paying summer work.

I worked at ALDI

Pros

Starting pay. Management enthusiasm. Store-wide attitude of earning your keep. Efficient. Schedule flexibility.

Cons

Typical grocery store labor: dull. Busy doesn't necessarily mean engaged.

Pace is demanding. That's not a knock; it's a standard. Just be prepared.

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!