ALDI Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014
3.1

Privately-Held Family Company

Pros
  • Aldi is a great company to work for because of the pay and benefits, especially as a manager (in 48 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 33 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Confusing Company

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay for retail. Most stores are flexible with your schedule. Time and a half is always nice for overtime

Cons

They said in my interview that they only promote from within, which is very enticing then 2 months later they higher upper management off the street. Very rarely promote someone from the bottom to all the way to Store manager. All the ones I know now started one step below management.

District Managers need to stop lying in the interviews and quit making stuff up when an employee asks what they need to improve to be promoted

Aldi = Your Life

Current Employee - Aldi Shift Manager in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Aldi Shift Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Aldi is an experience like no other... You get paid above industry standards, you are offered excellent benefits, and you are offered opportunities to advance.

Cons

They want you to devote your entire life to working for their stores. They expect everything to be perfect at all times with minimal staff. They keep adding more and more work to your day but don't offer you any extra help to get it all done. Even though they pay good wages per hour you will not make that much money... They base their hours on the amount of sales, if your store does not make sales they cut your hours....

REMEMBER THAT WE ARE PEOPLE WITH LIVES THAT DO NOT INVOLVE ALDI! Just because you went to school for a business degree does not make you better than us. We are the people who are doing all of the work to help pay your salary! When you come into our stores and make everyone feel like crap because something is not "Aldi Standard" doesn't mean we are just neglecting our jobs... We are the ones who have to deal with real life situations that don't always fit into Aldi's plan... After five years and a million district managers later I have learned a lot so please don't act like I am an idiot.

good company

Current Employee - Selector in Jefferson, GA
    Current Employee - Selector in Jefferson, GA

I have been working at ALDI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you work alone, training takes 3 months. There is no personal growth within the company.
    flexible hours

Cons

lifting product and placing on a pallet.
    doing the same thing everyday.

Demanding, yet rewarding experience

Former Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Executive Level at a young age, freedom to make your own decisions and learn from the mistakes that you have made. Seeing the people you hire grow and develop around you is very satisfying.

Cons

It is almost like you are a Glorified Babysitter. There are very few times when you are rewarded for quality work. Same salary for all DMs regardless of sales volume of your stores. Salary dependent upon length with company.

Take it by the Horns, and be proactive. This is not a consulting position. Type A personality often recommended.

Working at Aldi

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Great place to work. Management seems to really care if employees are happy.

Cons

Not really any cons. I really enjoy working at Aldi.

Get out what you put in

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

Aldi provides each employee with a large amount of responsibility and expects hard work and initiative in return for great pay and benefits.

Cons

The upward mobility process is not very transparent.

Great culture

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

You work hard and time flies. Pays well for the work.

Cons

It can get a bit stressful.

Good place to work to work

Current Employee - Cashier in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Springfield, MO

I have been working at ALDI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company benefits for full time people

Cons

At the end of the day you still work in a grocery store

N/a

Think twice before accepting job offer. Seriously.

Current Employee - Store Associate
    Current Employee - Store Associate

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is decent. Honestly can't think of any other "pros".

Cons

Going in at 6am to unload pallets with just two other people. Being timed on EVERYTHING (how fast you ring up customers items, how quickly you complete the transaction, unloading pallets, etc.) that you do. If you don't get something done immediately because you have to jump on the register or a customer needs help, you'll hear about it. They claim that they do whatever they can to help a customer, but when you do, your productivity goes down and coworkers (shift managers) get angry with you. The training is TERRIBLE. The hours are ridiculous and leave you zero time to have an outside life. If you decide that you want part time (a casual associate) you might not get any hours at all. Not a good system. At all. Should you choose to accept the offer, you'll need PLENTY of energy drinks and a lot of tolerance. High stress, horrible employee relations, and not enough employees is just an equation for FAILURE. This company is flawed.

Training should be done appropriately. Not with outdated videos and binders full of worthless exams. There's an answer key in the back! Nothing like filling out a weeks worth of exams and putting false dates on them.. Maybe cut back on pay and get a few more people hired in. Managers should be trained fully before getting a store. Shift managers shouldn't be rude and give employees attitude.

Great, but extremely physical

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Aldi is a great company to work for because of the pay and benefits, especially as a manager.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the physicality of the job and the productivity goal the are required to run the store.