ALDI Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
654 reviews filtered by

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Corporate in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate in Batavia, IL

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Company culture, work life balance, professionalism, convenient west suburbs corporate campus, good salary, decent benefits.

Cons

Never know who is getting promoted, have to show your stuff and get specially selected.

Advice to Management

Offer more coaching to those who express interest in career advancement above and beyond just explaining the requirements.

2. Good pay

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Good pay good benefits

Cons

Not enough employees.. Streasful and very physical

Advice to Management

Hire more employees

A positive working experience where you are given more responsibility to accomplish more.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Hours can be very flexible, major holidays are off, the benefits are great. Promotion is mainly based off work ethic, not how long one has been there.

Cons

Work schedule very sporadic, usually not given until 3 or 4 days before the next week begins. Possibility to travel to stores in which you didn't get hored at

Advice to Management

Enforce standards and goals. With limited staff, one persons slack causes a lot of setback.

Don't trust the interview

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are fantastic. If you're in a store that cares to train you, you'll go far.

Cons

Most managers I've come across expect you to know everything without training you and have an "well, I had to do (some terrible thing), so you do too". I've been lied to on numerous occasions, including the interview (I was told work-life balance existed there- it absolutely does not). And if you're sexually harassed by your boss, the company will not investigate it and blame you for it.

Advice to Management

Be true to your commitments, understand that your people are people and have lives, take HR issues seriously.

ALDI District Manager Internship

Former Intern - Aldi District Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Intern - Aldi District Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at ALDI as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is ridiculously high for an internship.
    The other interns I met, the mentors I had, the executives of the company are all AMAZING. They are wonderful and absolutely care about what you are doing and really care about you. The VP of the district would ask me about how my half marathon went, and always remembered the details.
    The company works to make the internship a REAL experience. You directly shadow multiple DMs and Executives, have to actually present a real project to the company, sit in on all their meetings, literally hire and interview people, you do it all.
    They will hire people who are of mostly any year in school, so as a sophomore in college I got this internship.
    The company culture is amazing.

Cons

The MAIN and pretty much only con was that the work/life balance is not there. Realistically though, they pay really well and there will always be a trade off for this. So it depends how much you love the work. Personally, I didn't find the work rewarding, but that was because I knew off the bat I wasn't interested in the work and just wanted to get some good interning experience. Most DMs work 50-60 hours a week and seem to basically live at work/ live their lives for work. It's a very rigorous environment where you are expected to be top notch all of the time. They are more stuck in the German ways of the company even in the US-- which means they are somewhat outdated and very rigorous with their work ethic.

Advice to Management

Find a way to make the work/life management more realistic to the times of today.

Order Selector

Current Employee - Order Selector in Oak Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Order Selector in Oak Creek, WI

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Great pay, great insurance and part time. Nice yearly raises. You can plan your own schedules more or less by letting management know ahead of time. They prefer time taken off to be during the week instead of weekends. Cameras all over warehouse so if you are accused of doing something you didn't do, you can go to management to review the footage.

Cons

Physically hard on the body, too many workers have been injured and messed up back, neck, shoulders, hands and arms for life. Working every other weekends is tough on a family, I worked in the freezer side and no matter how hard you worked you were cold...and you always work hard enough to sweat so then its even worse in the freezer. They provide the gear, but I don't think they make anything to keep you warm in 0 degree freezer. Pallets have fallen off from 2 stories high narrowly missing a coworker. You only get 2 15 minute breaks unless you work 8 hours (which is rare). Plan on working holidays (except Christmas). A lot of co-worker back stabbing and blaming.

Advice to Management

Nothing wrong with stair stacking. It can save Aldi in workman comp claims and is easier on the Selector's body.

8. Hard work but great pay and benefits

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Easton, PA
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Easton, PA

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Physically will get you in shape quick.

Cons

If your staff is not trained well you will undoubtedly work more than you anticipated.

Advice to Management

If you are not hands on and ready to sweat, you will not.be successful here.

Face paced work, great pay and benefits.

Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier
    Former Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, full benefits including medical, vision, dental insurance and 401k. Many opportunities to advance. Great workout! Environmentally responsible, recycling and reducing waste is a big plus!

Cons

Usually, at the store I worked in, there were only two to three people on the clock at all times. There is a lot of work to be done, long hours. It is stressful due to only having one other employee working with you. Hard to balance home and work life due to constantly having to work beyond scheduled hours.

Advice to Management

I loved working for this company, I agree with all of the values and practices of the business. My only advice is to have more people working before open to get as much of the truck put out as possible.

10. Well led company high high expectations

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

High compensation, high responsibility, and a quality product to sell

Cons

Work comes first always. Repetitive nature of work.

Advice to Management

Take note and take action with a VP or a Director is spreading a negative culture that need not be

This job will kill you, but it could be worth it.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Cashier in Independence, MO

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work keeps you in shape. The benefits are decent and the pay is very good, for a grocery store.

Cons

Don't expect to get off work on time. EVER. And, if one person slacks off just a little, it puts the whole operation behind. Don't forget trying not to run down the customers that jump in front of your jacks.

Advice to Management

Hold the slackers accountable instead of blaming management for not "re-training people properly". Sometimes people just need to be let go.