ALLDATA Reviews

12 reviews filtered by
  • Elk Grove, CA
2.0
Jeffery W. Lagges

It beats digging ditches for a living...I guess

Current Employee - Supervisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job. Salaried employees have the option to VPN on occasion, though the "work from home methodology" is not endorsed nor supported. If you work in Customer Service or Sales, you'll have an easier time finding a new job than most anyone else, save for those who have actual QA or coding/programming experience.

Cons

Management admits there is no room for growth; the only time you have the ability to move up is when someone retires, dies, or gets fired. Since the senior management is not concerned with grooming their subordinates for ascension up the ladder, they then decide to hire predominantly from outside because as they see it "nobody internally is ready for promotion". Even then, probably 90% of the time the position is not backfilled but absolved and the workload unevenly distributed to the remaining staff with no increase in compensation, and rarely is there any recognition or acknowledgement of the added workload aside from the "make it happen or else" attitude.

Management has little to no idea what consequences it has when committing the same resources to several projects all with competing deadlines, leaving multiple projects failing due to stretched thin and overloaded resources. They have Project Managers but they fail to listen to what they say. Forget about hiring new people to help, it's difficult enough as it is just to backfill an existing position. Attrition is an all-too common keyword around here.

Perception is that all management cares about is making their annual bonuses (which are based, in contract, off the parent company AutoZone's annual EBIT, not off our own - so there is no consequence for these managers when ALLDATA does not meet their financial obligations). The only recourse for failed EBIT is to strip the lower level employees (grade 14 and below) of any appreciation and or potential for merit increases beyond a ridiculously low standard, even if their departments exceeded their FY objectives. This is usually done to pay back AutoZone for any amount missed on the EBIT.

Did I mention that only grade 15 and above are eligible for bonus? Yet there are plenty of grade 13-14 supervisors who are the backbone of this company, and get shafted year after year. There used to be sick time as well, AutoZone removed it three CEOs ago in order to raise the value of their stock. Though with California passing the sick time state law AutoZone will be forced to address this again. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the sick time from our vacation/PTO to cover this.

Parent company openly idolizes the Wal*Mart business ethics/practices regarding employee treatment, benefits and compensation. If it weren't for California employment laws, we probably wouldn't even get half of what we currently get as far as benefits and compensation. We don't receive any type of COLA, only annual merit increases typically capped at 2-3% which is offset by the annual increase in benefits cost, typically in the 10-15% range. So even though on paper it shows that you make more, you in reality bring home less year after year. It's only possible to get more than 3% if you can "exceed expectations" which is openly excused by upper management as impossible due to the parent company - who denies the allegations. Also, your annual merit increase is decided well in advance of the annual review process, so even if you have exceeded and can prove it on paper your manager and their manager have already decided upon what your increase will be and set it in stone - so why even bother putting in any effort on the self review? Oh right, somebody in AutoZone might read it and heaven forbid you don't have a good effort, then you'll get to hear about it.

This used to be such a great place to work, but it's done nothing but decline over the last 10 years. Time for a change, and fair warning to anyone joining this team going forward.

Advice to Management

Might as well shutter the windows and doors and let the whole operation go to Memphis with AutoZone HQ, or DataZone in Mexico. Focusing on expanding into new global markets without taking care of the current domestic customer base of 80k+ is going to have negative results in the long run. Why can everyone here see it, except management?

2. A company that used to be the leader in automotive software and is now playing catch up to all of the competition.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA

Pros

Great employees, free coffee and tea.

Cons

Absolutely no leadership or vision with zero communication to the employees as to the How and Why.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate and get a marketing plan in place. Can't drive sales with no marketing and no vision.

Advise against considering as an option for work

Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at ALLDATA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good coworkers. Flexible schedule. A product that customers like ...

Cons

As a manager or below, you are a cog in the wheel. You have a J-O-B. Senior "leadership' doesn't care about people. Even though it was the rank and file who created the product that has lined their pockets for years.

Company financial targets began to slip so they started desperately looking for ways to cut costs. You can draw your own conclusions on how they plan to do that. They turned over middle management several times while I was there and the results continued to be the same ... Glad I got out when I did.

They told us more than once, "We're going to launch a "test" product in Europe so we don't alienate the North American market ..." I admit I don't have an MBA, but testing a product in a market as big as Europe does not sound like a good idea to me.

Advice to Management

As was mentioned in a different post -- ask yourself what you have actually contributed to the company that justifies your compensation over the years.

5. Low stress, 9 to 5 environment.

Current Contractor - Technical Editor in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Contractor - Technical Editor in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

People at ALLDATA are very friendly, welcoming and laid back.

Cons

The corporate culture does not hold people accountable for doing their jobs, showing up to meetings, or responding to emails. It's quite astonishing that the company stays afloat.

Advice to Management

Your company and your products have so much potential, yet the perception is that no one cares about your bottomline. A management/individual contributor shakedown would benefit your profit margins by paying salaries to people that earn them. I'm in disbelief on how loosely things are managed/mismanaged at ALLDATA.

Underpaid

Current Employee - Technical Support in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a job. It is a job. It is a job.

Cons

Horrible management. There is no direction and they are trying to copy Apple business model which is silly for the industry they are in. Town hall meetings were about how Apple does things.

The worst employee atmosphere EVER!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at ALLDATA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only good thing about working here is you have a J.O.B. They have some decent medical insurance, but nothing good beyond that. If you need a job desperately, then this will work for you. If you have a job, do not quit it to work for this company. It will be one of the worst decisions you ever make.

Cons

This place will micro manage you till you can't take the pressure anymore. They expect you to work 24/7/365. Imagine if you will, you are enjoying Christmas with your family and you get 2 to 3 emails about making sure you have some work set up for the following day. Go out and sell, sell, sell. They have absolutely no respect for family, holidays or vacation time. They do this EVERYDAY! I am not exagerating folks. There have a been a lot of people quiting this company in the last year. That should tell you something!
    You will never get a promotion at this company. All upper management is hired off the street, not from within.

Advice to Management

Management has no idea what they are doing. As long as they get theirs, everyone else can just suffer. Although I heard on good authority they replaced the main cause of this companies problems, they didn't fire him, they just demoted him several levels and fired the guys below him. Amazing how some people fair thru the negitive issues they created.

Lies and more lies!!

Current Employee - Senior UI Developer in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Senior UI Developer in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Only weekends ..oh don't forger the crappy coffee and the tea ..

Cons

No room for growth.. Company is plunging down due to the lack of direction upper management has

Advice to Management

Stop sugar coating the reviews .. Most of the good reviews come from probably the CEO family which makes this company a family business ( entire family is employ here)

If you love technology, innovation, and working in a competitive environment - you need to be here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New suite of products including mobile apps! New building, easy going staff and management. Great place if you need little or no supervision and take complete ownership of your work. Really nice gym. Huge parking lot, no stressful downtown style BS parking. Generous 401k and flex time for some positions. Coffee, tea, water, fresh fruit is provided by management. Warning: if you are looking for a state type gig, you will not like it here, new management, staff, and company direction will push you to bring fire to the table daily.

Cons

Not impressed with health insurance benefits from AutoZone.

Advice to Management

Way too many negative people taking up space and resources. You know who they are, cut em some severance and give them the boot. These people drag morale and productivity to the floor.

The best job experiences of my life have happened here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company has long term stability and reasonable expectations. Management is improving over time and attrition rates are falling. There is still a familial culture in place, and long term employees are helpful and welcoming to new hires.

Cons

Compensation packages are on the low side of average. Parent company imposes cultural structure that is at times a poor fit for a technology company. There are too many meetings without formal agendas.

Advice to Management

Institute a profit sharing program that moves all the way down through the organization. Most of the retention this company enjoys is produced by people who fall below the threshold for bonuses and much of the new product development is produced and managed by people who fall below bonus thresholds. Re-study hourly versus salary rules and decisions, and treat all employees as though they are valued and respected.

Mixed Signals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally a nice work environment, and most peers are willing to assist with any issues or questions as soon as they can.

Cons

Management seems untrustworthy. Some claim to bee company people, then the next month they're gone. Others that stay seem to be in it for themselves only, although they say otherwise.

Advice to Management

Develop and personalize ways to help us as employees, and us as a company rather than trying to wedge off-the-shelf "solutions" into our environment.