ALLDATA Reviews

34 reviews filtered by
2.0
Jeffery W. Lagges

1. Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time

Pros

The pay can be great

Cons

constantly changing comp plan and compensation

2. What use to be a wonderful family oriented office has now turned into nothing more than a numbers game.

I worked at ALLDATA

Pros

Good hours, location and there is a gym, that's pretty decent.

Cons

Cliques within the office, favoritism to the point of being bullied, severe mismanagement, no room for advancement unless you are the related to someone. Bait and switch with regards to annual reviews and raises. Should I continue. Not in touch with today's technologies and very poor sales assistance.

Advice to Management

Bring back the magic of family vs numbers and you might see an increase in your revenue. People like to work with there bosses side by side, not under them with a foot on their neck.

3. Joke

I worked at ALLDATA

Pros

It used to be a good place to work. Then senior management changed.

Cons

Horrible management. Totally clueless.

5. Good company in general

I worked at ALLDATA

Pros

Good pay especially if you have (and manage to keep) a good territory.

Cons

Territories and sales staff employment contracts keep changing....and this makes many on the sales team unhappy employees. New top sales management has his hands full just learning about the ins and outs of the company and the products we sold. This is now an AutoZone owned company and just doesn't seem to have that local company appeal. The "AZ cheer" makes everyone including management very uncomfortable. Just my opinion but I think this company would do better if it was not an Autozone owned company.

Advice to Management

Consult a group of sales folks like an advisory committee on a regular basis to find out what works and what doesn't.
    The success of the company rides on the success of the sales team. If they are more involved in the big decisions...they will pull together better and be happier employees.

6. A company that used to be the leader in automotive software and is now playing catch up to all of the competition.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA

Pros

Great employees, free coffee and tea.

Cons

Absolutely no leadership or vision with zero communication to the employees as to the How and Why.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate and get a marketing plan in place. Can't drive sales with no marketing and no vision.

Advise against considering as an option for work

Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at ALLDATA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good coworkers. Flexible schedule. A product that customers like ...

Cons

As a manager or below, you are a cog in the wheel. You have a J-O-B. Senior "leadership' doesn't care about people. Even though it was the rank and file who created the product that has lined their pockets for years.

Company financial targets began to slip so they started desperately looking for ways to cut costs. You can draw your own conclusions on how they plan to do that. They turned over middle management several times while I was there and the results continued to be the same ... Glad I got out when I did.

They told us more than once, "We're going to launch a "test" product in Europe so we don't alienate the North American market ..." I admit I don't have an MBA, but testing a product in a market as big as Europe does not sound like a good idea to me.

Advice to Management

As was mentioned in a different post -- ask yourself what you have actually contributed to the company that justifies your compensation over the years.

It beats digging ditches for a living...I guess

Current Employee - Supervisor in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job. Salaried employees have the option to VPN on occasion, though the "work from home methodology" is not endorsed nor supported. If you work in Customer Service or Sales, you'll have an easier time finding a new job than most anyone else, save for those who have actual QA or coding/programming experience.

Cons

Management admits there is no room for growth; the only time you have the ability to move up is when someone retires, dies, or gets fired. Since the senior management is not concerned with grooming their subordinates for ascension up the ladder, they then decide to hire predominantly from outside because as they see it "nobody internally is ready for promotion". Even then, probably 90% of the time the position is not backfilled but absolved and the workload unevenly distributed to the remaining staff with no increase in compensation, and rarely is there any recognition or acknowledgement of the added workload aside from the "make it happen or else" attitude.

Management has little to no idea what consequences it has when committing the same resources to several projects all with competing deadlines, leaving multiple projects failing due to stretched thin and overloaded resources. They have Project Managers but they fail to listen to what they say. Forget about hiring new people to help, it's difficult enough as it is just to backfill an existing position. Attrition is an all-too common keyword around here.

Perception is that all management cares about is making their annual bonuses (which are based, in contract, off the parent company AutoZone's annual EBIT, not off our own - so there is no consequence for these managers when ALLDATA does not meet their financial obligations). The only recourse for failed EBIT is to strip the lower level employees (grade 14 and below) of any appreciation and or potential for merit increases beyond a ridiculously low standard, even if their departments exceeded their FY objectives. This is usually done to pay back AutoZone for any amount missed on the EBIT.

Did I mention that only grade 15 and above are eligible for bonus? Yet there are plenty of grade 13-14 supervisors who are the backbone of this company, and get shafted year after year. There used to be sick time as well, AutoZone removed it three CEOs ago in order to raise the value of their stock. Though with California passing the sick time state law AutoZone will be forced to address this again. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the sick time from our vacation/PTO to cover this.

Parent company openly idolizes the Wal*Mart business ethics/practices regarding employee treatment, benefits and compensation. If it weren't for California employment laws, we probably wouldn't even get half of what we currently get as far as benefits and compensation. We don't receive any type of COLA, only annual merit increases typically capped at 2-3% which is offset by the annual increase in benefits cost, typically in the 10-15% range. So even though on paper it shows that you make more, you in reality bring home less year after year. It's only possible to get more than 3% if you can "exceed expectations" which is openly excused by upper management as impossible due to the parent company - who denies the allegations. Also, your annual merit increase is decided well in advance of the annual review process, so even if you have exceeded and can prove it on paper your manager and their manager have already decided upon what your increase will be and set it in stone - so why even bother putting in any effort on the self review? Oh right, somebody in AutoZone might read it and heaven forbid you don't have a good effort, then you'll get to hear about it.

This used to be such a great place to work, but it's done nothing but decline over the last 10 years. Time for a change, and fair warning to anyone joining this team going forward.

Advice to Management

Might as well shutter the windows and doors and let the whole operation go to Memphis with AutoZone HQ, or DataZone in Mexico. Focusing on expanding into new global markets without taking care of the current domestic customer base of 80k+ is going to have negative results in the long run. Why can everyone here see it, except management?

9. Low stress, 9 to 5 environment.

Current Contractor - Technical Editor in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Contractor - Technical Editor in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

People at ALLDATA are very friendly, welcoming and laid back.

Cons

The corporate culture does not hold people accountable for doing their jobs, showing up to meetings, or responding to emails. It's quite astonishing that the company stays afloat.

Advice to Management

Your company and your products have so much potential, yet the perception is that no one cares about your bottomline. A management/individual contributor shakedown would benefit your profit margins by paying salaries to people that earn them. I'm in disbelief on how loosely things are managed/mismanaged at ALLDATA.

this is a confuse company

Former Employee - Outside Field Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Outside Field Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ALLDATA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The upper management is lost

Cons

This is a autozone company

Advice to Management

Quit! you have no idea what your are doing and doing to your employees

Sales Rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great company to work for!

Cons

Micro manage now and they are more concerned about how many accounts I see daily than the bottom line - SALES!

Advice to Management

Have more respect for the field and get their input! They are your eyes and ears in the field!