ALM

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bill Carter

Very Limited Growth Potential

Middle Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at ALM full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMany talented, devoted, multi-faceted employees regardless the lack-luster compensation and gloomy environment.

ConsLimited growth opportunities. Sub-standard pay for a "digital media" provider. Unbalanced compensation scheme. Lay-offs are number one way of balancing the books. Mediocre office space. Mediocre benefits. Work-life balance is not supported. No bonuses. Cost-of-living raises at best. High-demand with Low-compensation. Uninspired workplace. Very low morale amongst the employee pool. Extreme corporate mentality amongst C-suite.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your most productive employees. Make compensation transparent, fair, and logical.

Potential employees, please look elsewhere

I worked at ALM full-time for more than a year

ProsSome great employees including middle management who will soldier on despite the disrespectful way they are treated. The break room is nice.

ConsManagement is terrible and only concerned with selling the company. But the fact that there hasn't been any real progress in at least a year, despite the increasingly desperate downsizing, shows how little value the company has.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe sale is never going to happen without any real investment in your products; letting them waste away, particularly the digital products, only devalues the company. For example, the web products are a mess obvious to anyone after minimal use. Those in charge of new products are technologically underqualified. The data is inaccurate, the features inconsistent, and the design is dated. Please review your senior management team, they are nameless faces to most employees and inspire little confidence.

Digital First

I have been working at ALM full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat team environment within the Ad Ops department.

ConsReactive vs. Proactive approach to digital

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve your Jr team members in decision making. They are in the trenches everyday and can offer really valuable insight.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work environment, bush league upper mgmt

I worked at ALM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCasual work environment with smart, friendly, people

ConsFew opportunities for upward mobility unless the NY bosses liked you. Never knew what it wanted to be when it grew up: in the 5 years I was there it rebranded 3 times. Salaries aren't great (unless, again, you're in with the in crowd).

Advice to Senior ManagementI left before the current mgmt came on board so I can't say - the old guard was mostly all booted out.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

stagnant but changing

I have been working at ALM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are positive changes going on that will probably mean positive changes for employees who choose, and are given the choice, to see it through. Based on the past, I would not recommend this employer but the future looks better.

Consabysmal raises coupled with much more work than originally signed on for due to layoffs, qualified by the above statement that positive change is occurring so might be a good time to jump on board

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving in a positive direction. Value your employees and they will value the company.

Long hours, little rewards, many changes.

I worked at ALM

ProsFriendly co wokers, generally supportive,

ConsThe company seems to get bought and sold every year. Its hardest-working employees get penalized with pay cuts, stagnant pay, little rewards, no advancement. If you're young and looking for some experience, work here for 1-2 years and get out. If you're established in your career, or older, just don't work here. Protocol is to hire young, pay less. ALM doesn't respect intelligent, hard working people - they want people with some intelligence or those they can groom into being a tool for the company. Management and investors reward themselves. Management is generally very weak or given limited resources from the top. This company could use a union. Many people who worked here over the years had pay cuts and then formed new ventures/started new ventures. ALM cuts, cuts and cuts - might as well just cut out the entire company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting/shaving costs and invest in your own people and you'll stop losing your market share and respect in the industry.

Great people make this company

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at ALM full-time for more than a year

ProsDowntown Manhattan. Great atmosphere. Great people that take care of each other. A company that tries to do the right thing. Good products that are highly valued in the marketplace.

ConsLots of change in a short time. Some good some bad. Lots of new management that are in a hurry to succeed and are still learning the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in your people. Don't lay off employees to improve bottom line profits. May solve short term problems but won't be best in the long run.

ALM Marketing Coordinator

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at ALM full-time for more than a year

Prosthe people are great, friendly work environment, is very relaxed, the location is super nice and easily accessible, casual dress

Consno upward mobility, low raises, management is not trained well and lacks giving proper direction. They have had bi-yearly lay offs over the past few years.

Advice to Senior Managementmanage

Finally a B2B media company that gets digital

I have been working at ALM

ProsI have been working in B2B media for over 10 years and this is the first time I can say I've seen a company that gets digital. Other companies are fighting to protect print, still writing for print. At ALM its all about digital - writing for digital, launching apps, overhauling design of all its websites.

If you don't get digital or display signs of resistance you are being shown the door. That has made some people uneasy, but it's required. The old regime was asleep at the wheel. Executives that had no clue, no plan, and were riding the company into the ground. New team is approachable, strong vision, committed. I'm glad to see the change.

Been here 4 years now and love my co-workers. I have been promoted twice with pay increases during that time. I would not have said it a couple years ago, but it is a great place to work.

Cons-Periods of long hours as projects and deadlines dictate
-Commute to downtown NYC
-Strong spirit of accountability - need to hit deadlines and demonstrate results.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the last few hold-outs slow down the progress. Still some work to do to get your editors fully on board with a new market that is mobile and highly social.

Signs of positive transformation

I have been working at ALM full-time

ProsStrong digital strategy, new products coming out every few months, work with smart and passionate people

Conslonger than average work hours, commute to Downtown NYC

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investments in digital, stay the course

Worked for ALM? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ALM CEO Bill Carter. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by ALM employees.