ALM Reviews

2.5
Bill Carter

1. Had a great time here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Convenient location in Financial District
    - Interesting Projects
    - Get to see what it's like to work for a news publication company
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Company has been going through various transitions but that may not be a con for all people

Thank you for the good experience here

2. Chaotic, Confused and lack of Culture

Former Employee - Digital in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Standard benefit offerings; great location; great lighting. No Pros on job etc.

Cons

Poor and junior management; Strategy changes often without any clear direction; employee morale is very low it is depressing to observe

Focus more on your employees (development, training, recognition) and not the C-Level management and their egos.

3. Great to sorta sad

Current Employee - Editorial in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy going, flexible, family friendly. Low pressure environment. Well respected brands in the legal community and in journalism.

Cons

Multiple rounds of layoffs since 2013. Those who are left have the work load that several people were available for previously. Quality and moral are way down. A lot of talent have fled to better jobs.

Probably too late. damage is done.

5. From a former employee

I worked at ALM

Pros

Lots of room to cross train within the company. A convenient downtown location. The HR department is always available.

Cons

The management will sometimes send mixed messages when assigning projects and priorities. Because this is a publishing environment, do nor expect your salary to be as high in other industries.

Misleading

Current Employee - Advertising Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advertising Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health coverage and benefits are the only incentive for staying at this place

Cons

You are acknowledged, respected, rewarded or recognized for any team efforts that's displayed. HR is a joke and often times on the same playing field as your manager or director. The work load and salary do not equal the aggravation and non rewards often experienced in this company.

You need to restructure and retrain upper management in people skills. The company will continue to have a revolving door as long as the workers experience the manner of disregard most offer to their subordinates.

Good place to get experience, but that's about it.

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The editorial staff is good and there are lots of excellent reporters. For a young reporter just starting out, this is one of the best jobs you can have. You'll get tons of experience, learn a lot about the legal industry and get a ton of published clips to add to your portfolio. The money isn't great, but the fact they'll even pay is a step above most publications.

Cons

It's best to look at ALM as a stepping stone to another job. I hate to say that, because ALM has such great brand recognition in the legal industry, but it's true. I echo all the previous reviews saying that it's virtually impossible to be promoted. It happens, but only for a small group (and they'll often be promoted several times). It's not just sour grapes, either. There were many of us that all did well and got excellent evaluations all of the time. But none of us were even offered promotions and we ended up leaving. That sums up
    ALM in a nutshell. They can't hold on to their talent because they don't see us as talent. We're considered to be "content producers" instead of reporters and our numbers (traffic and number of articles written) are more important than quality. Executives love nothing more than launching new products and publications and will spend whatever profits the company makes towards expanding its media holdings. I think it's so they can justify their high subscription fees (meanwhile, most of these products overlap and contain the same stories). Towards the end of my tenure, they started talking about using software to generate stories automatically. That contributed to the poor morale.

Worry about putting out a good product and reward the people who make it possible. I understand the preoccupation with traffic but it's not everything. ALM has a specialized audience so it's never going to get Buzzfeed's numbers.

Good ideas, Bad management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Yes! ALM is transforming itself from traditional to digital publishing in an attempt to stay ahead of the curve. They have good and valuable research for the legal industry. With the recent re-acquisition by Wasserstein & Co., I see positive changes, though not in the areas you would expect. I see more so the benefit going towards upper management than mid-level employees.

Cons

Management is a big problem with ALM and one of the main things stopping ALM from progressing forward at the expense of the hard-working employee. I've noticed a trend of where good employees are under-valued, over-worked, under-paid, and then laid off. They are shy about giving you raises coupled with an over-eager commitment to increase your work load. They are cheap in investing on research and development, opting to penny pinch rather than investing more than their competitors to move the company along. I would not recommend ALM as a long term employer. By long term, I mean more than 2 years.

This is to Wasserstein & Co.. If you want ALM to be a productive and thriving company that shows, that shows a profit despite of economic inflation, then keep an eye on management. Make sure they are not using good employees to meet their budget goals by laying them off or refusing them raises or dump their responsibilities. Promote more management from within, seriously limit hiring management from outside. People like this do not care about the employees, only figures. Fire all upper management that DO NOT have PEOPLE SKILLS or do not VALUE employees, you lose more productive employees this way. Usually a tell tell sign is when good productive employees start leaving. I'm assuming you're looking for leaders not glorified butt kissers. DO NOT be cheap, give employees raises cause they deserve it and INVEST more in areas that matter.

It's a rollercoaster ride of constant change combined with a heavy workload.

Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You learn a lot writing by about important U.S. legal developments and issues. Decent pay for the industry. Dental benefits. Reporters have autonomy over how they use Twitter.

Cons

Many reporters don't have a say in what their beat is or in the direction of their career. It's a very top-down culture and annual goals are assigned without much, if any, input from the reporter. Managers are mostly concerned about increasing the volume of reporters' output. Professional development isn't encouraged even if the company isn't paying for it. Start-up culture with constant rollout of new digital initiatives and executive-level reshuffling. Some managers discourage vacations. High health plan deductibles. Non-lawyer journalists are often solely responsible for making sure story facts are right. Hard to get help and deadlines are firm even if the reporter simply doesn't know something about that legal matter.

More organization of content that isn't breaking news would improve work-life balance. Consistently train everyone at the beginning about the rules of criminal and civil procedure. Let employees use at least a token number of business hours per year (like 8, for example) to get off-site professional development even if you aren't paying for it.

Agree with the most recent reviews.

I worked at ALM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For employees who are just starting out on their career paths, this is a good place to stay for one year, get your experience and then move on. Just remember that there are good companies out there where managers and execs do care so don't use this company as a interpersonal role model.

Cons

Everything else. No leadership or vision at the top - huge problem for this tiny company.

Stop viewing the average employee as a liability and start viewing them as human assets. You are only as good as those working for you.

Lots of changes as they move from print to digital

I worked at ALM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. A majority of the employees are smart and energetic. Senior management does strive to keep the employees up-to-date on changes. The transition to digital is exciting and very fast-paced. Overall, it's a friendly place to work.

Cons

Promotions only if you're part of a small group of valued employees. Raises are minimal and health insurance premiums are ridiculous. As the staff shrinks, the work-load increases.