ALM Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.6

Bill Carter

Pros
  • The Philadelphia office is very laid back and the benefits package is not bad (in 7 reviews)

• I am so thankful to be back in a healthy work environment and am very positive about my future here (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Noisy and distracting bull pen environment, top heavy with senior management (and getting more so), (in 7 reviews)

• Not concerned about work/life balance and not good at sharing information with employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of changes as they move from print to digital

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance is good. A majority of the employees are smart and energetic. Senior management does strive to keep the employees up-to-date on changes. The transition to digital is exciting and very fast-paced. Overall, it's a friendly place to work.

Cons

Promotions only if you're part of a small group of valued employees. Raises are minimal and health insurance premiums are ridiculous. As the staff shrinks, the work-load increases.

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s no secret that ALM has been in transition for quite some time. I started here in May of 2013 and have seen a ton of changes, some of which I may not agree with but overall I understand the need to revamp the company. With that said, there is a lot of opportunity if you are motivated. I’ve never worked for a company that was so open minded and willing to listen to ideas. They have an open door policy that is unlike anything I’ve experienced especially in this industry.

I actually have quite a different story and felt it was important to share. I was in a role that I felt plateaued and was ready for change. For some, this job would be ideal. I never had work-related stress, my hours were amazing and my plate was never too full. But because I am young and hungry, I decided to leave and pursue a job at an agency. Within the first week I had realized I made a mistake and that ALM was truly the place to grow my career. Luckily, I had maintained strong ties and they offered to take me back but this time in a new role, which would expand my duties. I am so thankful to be back in a healthy work environment and am very positive about my future here. This is actually not uncommon; a few others have left and come back because it truly is a great place to work. I would say my favorite thing about the company is the people; they are amazing, warm, and overall very talented.

There are a lot of exciting projects currently going on to enhance our digital strategy. I would say now is the best time to join the company as it continues to grow.

Cons

If I had one piece of advice to give a potential candidate, it would be to stay motivated. I think it's easy to get comfortable and cruise from 9 to 5. However, if you are motivated and ready to step up to the challenge of helping push the company into a position of success, you will open more doors and feel fulfilled. This is the path I’ve chosen here and it has served me well.

Continue to listen to your younger employees. They are full of fresh ideas that will continue to grow the business.

Not what I thought

I have been working at ALM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Benefits...nothing else was great there

Cons

Office culture and politics of finger pointing for new comers is not something I expected...the blame game is up and running

Don't lie about the positions task and expectations...was not pleased to find out that you have to work like a slave for bare minimum salary...to top that off the company is bought and sold frequently and the month and a half I was on board the manager that hired me left...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed job before layoff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Congenial co-workers, flexible hours, casual dress permitted, fair evaluations, friendly management. Great location.

Cons

comprehensive training needed when introducing new software platforms. Open office layout does not promote exchange of ideas but reduces productivity due to surrounding noise.

Retrain employees instead of laying them off. Why terminate motivated employees with good evaluations who are eager to learn new skills.

Had Potential, But It Has Been Frittered Away

Current Employee - Lead Programmer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Programmer in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Build up to 4 weeks vacation in five years, reasonably flexible scheduling, lots of good people in middle management (until they get fired) and down at the rank and file level, payroll runs smoothly.

Cons

Noisy and distracting bull pen environment, top heavy with senior management (and getting more so),senior management is brought in from outside instead of being developed inside, no professional development and no promotion potential, anemic raises, and terrible annual review process openly biased to producing mediocre employee ratings. Worst of all, the company must successfully transform from a print-based company to a digital-first company in order to survive, but is making the transition in a slow and stumbling fashion.

Pay more attention to employee morale, implement an unbiased annual review process, reward successful middle managers, be more open to suggestions coming from below - the people making the suggestions may know more about the business than you do..

Transitioning

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

industry leader, multiple opportunities for the client

Cons

an uncertain long term future

better products for both clients and employees

Stop Complaining...

I have been working at ALM full-time

Pros

Get your work done and no one is on your case. Flexible work environment with hours and methods of doing your job. They have trimmed down the staff and given more responsibility to remaining staff which has created opportunities to learn new skills and improve old ones. Polish up your act and then move on.

Cons

Many employees have not figured out the new work paradigm…staying with the same company for 40 years is a dead way to advance. Low morale everywhere- mostly because many employees are disappointed that they're not getting something that is no longer a part of the American workplace. Publishing, in general, will continue to contract and evolve and this company is not ready for it.

I hope they can grow the company, but I have no advice for management. I'm not emotionally attached to this company or the job they provide. If I get laid off, I'll find something else…I have marketable and portable skills…and that's the new paradigm.

Great internship in Media

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at ALM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was able to work on social media and marketing campaigns and found the work to be on the leading edge for B2B media. The people I worked with were great!

Cons

Downtown NYC office was a little crowded; the team worked long hours as projects dictated.

Bring in larger teams of interns in cohorts

Definition of incompentency and complacence

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Select few intelligent employees
    Easy work hours
    Convenient location

Cons

Overall incompetence
    Poor leadership
    Business model stuck in the past
    Zero knowledge of the digital space
    Lack of growth or training
    Makes no effort to retain talent

Evolve or pass the torch. ALM desperately needs to adapt to the changing digital/programmatic space if they want to survive.

Transforming fast!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time

Pros

-Fast pace
    -great people that are very talented
    -Several recent promotions in our group
    -each day brings a new set of challenges

Cons

- each day brings a new set of challenges; transformation of a media company is hard
    - can bring long hours when critical deadlines approach

Continue to invest in your people; they are very talented and deserve the best!

Worked for ALM? Contribute to the Community!