ALM

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
2.5

Bill Carter

Pros
  • The Philadelphia office is very laid back and the benefits package is not bad (in 7 reviews)

• I am so thankful to be back in a healthy work environment and am very positive about my future here (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Noisy and distracting bull pen environment, top heavy with senior management (and getting more so), (in 7 reviews)

• Top management is a complete boys club and there is very little room to grow in your career (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Had a great time here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Convenient location in Financial District
    - Interesting Projects
    - Get to see what it's like to work for a news publication company
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Company has been going through various transitions but that may not be a con for all people

Thank you for the good experience here

Great to sorta sad

Current Employee - Editorial in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy going, flexible, family friendly. Low pressure environment. Well respected brands in the legal community and in journalism.

Cons

Multiple rounds of layoffs since 2013. Those who are left have the work load that several people were available for previously. Quality and moral are way down. A lot of talent have fled to better jobs.

Probably too late. damage is done.

An awful unappreciative work environment

I worked at ALM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

It's a total boys club

Wake up and smell the coffee

Good while it lasted

I worked at ALM

Pros

great, friendly staff and management and great building block in my career at one time. Built skills that I still utilize.

Cons

Massive layoffs and corporate restructuring the last few years costing good people jobs and spreading other people Way to thin. Quality and morale way down.

Good luck functioning with half a staff and further diminishing quality due to overwork ... I was unfortunate enough to be part of one of your many downsizings the last few years and it still hurts. Take lessons from the way the company was Many years ago when people cared.

Nice people but a very strange work environment.

I worked at ALM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, professional staffs. Good work-life balance. No late hours or extra hours per week.

Cons

Like other media companies, they have been forced to lay off staff. And as a result, the remaining staffers have to pick up the extra work.

Hire more freelancers to help support the remaining staff. And reconfigure the newsroom to make it more conducive to discussion and team work.

From a former employee

I worked at ALM

Pros

Lots of room to cross train within the company. A convenient downtown location. The HR department is always available.

Cons

The management will sometimes send mixed messages when assigning projects and priorities. Because this is a publishing environment, do nor expect your salary to be as high in other industries.

Marketing

I have been working at ALM (more than 3 years)

Pros

Finally moving towards innovation, digital first

Cons

Extremely unstable, lots of turnover and layoffs, no room for growth

Misleading

Current Employee - Advertising Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advertising Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health coverage and benefits are the only incentive for staying at this place

Cons

You are acknowledged, respected, rewarded or recognized for any team efforts that's displayed. HR is a joke and often times on the same playing field as your manager or director. The work load and salary do not equal the aggravation and non rewards often experienced in this company.

You need to restructure and retrain upper management in people skills. The company will continue to have a revolving door as long as the workers experience the manner of disregard most offer to their subordinates.

Good place to get experience, but that's about it.

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The editorial staff is good and there are lots of excellent reporters. For a young reporter just starting out, this is one of the best jobs you can have. You'll get tons of experience, learn a lot about the legal industry and get a ton of published clips to add to your portfolio. The money isn't great, but the fact they'll even pay is a step above most publications.

Cons

It's best to look at ALM as a stepping stone to another job. I hate to say that, because ALM has such great brand recognition in the legal industry, but it's true. I echo all the previous reviews saying that it's virtually impossible to be promoted. It happens, but only for a small group (and they'll often be promoted several times). It's not just sour grapes, either. There were many of us that all did well and got excellent evaluations all of the time. But none of us were even offered promotions and we ended up leaving. That sums up
    ALM in a nutshell. They can't hold on to their talent because they don't see us as talent. We're considered to be "content producers" instead of reporters and our numbers (traffic and number of articles written) are more important than quality. Executives love nothing more than launching new products and publications and will spend whatever profits the company makes towards expanding its media holdings. I think it's so they can justify their high subscription fees (meanwhile, most of these products overlap and contain the same stories). Towards the end of my tenure, they started talking about using software to generate stories automatically. That contributed to the poor morale.

Worry about putting out a good product and reward the people who make it possible. I understand the preoccupation with traffic but it's not everything. ALM has a specialized audience so it's never going to get Buzzfeed's numbers.

So much potential here, but if you're going to be the best, you must treat your employees as such

I worked at ALM full-time

Pros

I was not offended by my offer. Salary was appropriate

Cons

Negative culture. In my department, i was treated like complete crap as the "newby". I was often spoken about by veteran members of the team who showed and proved to be rude and not welcoming to a new hire. NEVER have i had an issue getting along with fellow co workers, until i ended up in a dept, where the director ignored the childish and cruel behavior of her tenured staff. So i officially brought the issue to my directors attention, and she tells me to deal with it, as those employees are just underpaid and feeling under-appreciated???? As a relatively new hire, i was stunned at her lack of willingness in reprimanding those employees, who in other environments, would have been written up or even terminated. At first, i felt bad for my director, as she was spoken about so poorly by her own staff. Then one day, my master "Micro managing" director, showed her fangs, and came down on me so hard, nit picking every email i sent out, mind you, she gets a copy of every email i send receive, which is bizarre. She started reprimanding me on things, she herself instructed me on. It became unbearable. The micro managing, and the poor and inconsistent support. If you are hovering over me, questioning every little thing i do, how in the hell am i expected to be effective, I worked from home for another media company for a full year. I made great money, and production spiked, despite my lack of supervision. If you want a brain dead drone, that will do things the way you want it done, don't hire a senior sales rep, when all you plan to do is ignore their strengths, and have people coming into the office each morning hoping you do not choose them to pick on. Mind you, this director said, "here, look at this email i sent your colleague, you're not the only one i pick on"....Pick on??? I came into this opportunity with so much hope, and ended up leaving feeling cheated, and mentally exhausted. Never again would i ever work at this place, or any place resembling this poor work environment. Also, my director was one of the most unorganized individuals i have ever worked for. Her desk at our old location was horrendous. Mountains of documents, and despite running the dept, rarely knew what special sections were being released, or what day it was for that matter.

Evaluate your managers/directors, much in the same way you would evaluate an employee. The culture of your company should matter. It should be a goal of upper management, to take ownership and ensure that the work environment, is productive, respectable, and friendly.