ALM Reviews

90 reviews filtered by

Good ideas, Bad management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Yes! ALM is transforming itself from traditional to digital publishing in an attempt to stay ahead of the curve. They have good and valuable research for the legal industry. With the recent re-acquisition by Wasserstein & Co., I see positive changes, though not in the areas you would expect. I see more so the benefit going towards upper management than mid-level employees.

Cons

Management is a big problem with ALM and one of the main things stopping ALM from progressing forward at the expense of the hard-working employee. I've noticed a trend of where good employees are under-valued, over-worked, under-paid, and then laid off. They are shy about giving you raises coupled with an over-eager commitment to increase your work load. They are cheap in investing on research and development, opting to penny pinch rather than investing more than their competitors to move the company along. I would not recommend ALM as a long term employer. By long term, I mean more than 2 years.

This is to Wasserstein & Co.. If you want ALM to be a productive and thriving company that shows, that shows a profit despite of economic inflation, then keep an eye on management. Make sure they are not using good employees to meet their budget goals by laying them off or refusing them raises or dump their responsibilities. Promote more management from within, seriously limit hiring management from outside. People like this do not care about the employees, only figures. Fire all upper management that DO NOT have PEOPLE SKILLS or do not VALUE employees, you lose more productive employees this way. Usually a tell tell sign is when good productive employees start leaving. I'm assuming you're looking for leaders not glorified butt kissers. DO NOT be cheap, give employees raises cause they deserve it and INVEST more in areas that matter.

So much potential here, but if you're going to be the best, you must treat your employees as such

I worked at ALM full-time

Pros

I was not offended by my offer. Salary was appropriate

Cons

Negative culture. In my department, i was treated like complete crap as the "newby". I was often spoken about by veteran members of the team who showed and proved to be rude and not welcoming to a new hire. NEVER have i had an issue getting along with fellow co workers, until i ended up in a dept, where the director ignored the childish and cruel behavior of her tenured staff. So i officially brought the issue to my directors attention, and she tells me to deal with it, as those employees are just underpaid and feeling under-appreciated???? As a relatively new hire, i was stunned at her lack of willingness in reprimanding those employees, who in other environments, would have been written up or even terminated. At first, i felt bad for my director, as she was spoken about so poorly by her own staff. Then one day, my master "Micro managing" director, showed her fangs, and came down on me so hard, nit picking every email i sent out, mind you, she gets a copy of every email i send receive, which is bizarre. She started reprimanding me on things, she herself instructed me on. It became unbearable. The micro managing, and the poor and inconsistent support. If you are hovering over me, questioning every little thing i do, how in the hell am i expected to be effective, I worked from home for another media company for a full year. I made great money, and production spiked, despite my lack of supervision. If you want a brain dead drone, that will do things the way you want it done, don't hire a senior sales rep, when all you plan to do is ignore their strengths, and have people coming into the office each morning hoping you do not choose them to pick on. Mind you, this director said, "here, look at this email i sent your colleague, you're not the only one i pick on"....Pick on??? I came into this opportunity with so much hope, and ended up leaving feeling cheated, and mentally exhausted. Never again would i ever work at this place, or any place resembling this poor work environment. Also, my director was one of the most unorganized individuals i have ever worked for. Her desk at our old location was horrendous. Mountains of documents, and despite running the dept, rarely knew what special sections were being released, or what day it was for that matter.

Evaluate your managers/directors, much in the same way you would evaluate an employee. The culture of your company should matter. It should be a goal of upper management, to take ownership and ensure that the work environment, is productive, respectable, and friendly.

It's a rollercoaster ride of constant change combined with a heavy workload.

Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You learn a lot writing by about important U.S. legal developments and issues. Decent pay for the industry. Dental benefits. Reporters have autonomy over how they use Twitter.

Cons

Many reporters don't have a say in what their beat is or in the direction of their career. It's a very top-down culture and annual goals are assigned without much, if any, input from the reporter. Managers are mostly concerned about increasing the volume of reporters' output. Professional development isn't encouraged even if the company isn't paying for it. Start-up culture with constant rollout of new digital initiatives and executive-level reshuffling. Some managers discourage vacations. High health plan deductibles. Non-lawyer journalists are often solely responsible for making sure story facts are right. Hard to get help and deadlines are firm even if the reporter simply doesn't know something about that legal matter.

More organization of content that isn't breaking news would improve work-life balance. Consistently train everyone at the beginning about the rules of criminal and civil procedure. Let employees use at least a token number of business hours per year (like 8, for example) to get off-site professional development even if you aren't paying for it.

Agree with the most recent reviews.

I worked at ALM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For employees who are just starting out on their career paths, this is a good place to stay for one year, get your experience and then move on. Just remember that there are good companies out there where managers and execs do care so don't use this company as a interpersonal role model.

Cons

Everything else. No leadership or vision at the top - huge problem for this tiny company.

Stop viewing the average employee as a liability and start viewing them as human assets. You are only as good as those working for you.

Absolute worst company ever

Former Employee - Copy Editor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Copy Editor in Miami, FL

I worked at ALM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is that I found another job and was able to quit, which I am thankful for every day.

Cons

The company puts a high value on teamwork, but its idea of "teamwork" is to pile up all the work on one person and then tell that person he/she is not being a "team player" by complaining. Overall, it's a back-stabbing, carping culture where everyone is looking out for only him or herself. Consider yourself warned if you're thinking of applying.

You do the work. Go ahead, you do it.

Lots of changes as they move from print to digital

I worked at ALM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. A majority of the employees are smart and energetic. Senior management does strive to keep the employees up-to-date on changes. The transition to digital is exciting and very fast-paced. Overall, it's a friendly place to work.

Cons

Promotions only if you're part of a small group of valued employees. Raises are minimal and health insurance premiums are ridiculous. As the staff shrinks, the work-load increases.

8. Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It’s no secret that ALM has been in transition for quite some time. I started here in May of 2013 and have seen a ton of changes, some of which I may not agree with but overall I understand the need to revamp the company. With that said, there is a lot of opportunity if you are motivated. I’ve never worked for a company that was so open minded and willing to listen to ideas. They have an open door policy that is unlike anything I’ve experienced especially in this industry.

I actually have quite a different story and felt it was important to share. I was in a role that I felt plateaued and was ready for change. For some, this job would be ideal. I never had work-related stress, my hours were amazing and my plate was never too full. But because I am young and hungry, I decided to leave and pursue a job at an agency. Within the first week I had realized I made a mistake and that ALM was truly the place to grow my career. Luckily, I had maintained strong ties and they offered to take me back but this time in a new role, which would expand my duties. I am so thankful to be back in a healthy work environment and am very positive about my future here. This is actually not uncommon; a few others have left and come back because it truly is a great place to work. I would say my favorite thing about the company is the people; they are amazing, warm, and overall very talented.

There are a lot of exciting projects currently going on to enhance our digital strategy. I would say now is the best time to join the company as it continues to grow.

Cons

If I had one piece of advice to give a potential candidate, it would be to stay motivated. I think it's easy to get comfortable and cruise from 9 to 5. However, if you are motivated and ready to step up to the challenge of helping push the company into a position of success, you will open more doors and feel fulfilled. This is the path I’ve chosen here and it has served me well.

Continue to listen to your younger employees. They are full of fresh ideas that will continue to grow the business.

Had Potential, But It Has Been Frittered Away

Current Employee - Lead Programmer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Programmer in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Build up to 4 weeks vacation in five years, reasonably flexible scheduling, lots of good people in middle management (until they get fired) and down at the rank and file level, payroll runs smoothly.

Cons

Noisy and distracting bull pen environment, top heavy with senior management (and getting more so),senior management is brought in from outside instead of being developed inside, no professional development and no promotion potential, anemic raises, and terrible annual review process openly biased to producing mediocre employee ratings. Worst of all, the company must successfully transform from a print-based company to a digital-first company in order to survive, but is making the transition in a slow and stumbling fashion.

Pay more attention to employee morale, implement an unbiased annual review process, reward successful middle managers, be more open to suggestions coming from below - the people making the suggestions may know more about the business than you do..

10. Enjoyed job before layoff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Congenial co-workers, flexible hours, casual dress permitted, fair evaluations, friendly management. Great location.

Cons

comprehensive training needed when introducing new software platforms. Open office layout does not promote exchange of ideas but reduces productivity due to surrounding noise.

Retrain employees instead of laying them off. Why terminate motivated employees with good evaluations who are eager to learn new skills.

Transitioning

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

industry leader, multiple opportunities for the client

Cons

an uncertain long term future

better products for both clients and employees