ALTEN

Be The First To
Add Photos

ALTEN Président Directeur Général Simon Azoulay

Simon Azoulay

Big company but small company feel, they are just like a start-up in the US.

Vice President of Business Development (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsStrong value proposition in product engineering, lack of strong sales structure in the US.

Conslimited scale, limited vision, they are trying to cobble together capabilities from partners etc.

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou work at client's site, you usually have a good team leader and you learn from that...

ConsLack of clear career plan, have to push. You rarely see you manager

Concerned and effective management

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSalary
    Management
    diversity / assignments
    International mobility is easy

Conscommon to all consulting firms (assignements depend on customers and market health)

Advice to Senior Managementmore corporate events!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been quite an experience with lots of ups and downs, but the colleagues have really good and supportive.

ProsBetter work atmosphere, comparatively less pressure

ConsSalary and appraisal is the main issue, in which they let us down

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket corrections has to be in the 1st page of todo list, if at all u gotta save your employees

Human Meat Butchers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mougins (France)

ProsThey assisted me while moving in France, but mostly by passing me to a specialized company for professional relocations. But even in this case I had issues: see the Cons.

ConsThis company is the typical "human meat butcher" company: they take and leave skilled professionals on a price basis, always bidding at the lowest price. They targeted me since I was coming from a country in a deep economical crisis, with many problems in job market and used this to offer me a poor salary (despite my many years of experience) and to cover a position to a client, totally out of my competences. They don't care of your skills, but only want to place you in a position at the cheapest price possible: in fact I was able, thanks to my professionality, to be appreciated, but when I was sent at the client side I had zero matching skills with the position.
    Also, as an additional hit to the coffin, I was "gently invited" (of the kind "either sign or we will fire you") an extension of the trial period, making me working for 8 months without any legitimate contract.
    My salary was also way under the average for the geographical area and the position, so that I had issues finding a proper apartment, and I ended up on the hills at 40 minutes from the job location (without traffic).
    I was never offered of any course for certifications in any technology/methodology and when I required for that they delayed any discussion (more skilled professionals don't work for Alten).

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice, other than "restate your company mission": cheap consultancy for IT and Aerospace can be done anywhere in Asia and Africa at better prices than yours. Treating your employees like meat you trade won't create any loyalty and won't make your company's knowledge anywhere.
    After one year I decided to quit the company and come back to my troubled country because of the treatment I received: consider how much of your skill asset can be lost by this human resources management, since now I have my own company in a scandinavian country, and I could have brought my know-how to your assets.

Consultant for 2 years

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThe most advantage is getting experience in multinational/structured companies.

ConsYou are otally selled to the customer and you get a salary equal to a 1/3 of what customers pays. When you're assigned to a project you don't exist for your company, if the project finishes you'll be again 'meat' to be selled!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more consultant with a little bit of experience

Senior Software Engineer

ProsMany projects in defence companies

Consthe business "engineers" do a very good job to sell you

Advice to Senior Managementno

typical for a service company

Software Engineer Testing (Current Employee)
    Nice (France)

ProsI was lucky to be in an interesting project

Cons0 interest for employees, but again this is typical for most service companies

Advice to Senior Managementemployees bring you money, take care of them

The worst of contracting companies in Sophia Antipolis

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Sophia Antipolis (France)

ProsNone. There is a handful of contracting companies in Sophia Antipolis. All of them are identical, except how much they pay. Alten pays the least of all.

ConsThey pay up to 50% less than the other contracting company -- Astek. If you have an offer from Alten, just take the name of the client/department to Astek and get 50% more money.

By far the biggest client of Alten in Sophia Antipolis is Amadeus. It is always better to apply directly to Amadeus if there are positions open. Other clients are Intel and Orange.

The management has no desire to build a real consulting services company -- they resort to simply "selling meat (hands)", which works out well for them: they sell you to clients at ~80KEUR/year and they pay you <40KEUR/year.

intern as international business development

Business Development (Former Employee)
    Paris (France)

Pros- good package
    - friendly working environment

Cons- lack of training and career advancement
    - boring working culture

Worked for ALTEN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALTEN reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ALTEN CEO Simon Azoulay. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by ALTEN employees.