ALTEN

Updated December 12, 2014
2.4

ALTEN Président Directeur Général Simon Azoulay
Simon Azoulay

Pros
  • rience parce que vous venez de sortir de l'universit (in 3 reviews)

• environnement de travail amical (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • t de la vie dans cette zone (pas seulement (in 6 reviews)

• ils ont menti sur les salaires et le co (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first job as Consultant

I have been working at ALTEN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good client, good team interesting subject

Cons

Salary not so high, difficulto to improve the experience after the first year

Lots of promise, lack of action

I worked at ALTEN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big company many jobs and sites. Pointed also to IT and other areas. Work with all major automotive companies.

Cons

Dont keep their promises given personally or at welcome meetings. Be careful about agreements with managment and force them to fulfil it. Average sallary comparable to others.

Don't just listen to your employee you should act also and be more carefull with promises, many time your managers forgot what they promise.

R&D engineer in digital communications (LTE-A)

I have been working at ALTEN full-time

Pros

Alten have very interesting clients : Orange labs, Alcatel, SFR, ...

Cons

Salary not enough and does not correspond to the skills

Good as it gets when working for a consulting company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at ALTEN

Pros

The staff are quite responsive and professional. Following of the project is good. The people that I had contact with it were friendly

Cons

As a consulting company based on outsourcing of services, the career evolution is obviously poor and the formation related to the work in the clients could be improved.

Improve the opportunities for formation and try to diversify the career paths on the technical level.
    Technical workshops could be done yearly to promote Alten as a center of excellence in engineering.

Allows you to learn plenty of skills through multiple missions

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager

I have been working at ALTEN

Pros

-multiple missions: in a few years, you can develop a very nice portfolio of skills
    -Alten's size makes it present in all big companies
    -being a contractor in a company offers oftently plenty of advantages
    (focus only only on the job,
    and really interesting IT projects are more and more taken care by contractors only)
    -when you start to be bored, your mission usually ends

Cons

-depending on the contract, being a contractor may make you a second-class employee
    -be careful of staying too long on the same mission, otherwise, all advantages disappear
    -often get satisfaction with your management only through force
    (e.g., nobody will listen to you unless you are at the start of a mission)
    -no training (or useless and cheap one)

-Show you have at least a little bit consideration for those doing the job.
    -Work on the image of the IT contracting industry

Good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madrid (Spain)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madrid (Spain)

I worked at ALTEN

Pros

Big company with a lot of resources and many benefits for employees. They let you do your work and respect you as professional.

Cons

Sometimes management is too distant. Specially when doing outsourcing, you can fell alone and not as informed as you would like to be.

Sincerity is something that many employees prefer instead of being quiet. Tell your employees the bad news always as fast as the good.

Good experience

I have been working at ALTEN

Pros

this was a very good experience. I leared a lot of things. The co-worker are gentile and the ambient is very relaxing. Sometimes you have to work at the client.

Cons

The salary is not so good. You have to work all day long but that's normal in consulting. a very few benefit

listen your employers. more attention for employers. More respect for your employers. Give them some more holyday if they need more.

Conquérant mais méprisant

Former Employee - Business Manager in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Paris (France)

I worked at ALTEN full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Très bonne entreprise pour qui aime la compétition, le challenge, l'entrepreneuriat.

Cons

De nombreux manageurs ont un mépris total pour leurs consultants. La politique du chiffre dans l'entreprise rend difficile aux manageurs de ne pas tomber dans la manipulation chronique vis à vis des consultants, mais également vis à vis de tout autre salarié.

Remettre le qualitatif au centre de l'attention, car ce modèle quantitatif à l'extrême a ses limites.

Quand vous tenez le rôle de la vache à lait, tout va bien, mais si vous voulez changer ça et demander plus c'est l'enfer When you get the role of the cash cow everything is OK but if you want to change it and ask more it's a hell

Current Employee - Consultant in Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Paris (France)

I have been working at ALTEN full-time (more than 8 years)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Ca peut être bien d'avoir une première expérience pour comprendre le monde des consultants et connaître les procédés des grandes entreprises

It's may be good to have a first experience for understanding the consultancy world and be introduced in the big companies processes

Cons

Presque tout le reste. Priez pour avoir dès le début une mission à long terme. Sinon, vos missions intermédiaires (intercontrats) deviendront vite un cauchemar. Tout ce que vos dirigeants veulent c'est que vous disiez : oui je veux cette mission.

Almost all of the rest. Pray to get at the beginning a long term mission. If not your inter-missions periods (inter-contrat) will quickly turn to be a nightmare. All your managers want you to say is : yes I want this mission

Dites la vérité, soyez transparent

Tell the truth, be transparent

Bouchers à viande humaine. Human Meat Butchers

Current Employee - Ingénieur logiciels expérimenté in Mougins (France)
    Current Employee - Ingénieur logiciels expérimenté in Mougins (France)

I have been working at ALTEN full-time (more than an year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Ils m'ont aidé lors de mon déménagement en France, mais cela a principalement été de me confier aux soins d'une entreprise spécialisée dans les déménagements professionnels. Mais même là j'ai eu des problèmes : voir les mauvais côtés.

They assisted me while moving in France, but mostly by passing me to a specialized company for professional relocations. But even in this case I had issues: see the Cons.

Cons

L’entreprise est une “boucherie de viande humaine” typique : ils récupèrent et abandonnent les professionnels compétents sur une base de prix, toujours négocié au plus bas prix. Ils m’ont ciblé puisque je venais d’un pays connaissant une période de crise profonde, avec beaucoup de problèmes dans le marché du travail et ont utilisé cela pour m’offrir un salaire bas (en dépit de mes nombreuses années d’expérience) et pour couvrir un poste chez un client, complètement en dehors de mes compétences. Ils ne se soucient pas de vos capacités, mais souhaitent seulement vous positionner dans un poste au plus bas prix possible : en réalité, j’ai été capable, grâce à mon professionnalisme, d’être apprécié, mais lorsque j’ai été placé du côté client, je n’ai eu aucune compétence matchant avec le poste.

Aussi, comme pour me mettre une dernière fois à terre, j’ai été « cordialement invité » (dans le style « ou vous signez, ou vous êtes viré ») à rallonger ma période d’essai, me faisant travailler pendant 8 mois sans aucun contrat légal.

Mon salaire était également en-dessous de la moyenne pour la zone géographique et le poste, pour finalement avoir des problèmes pour trouver un appartement convenable, et j’ai fini sur les collines à 40 minutes du lieu de travail (sans embouteillage).

Je n’ai bien entendu jamais reçu de certifications dans aucune technologie/méthodologie et lorsque je l’ai exigé, ils ont ajourné toutes les discussions (plus de compétences professionnelles ne marchent pas pour Alten).

This company is the typical "human meat butcher" company: they take and leave skilled professionals on a price basis, always bidding at the lowest price. They targeted me since I was coming from a country in a deep economical crisis, with many problems in job market and used this to offer me a poor salary (despite my many years of experience) and to cover a position to a client, totally out of my competences. They don't care of your skills, but only want to place you in a position at the cheapest price possible: in fact I was able, thanks to my professionality, to be appreciated, but when I was sent at the client side I had zero matching skills with the position.
    Also, as an additional hit to the coffin, I was "gently invited" (of the kind "either sign or we will fire you") an extension of the trial period, making me working for 8 months without any legitimate contract.
    My salary was also way under the average for the geographical area and the position, so that I had issues finding a proper apartment, and I ended up on the hills at 40 minutes from the job location (without traffic).
    I was never offered of any course for certifications in any technology/methodology and when I required for that they delayed any discussion (more skilled professionals don't work for Alten).

Je n'ai pas de conseils à donner, à part « reformulez votre mission d'entreprise » : du conseil pas cher pour l'IT et l'aérospatial peuvent être obtenus n'importe où en Asie et en Afrique à de meilleurs prix que chez vous. Traiter vos employés comme de la

I have no advice, other than "restate your company mission": cheap consultancy for IT and Aerospace can be done anywhere in Asia and Africa at better prices than yours. Treating your employees like meat you trade won't create any loyalty and won't make your company's knowledge anywhere.
    After one year I decided to quit the company and come back to my troubled country because of the treatment I received: consider how much of your skill asset can be lost by this human resources management, since now I have my own company in a scandinavian country, and I could have brought my know-how to your assets.