ALTRES

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014
3.5

Barron Guss

Good corporate culture, competitive salaries, excellent benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at ALTRES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very exciting work environment. Leadership stays on top of the changing business environment and doesn't allow the company to stagnate. There are always lots of special projects to be part of.

Suggestions from staff on ways to work more efficiently are encouraged.

Lateral movement is possible. I have known people to move between departments and there is a place to see and apply for other positions.

The compensation package is great. Adequate vacation time especially after a few years with the company. Great 401(k) options and company match. Family coverage for health and dental also after a couple years of service. Parking reimbursement, tuition and education reimbursement. In house training opportunities. Really, really great benefits overall.

Cons

ALTRES is really two companies, staffing and outsourced HR services (marketed as simplicityHR). The company is large enough that it is not possible to really know everyone on a personal level.

Everyone works hard and managers lead by example in this respect. But sometimes the details get in the way and cause a lack of big picture perspective from middle management. Expectations and priorities are not always made clear.

Career opportunities are somewhat limited. It's a great place for people just starting out or those with a Senior Specialist type of title as a goal. Not much hiring from within for management positions that I can tell.

Keep doing what you can to keep the small company, family feeling even as the head count grows. The volunteer events and corporate sponsored events are great.

Consider adding project management positions. Department managers are being pulled in too many directions.

The best office and employee I have ever had the pleasure to work for.

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I worked at ALTRES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cares about employees, seeks to have them grow. Good benefits and a great working environment.

Cons

There really aren't any cons with this company.

One you sign up, they act like they own you.

Former Employee - Accounting in Hilo, HI
    Former Employee - Accounting in Hilo, HI

I worked at ALTRES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work in Hawaii - Big Island (hard to come by work here)

Cons

Non-locals disrespected, poor management, low pay, look at the hidden items on the contract!

I worked with ALTRES Staffing on the Big Island for 8 weeks to supplement my Oregon Unemployment... thank goodness it wasn't longer. In my time there I dealt with complete disorganization, unprofessional phone calls and manners and an assignment barely related to my skills. Then, they laid me off from my position and told me they would call me with other opportunities only for them to lie and state that I quit 3 weeks after they gave me my last paycheck. Basically, everyone needs to look at the fine print, because it's a scam. Once you work for them and end an assignment, they still see you as employed by them. I got my Oregon Unemployment reinstated (and re-approved by Oregon), only to have to go on emergency benefits when it ran out... problem is I wasn't eligible because I worked in Hawai'i. It's been a battle the last 9 weeks trying to get the benefits I had already been approved for, because ALTRES continues to lie about phone calls they had with me that never happened. If you are on unemployment do NOT go to work with them, because in all those papers they refuse to give you copies of, you basically sign away your soul to forever work with them or forfeit any unemployment you might get. I feel like I'm being punished by them because I chose to look for work with other employers when my assignment ended.

Gives opportunities to first timers

Current Employee - Nurse Aide in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Nurse Aide in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at ALTRES as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Their employment qualifications for nurse aides are not too competitive, choose your schedule, job sites vary (which is great to network), they send texts for needs.

Cons

The Hospital companies do not orient Altres Employees to the floor, may be canceled within 1.5 hours (sucks when you are night shift, but canceled and wasted a whole day), pay is lower compared to the client's company.

Do not cancel night shifts.
    Each personnel should keep track of a GROUP of employees, so there would not be any confusion. Have set hours for employees. Pay more.

Good if you can keep up!

Former Employee - In-house Position in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - In-house Position in Honolulu, HI

I worked at ALTRES

Pros

The team morale is great, it's more of a family than just a group of employees. They take pride in professionalism and hard work.

Cons

The pay is not great, but I'm finding pay in Hawaii in general isn't great compared to the cost of living.

Give people a better chance before deciding they aren't a good fit. I saw many people come and go and because of the nature of the business (it is a staffing company) applicants were seen as disposable.

Don't do it

I worked at ALTRES

Pros

It's in Hawaii and a paycheck. Not run as a business for profit.

Cons

Simplicity HR by Altres
    Management, Market position and lack of leadership. Not respected in the market.

Retire and go fly your radio airplanes.

Great place to work - for locals

I worked at ALTRES

Pros

There is a good level of Team work and appreciation for all contributors in every department from service to marketing.

Cons

As an out of state employee there wasn't any welcome committee aside from the owner a few times. The company should work a little harder to make their imported talent feel welcome.

Barron Guss is a great manager and leader. He has created an awesome company his father would be proud of. My only advice would be that the sales department needs a local leader.

Best place I have ever worked...period.

I worked at ALTRES full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented culture that respects your time and the time you share with your family. They focus on results and growth, but not at the expense of their people. I've never been in a more understanding, supportive and active work environment. Its not for everyone, some people can't handle the work, the pace or the demands of the job. As much as people do leave most of the people here have been here for over 6 years, in this day and age that says a lot.

Cons

Its a smaller organization. You can only rise so far in the organization. That being said, I've always been given opportunities to rise in the organization when I asked for them. Barron and Kerry are entrepreneurs and support innovative ideas and approaches.

Don't ever retire. Hawaii is a better place with the two of you leading ALTRES.