AMADA Reviews

Mitsuo Okamoto

1. A challenging and good experience with no growth potential

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at AMADA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-I have a good manager who is always willing to help.
    -All field service colleagues are willing to provide assistance when needed either by phone or travel when more than one service engineer is needed for those larger jobs.
    -Amada National Service Machine Specialists are very willing to provide support for those more evasive issues.

Cons

-No growth potential.
    -Never given a review or pay raise until I requested it. I was told early on that you will not likely see a pay raise until fourth year, as you are training on many types and variations of machines and become proficient. Even after fourth year, one would think you could get proficiency evaluations and incremental raises based on performance or at very least to offset inflation. The Employee Handbook states that evaluations are generally given annually. Actually, it seems that if no one mentions evals and pay raises then they will never be brought up to you...Shhhhhhhh!!!!...Be very quiet...if you don't mention Pay Raise or Eval, our employees will not want them!???????
    -Very little company information disseminated to the ranks.

Advice to Management

Start looking at your service engineers as the first line of ensuring new machine sales and repeat business instead of the bottom rung. I heard in the beginning that "Amada is a new machine sales company, don't expect to much as a service engineer". I did not understand that comment until lately. Management...with economic conditions accounted for, get your service engineers pay up to par and maybe institute an annual bonus. You may also want to look into updating the per diem pay as most traveling service engineers have to spend more than is reimbursed in order to eat a healthy meal these days, as food prices are through the roof.

2. Unequal rights for employees!!

I worked at AMADA

Pros

There is so much downtime in this company because they do not do anything. You have a lot of downtime to complete any other work you may have. Such as school work.

Cons

You are not properly trained. They expect you to know what to do already. The HR Department is very dumbfounded and they play favorites. If you are not friends with any management then you should pray that you don't get on anyone's bad side because they will get you fired. They are snakes in the back office and are very unequal towards new employees.

Advice to Management

Don't treat new empmoyees like they are any less. Since your employees now are probably stealing from underneath your noses. Also hire new HR employees, since the ones you have now are completely incompitent.

3. I was hired to be a press brake operator I thought

Former Employee - Press Brake Operator I Thought in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Press Brake Operator I Thought in Brea, CA

I worked at AMADA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

I was hired by agency. I was told that my interview that it was up to me to be hired by the company. So I put my hundred percent into what ever I was doing. Sorting parts for the welders and tapping , grinding and finding pallets.About 10% running the press brake.It made no sense to me why they hired me for a brake operator.So I learned for two months how to put the LCG 3015 parts together for weld. So it was my responsibility for everybody that touches the parts on the pallets.When the welder went to go get the parts he was going to weld and if there are not all there it was my fault. Apparently I wasn't well-liked because I knew the parts were there. And I got blamed for this stuff I didn't even do. Oh yeah I'm supposed to be a press brake operator I never got the chance to be one.I'll give you a heads up! revolving door policy. Brake operators want to keep their jobs.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to people that want to get employed by you and tell them what they want to hear.And do just the opposite.And put them into an unfair situation.Knowing that they need to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads. Don't play games with peoples lives. When interviewing people tell him exactly what they are going to do.

5. Incompetent Management

I have been working at AMADA

Pros

Located very close to the 5 freeway

Cons

Poor management without formal management training. Departments are islands of information.

6. F Them

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Buena Park, CA
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Buena Park, CA

I have been working at AMADA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None there are no pros

Cons

everything management is completely dumbfounded

Advice to Management

Pull your head out

7. Great company

I have been working at AMADA

Pros

Supervisor is a good guy

Cons

The travel is a beast

8. Amada is a Career, not a Job. Expect a revolving door if you choose to not give 100% effort.

Current Employee - Systems Applications Engineer in Buena Park, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Applications Engineer in Buena Park, CA

I have been working at AMADA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Work load is demanding and very fast paced at times. Keeps you on your toes.

-Although years ago benefits at Amada were close to 100% paid, I am happy to have the benefits they give now, unlike previous employers.

-Small perks can be had if you are a strong worker.

-Many "old timers" are a wealth of information. Treat them right and they will treat you right, nothing is for free.

-Training is available but be ready to fit it in between your work schedule at times. (refer to first sentence of Pros above)

-Amada has survived many years of rough economical times, I see no problem working here till I retire.

-Advancement is there but can be very slow at times, most upper management have been employed on an average of 20 years. Some 30 plus, reassures me that I am valuable in a way.

Cons

-As in many industries, seniority plays a big role. At times I believe this hinders the younger Amada employee generation that has a valuable insight in the ever changing work force inside and outside the Amada group.

-Pay can be better but seeing that many people in CA are non-employed, I am happy to be working.

Advice to Management

The relation between younger Amada Employees and Senior Employees have a missing link. Managers should loosen their grip and allow for more changes within their department's to allow new plans/ideas from younger Amada employees. It will help lessen the age gap.

Having a history of long employment of distinguished employees is great but at times when the company has a need to change with the times to stay involved with newer and smaller upcoming business's, managers should try and take younger Amada employees serious about their thoughts and changes needed.

A company is only good as the relationship with their Clients AND Employees.

9. Good company to start but don't ask for advancement or pay raises.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buena Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buena Park, CA

I have been working at AMADA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a good relaxed work environment. All employees (except top management) are easy to communicate with and are very helpful in their related fields of expertise.

Cons

No communication between divisions specially sales and engineering. Company is sales driven so support personnel are often overlooked for pay raises or advancement. Top management is powerless since mother company is Japanese based and all directives come from Japan with 19th century overtones.

Advice to Management

Need to listen to all levels of employees and increase moral. Make company employees feel wanted not disposable. Most technical support staff llok at Amada as a starting point and hence move on in 3-5 years.

10. Electrical Development

Current Employee - Electrical Development in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Electrical Development in Marietta, GA

I have been working at AMADA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and access to great design tools. Catia V5

Cons

The pay could be better

11. Good product, mediocre management, very limited ladder to climb.

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at AMADA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Satisfying job when dealing with customers in your region every day. If you like the freedom of field service, this has it. A lot of times you get to make your own schedule, and coordinate service for your customers. This job keeps you sharp, you learn something new every day and it will prepare you for any type of field service job. It doesn't get much harder or technical than here.

Cons

Below average base pay. Out of the three field service jobs I have had, this one was by far the most technical and hard work, the dirtiest environment, and the least amount of pay. The President of Amada America was quoted as saying no Field service engineer was worth 50k a year salary. This is absurd, FE's put in long hours of driving and labor every day, installing millions in machinery each year. Some of them have been in the field over 10 years, with no ladder to climb and no structured raises.

Advice to Management

Maybe hire field service managers who actually have a management background, outsource if you have to. Instead of just taking the most qualified individual in that region, who has no clue how to manage other people. It is very discouraging when you are suppose to have a yearly review, then never get one. Then when a review finally does come around, you have some guy giving you average review marks, when he has never been on a job site with you or saw you work. Also there are some managers who are extremely unprofessional. They will cuss at you and call you liar, then when they realize you are wrong, they act like it never happened. After working a couple other field service jobs, I realize just how low the overall morale and treatment of FE's are at Amada. There are some really smart, intelligent, and hard working FE's within Amada, I hope for their sake, things have changed for the good.