AMC Entertainment

AMC Entertainment Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 15, 2014

AMC Entertainment President and CEO Gerry Lopez

Gerry Lopez

Pros
  • There is plenty of room to advance within the company and you get free movies(in 337 reviews)

• During your shift or on a day you have worked, you can get free popcorn/soda(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • The only time you get a raise is when the state minimum wage increases(in 69 reviews)

• Working long hours, especially during busy movie premiers(in 26 reviews)

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Management will annoy you. but the crew is amazing!

Film Crew Member (Current Employee) Universal City, CA

ProsMy coworkers are amazing and free movies of course.

Conshours can get annoying, you have to brown nose management to get on there good side.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing they've all ready heard a thousand times.

AMC, an entry level experience that gets old fast

Film Crew Member (Current Employee) Monterey Park, CA

ProsFree movies at any theater and free ICEEs, drinks, and popcorn.
    My coworkers are awesome to work with.

ConsPay, and hours are minimal as long as you're a part time employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter organization within the new employee employment. Definitely consider paying your lower employees more, not $15 an hour, but maybe at least $11 an hour.

Not What I Expected

Film Crew Member (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsConvenient for students in need of flexible schedules, free movies and awesome coworkers. I've made some great friends here and have had some of the most fun with some of them while at work. It's easy to move up within the company if one shows dedication. One of my coworkers got promoted after only 4 months of working there.

ConsIt's more stressful and disgusting than one would think. Guests can be horrible, mean, dirty and the emphasis on guest connections makes it even worse. Management was so young and in turn could be EXTREMELY immature. Our youngest supervisor was 18 and definitely acted like it. The hours suck, they do what we call "clopening", which is close & then open the next day. My worst experience; a closing Thurs shift, 6:30PM-2:15 AM and then being scheduled to open Friday at 9 AM, not even 7 hours in between shifts and they could "technically" do it b/c they were separate work weeks. EVERYONE works on Christmas which is the WORST b/c its the busiest day of the year w/ NO holiday pay I might add. I was scheduled NINE days straight this past holiday season 12/23-12/31:/ This job completely ruined my sleep. It's been a month since I left and I still can't go to bed earlier than 1 in the morning b/c I closed so much:(

Would only recommend this job to someone who needs flexibility and is VERY young, 16-20 age range otherwise the immaturity and childish nature and guest BS would drive one insane.

Advice to Senior ManagementQUIT PROMOTING KIDS! Nothing worse than a child with a little bit of power.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AMC Theaters

Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate (Current Employee) Century City, CA

Pros*Free Movies, Help great guests, friendly crew, flexible hours for students, get paid for breaks, great for students who love watching free movies

Conslong shifts, hard to move up in industry, it is mandatory to work weekends and holidays without holiday pay, can only work 28 hours or part-time

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees more for the work they are doing because crew only make minimum wage for working that hard to take care of tasks that they should know should be paid for their work. For instance, I have put my hard work into AMC and I have not once received appreciation for my hard work. I have been working for the company for nearly three years and I had not had the chance to move up in the industry. I am a phenomenal worker and I learned all the areas within 6 months of working with the industry. I love to learn new things but, once I found out that I would never amount to anything working at a minimum wage company it was hard to stay focused on the job and even harder to like working for the company. And the management are terrible. They do not know how to run a business. They treat the crew terrible and do not appreciate them. It is getting worse and worse dealing with the management who hardly know how to do their job. So, I suggest growing as a company paying crew more for all of their hard work and at least appreciate the little people for keeping your company together as a business because without them, no one would be exceeding.

Lazy management and team

Usher (Former Employee) Glendora, CA

ProsFree movies
     free drinks & popcorn

ConsLow pay, Little supervisor support, Understaffing, not given enough hours for gainful employment

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff more employees so that ushers can get help cleaning the theaters between shows.

I loved this job but it doesn't pay well

Film Crew Member (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsFree movies. There are usually great co-workers. It can be fun sometimes. The company is innovative, ahead of other chains and will most likely maintain its superiority or standard of excellence in service to its customers.

ConsLow wages, not enough raises, sometimes work politics get in the way of growth

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more particularly the hard-working, skilled and patient ones.

AMC. Fun Job, but awful pay

Film Crew Member (Current Employee) City of Industry, CA

ProsGreat Team of Fun People who make coming to work a joy
    Flexible Hours
    Free Movies anywhere you go that has an AMC
    A lof of fast paced work that will keep you on your feet during peak hours.
    Great job for a student as the hours you work can be molded to your schedule as long as you keep two weekend dates open.

ConsAwful Pay for the work that you are doing
    Low Advancement opportunities in the field and if anything opens up it most likely will go to the person that is least qualified for the position
    Not always the greatest management due to poor decision making skills on part of the management
    Weekends are pretty much gone with this job if you love having them.

Good people, bad job.

Film Crew Member (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsThe people they bring in are great. My co-workers are the only reason I stayed and even middle management was pretty cool. This is probably because they promote from within so the people they promote know what its like to be a crew member.

ConsThe job is not rewarding in any way. You clean theatres and bathrooms, then the next day you serve food to customers who think it is your fault they are late. You get payed minimum wage, but this seems fair as the job is not very particularly demanding, just stressful, and there is probably somebody waiting to take your crappy job.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that worker environment is as important as customer environment.

It has been a very long road.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFun people to work and joke with all the time. They are what make the days go by so fast.

ConsThe management looks out for themselves and power down over the associates.

Great first job, but nothing more.

Film Crew Member (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsAwesome Crew members, free movies, and good job to gain experience

ConsLow wage (minimum even on holidays), never get recognized for hard work, schedules are programmed weekly, no incentive to sell Stub cards, and no real opportunities to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge how hard your employee's work, and try to give them rewards for their work. Also don't treat them like workers to do everything you want, but instead be a leader.

Worked for AMC Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!