AMC Entertainment

Updated November 21, 2014
3.1

AMC Entertainment President and CEO Gerry Lopez
Gerry Lopez

Pros
  • Also free movies for you and your immediate family plus one guest is a nice benefit (in 380 reviews)

• During your shift or on a day you have worked, you can get free popcorn/soda (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • I've done everything from plumbing to fixing and troubleshooting machines for minimum wage (in 81 reviews)

• Working long hours, especially during busy movie premiers (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for a high school kid.

Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AMC Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a pretty good place to work for a high school kid. You get free movies, you meet good people, and its a pretty exciting job.

Cons

-lots of clean up
    - minimum wage pay

I worked as an usher for AMC for several years

Former Employee - Film Crew Member in Dartmouth, MA
    Former Employee - Film Crew Member in Dartmouth, MA

I worked at AMC Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Air conditioned, free movies, work with lots of people. Perfect job for a young adult in school.

Cons

Working holidays/weekends/nights can be a drag. There isn't room to get raises, pretty much no reward for working hard. Managers seemed to not notice who slacked off and who worked hard, and all of them had their favorites. Since there were absolutely no raises, working hard seemed moot, especially when coworkers would get away with doing nothing for a whole shift.

A great place to work with loads of perks to the job

I worked at AMC Entertainment

Pros

Free movies for the duration of your service, private screenings for employees before movies come out, free food and popcorn and soda and icees

Cons

long hours, almost guaranteed to work holidays, Rude customer base, extremely low pay with little opportunity for a raise or growth in the company

Great

Current Employee - Film Crew Member in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Film Crew Member in Seattle, WA

I have been working at AMC Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benifits easy work and chill people

Cons

Late shifts and weekends which can be hard at times.

Help your employees understand how to sell stub rewards

Great First job!

Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AMC Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great startup job that taught me customer service skills, how to work a cash register, and manage my time. It was not overly difficult. Also got to eat free popcorn!

Cons

I had a hard time receiving a lot of hours because they hired many employees. It is also a minimum wage job without much option for growth.

Working at AMC

I have been working at AMC Entertainment part-time

Pros

The people were great, the workload was low, free movies and stubs card, and everyone seemed to genuinely enjoy working there. If you're just looking at this as something to do in high school or college during vacations, it's a pretty good place to work.

Cons

Minimum wage, but that's to be expected. The scheduling was done on a weekly basis, and was very inconsistent, so it was very frustrating trying to make plans ahead of time and not knowing if you were going to work or not.

Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Aventura, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Aventura, FL

I have been working at AMC Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and free movies

Cons

LOW PAY, working weekends and holidays (I understand it's a weekend/summer job but we should close early on holidays). They try to promote diversity yet you have to cover up tattoos and piercings. The majority of the employees are between the ages of 16-25. I think the company should lighten up on that policy. Also we supervisor don't get the same benefits as the managers yet we work just as hard and just as many hours as the managers do. We deserve our vacations hours.

If you're gonna promote your employees to a theatre that is 30+ miles away, you should compensate them.

Great place to work as long as you're <30 years old.

Current Employee - Film Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Film Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AMC Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are definitely opportunities to advance within the company, and it shouldn't take you too long to be promoted if you're actively pitching and selling AMC Stubs membership cards. I was hired in May 2014, I was trained as a backbar in July, and I'm now being trained to be a supervisor as a Film Crew Member so a supervisor position is almost guaranteed. Majority of management is laid back, flexible, and care about their employees. This job is a great transitional job, however you shouldn't count on them to be paying your bills. We're capped at 28 hours a week and if you go over that they'll cut your hours the following week.

Cons

AMC Stubs will make or break you at AMC. If you can't sell the card, you won't last long with the company. Certain locations will expect more out of you than others, for example, my location expects you to be pitching the benefits of the card at every position, including ticket drop and usher, while others only expect it to be pitched at box office and concession. Unfortunately, most of your management team is going to be 21-29. My GM is only 24. So at times, they can act a bit unprofessional when you approach them with issues. Understaffing is a huge problem that doesn't just affect us, it affects our guests as well when we can't serve them in a reasonable amount of time. You won't have the support from your management team when guests complain about things, and you're expected to handle it by yourself, regardless if they asked to speak to a manager or not.

Back us up a little bit more. Offer more incentives for selling Stubs. We're not gaining anything out of selling memberships. Listen to your employees when we say we need help. We aren't doing it because we're lazy or not trying.

Concessionist/usher

Current Employee - Usher/Concessions
    Current Employee - Usher/Concessions

I have been working at AMC Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun part time summer job to get out of the house and make some money. Met a lot of cool people working there (I was in my early 20s). Pretty fun if you like the people you work with. Job is pretty easy to get the hang of quickly.

Cons

I had two really nice supervisors and a grumpy manager who wasn't very nice. It all depends on who you're working with. There was a high turnover rate at my theater. A lot of people got fired half way through the summer and at the end they hired the next bunch of kids.

Be encouraging and forgiving of mistakes.

It wasn't bad at first, but I got sick of it quickly

I have been working at AMC Entertainment

Pros

Free movies, most of the employees are very nice. That's pretty much the only positive about working here

Cons

Open 365 days a year, hard to spend time with family in holidays. No room for raises, working very hard for minimum wage. Management picks favorites, and doesn't listen to their employees.

Pay attention to what your employees want