AMC Entertainment

Updated January 24, 2015
3.1

AMC Entertainment President and CEO Gerry Lopez
Gerry Lopez

Pros
  • Also free movies for you and your immediate family plus one guest is a nice benefit (in 395 reviews)

• During your shift or on a day you have worked, you can get free popcorn/soda (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • I've done everything from plumbing to fixing and troubleshooting machines for minimum wage (in 86 reviews)

• Working long hours, especially during busy movie premiers (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

cook

I worked at AMC Entertainment

Pros

Not too strict, self responsible, flexible schedules.

Cons

long shifts, no overtime pay, no time and a half for holidays, very little break time.

Great place to work!

I have been working at AMC Entertainment

Pros

It was a great place to work while in college. pre-screening movies on Thursday night, great break room and great co-workers!

Cons

Higher management sticklers, friendly but, felt micromanaged.

Good experience overall, great for someone looking for extra cash on the side.

Former Employee - Usher/Concessions
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessions

I worked at AMC Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free soda and popcorn, other food items available with discount. Free movies of course. Everyone was mostly young, so it was pretty fun working with them. None of the work was particularly difficult and the atmosphere was usually great.

Cons

Managers are hit or miss. Some were nice and professional while others were completely irresponsible. Pay is loooow, which is why I eventually left. Really high turnover. And of course, there are some irate customers you have to deal with like any retail job.

Training needs to be better. I learned the vast majority of the necessary stuff from other coworkers. Hire better managers, and perhaps consider increasing pay? The turnover rate is just way too high.

Focus on the people AND the financials

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at AMC Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, compassionate leaders, fast-paced environment, decent health benefits, lots of other benefits

Cons

Hours are tough, low appreciation, unwavering expectations, Weekend and Holidays are the requirement.

Not Too Bad

I have been working at AMC Entertainment

Pros

Free Movies - Free Food - Very Nice Friendly Personable Employees, very nice environment with friendly employees and great benefits while employees full time

Cons

Only thing I don't like about the place is the customers are rider than the ones at Dunkin donuts in the morning.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at AMC Entertainment

Pros

Numerous opportunities for professional growth. Fast track movement. You really get into the nitty gritty of business management.

Cons

Guests can be overwhelmingly rude but that's any "retail" like job.

Get on the floor! Get to know your crew!

It was a good experience that taught me alot of responsibility.

I worked at AMC Entertainment

Pros

The best reason to work there is the fact that you learn alot of new things about people and food prep. You learn to be efficient at your job because time is of the essence.

Cons

The customers can be very unruly sometimes, considering how all we want to do is give them the best consumer experience possible. People are rude and you have to smile back and take it on the chin

Pretty chill

I have been working at AMC Entertainment

Pros

Work with cool people
    Bosses are nice

Cons

Pay isn't that great

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Film Crew
    Former Employee - Film Crew

I worked at AMC Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was a good first job especially because I learned sales techniques and how to use a register. Mostly everyone was friendly and helpful as well. You also get free tickets.

Cons

I didn't feel well trained for certain duties so I would often trade those shifts away. If you're unsure, find a kind manager or supervisor and ask them to explain completely to solve the issue in the future.

More explanatory overview of the facilities prior to first shift

If you have a passion for cinema, this is the place for you, but don't expect a stellar team of managers or supervisors.

Current Employee - Film Crew Lead in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Film Crew Lead in Frisco, TX

I have been working at AMC Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

•Unlimited free movies for yourself and 1 friend or all of your immediate family (Moms, Dads, Brothers, and Sisters only).
    •Discounted concession items (while on the clock or 30 minutes before or after your scheduled shift).
    •Free AMC Stubs Membership, as long as you're an employee.
    •Great environment for building essential communication/customer service skills.
    •Fast-paced promotions (Film Crew, Supervisor, and hourly Manager only).
    •Easy to make friends out of your co-workers.
    •Simple hiring process.
    •Easy to approach managers (for questions, concerns, or conflicts).

Cons

•Long, physically demanding hours (concessions and usher positions only).
    •Terrible scheduling system (WorkBrain).
    •Confusing training process. Hands-on, but poorly explained/presented.
    •First come, first serve basis for requesting off work.
    •Employment REQUIRES you to have 2 out of 3 "high traffic days" completely open as far as availability goes (Friday nights, Saturdays, and Sundays).
    •Don't expect stellar management. They're only in their 20's or 30's...
    •Overall lack of positive morale during busy days.
    •Feels like a popularity contest among Film Crew associates most of the time.
    •Quite easy to get fired...be careful and do your homework when it comes to AMC's employee policies!

1.) Find some sort of way to raise the starting pay for new hires. Minimum wage for such a physically demanding job is not acceptable.
    2.) Please figure out a more complicated promotion process. Some managers DO NOT deserve their position. (Lack of people skills, leadership, and/or incredible amounts of immaturity)
    3.) Time and a half needs to be a thing with such a weekend and holiday-based business. If you're going to force people to be away from their families whilst serving angry, ungrateful guests on a regular basis when it comes to major holidays, reward those associates with a reasonable, proper pay. $7.25 is not enough pay to get drinks thrown at me and get cursed at at least once a shift by guests. That doesn't even pay for the most popular menu item, a large popcorn!
    4.) Do more visits and reaching out to struggling locations. Sit down with ALL Film Crew associates during these visits to get their side of the story. Do not assume all is well just because the GM says so. Do some digging!
    5.) Keep it up. AMC is an incredible entertainment company that continues to bring premium movies and experiences to its guests. I appreciate the incredible opprutunity to have worked here, but some things in individual locations do need some resolving to take place (lack of employees to correlate with the time of year, horrible wages, and sub-par hourly management).