AMC - Illinois

Add Photos

Jeff Engle

A Great Place To Work

Graphic Designer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe owners are very generous to employees. Profit sharing, 401K match, annual bonuses and annual raises are part of the compensation. My department offers great schedule flexibility to the team and the team itself is both responsible and a pleasure to work with. The company has been chosen as an Illinois Best Places to Work company for 3 or 4 years recently.

ConsSome client teams can be challenging. Unrealistic expectations and unwilling to work within boundaries set forth. Sometimes I don't know how certain folks remain employed, (but this could really be said about any company).

A Great Place To Work

ProsAssociation Management Center is a very family oriented company that provides work/life balance. The culture of the company really starts from the top of the company with the owners who are all very personable and approachable. The company also has a high ethical standards and don't put their employees in situations where they are forced to compromise their moral beliefs. The company promotes within and also supports professional growth and development.

ConsWhile I enjoy working with Association Management Center, I must share that the salary range for entry level staff is not competitive with the market place and is often a barrier to acquiring high talented staff. Additionally, the employee benefits and tuition reimbursement is not competitive with the market place as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the salary for entry level staff and reevaluate the tuition reimbursement policy.

AMC Will Kill Your Career and Motivation

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Glenview, IL

ProsWork/life balance
    Comp time when working weekends

ConsDo not demand high quality work from employees since they're so focused on being a "nice" place to work.

Owners of the company don't know what the account executives are doing and the account execs don't support their team when a client is demanding, mean or detrimental to team culture.

AMC gives staff too many accounts to work on so they make money and people are spread too thin to actually produce high quality work.

People go here to take a "break" from their career and as a previous reviewer said commit professional suicide. Left because I seriously felt dumber by the day working here! I was losing my professional edge.

Advice to Senior ManagementHorrible team culture so focus more on exec culture vs. the culture you're trying to build as a company. Don't spread your staff so thin since they get burned out fast. Demand high quality work instead of accepting employee apathy simply because they don't have the drive and motivation to create high quality work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits but no room for growth

Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) Glenview, IL

ProsGreat benefits medical, dental, vision, flex spending, life insurance, etc; Family owned; small company; community oriented; charitable; open to changes

Consno room for growth; salary increases are very low

Advice to Senior ManagementNotice the amount of young people leaving your company because of the low salary, no room for growth and no challenging opportunities.

Professional suicide

Account Manager (Current Employee) Glenview, IL

ProsGood work/life balance, comp days when you work a weekend

ConsThis company positions itself as a "nice place to work" but the execs are nothing but nice. Tell you they want one thing and when the board asks for another or the exec is under pressure, they completely change their tune. Very little team culture (company culture is quite strong) since this is really left up to the individual execs. Working on multiple clients is very difficult especially when often you're working on very different clients/areas of healthcare, etc.

Used to be a "family company" with nice family values but they got too big and fire people often. I can't count the number of emails I received that a certain person no longer works at AMC. Definitely not a nice place to work with that culture and fear among employees. Stay away from this place!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with execs to actually integrate company culture into team culture. Each team culture is so different that the experience can be entirely different depending on who your exec/execs are. This is definitely NOT a nice place to work and your company branding doesn't match the employee experience.

Improve your benefits and pay... healthcare coverage and salary's are TERRIBLE!

Company talks a good game but doesn't live up to its own hype

Marketing (Former Employee) Glenview, IL

ProsEasy commute from across Chicagoland.
    Invests in new technology regularly for employees to use so they can better serve clients.
    Varied and interesting clients and projects to work on.
    Some interesting travel opportunities.

ConsOn the surface, this should be an outstanding organization to work for. Dig a little deeper, though, and you will discover things that make you scratch your head.

For example, some people are let go when the client(s) they serve change management companies, no matter what skills they can provide to the company, yet others in the same situation are kept on for years and years with no apparent real work to do and even if their management style drove the client away.

Management practices vary from group to group and depend on the whims and personality of each individual team leader. Teams are incredibly siloed, making cross-team collaboration next to impossible, and keeping employees from being truly engaged in the company's mission and vision.

Very little support given for professional development. Emphasis is on people earning their CAE designation; master-level and higher degrees are not highly regarded and certainly aren't rewarded compensation-wise.

Managers definitely play favorites and each have their own "pets" who get treated differently from others on the team.

At review time, there is no real follow-up -- at any level -- to address issues that are identified. The company uses a 360-degree feedback system, but the results are ignored and have no impact on an employee's performance rating or pay raises. Because people aren't trained well on how to use the system, some use it to denigrate their colleagues instead of using it constructively.

Nice place to work with little challenges or demand for high quality work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance - flex hours, option to work from home
    Generally nice people to work

ConsManagement isn't ahead of the curve on IT or ways to make service to the clients top notch at all. Not a high demand for high quality of work as "satisfactory" work will make just about any exec happy. Such small budgets, nothing of any impact can actually be done. Focus so hard on being a nice place to work that they don't emphasize output and giving clients a superior product over the competition. Pay is SO low and they try to compensate to bring in new talent with work/life and extra vacation days which can only make one happy for so long.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on making AMC a true competitor in the marketplace. Stand alone associations have higher quality technology and talent which you need to attract but can't with such low pay and horrible benefits. Invest in state of the art people as well as technology (IT infrastructure) and you will be more ahead of the curve. If clients actually saw the duct tape holding some things together behind the scenes, they would be genuinely shocked.

Good people, good work environment. Respectful and honest.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are very good at what they do. The environment is very friendly and peers are generally very helpful to co-workers.

ConsNot a lot of room for upward mobility. Can only support the existing management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, without a huge influx of new business, there is a limit in how much growth is possible. Limits on employees are based on the size of the company.

Worked for AMC - Illinois? Contribute to the Community!