AMCOL International

AMCOL International Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Ryan F. McKendrick

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe programs are really well managed. Each Friday, one of the senior executives will sit down and chat with us over donuts and coffee. Such a valuable time to learn about their careers and pick up your own advice for your own career.

ConsNot a fast-paced company, can take as a pro or a con. For me, it was a con.

My experience with AMCOL System Inc.

Help Desk Tech (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsThey have an outstanding training department. The teamwork at AMCOL among the employee is great.

ConsCommunication with management is lacking. There is no true leadership in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on leadership skills and understand you employee job and positions.

Salesforce Administrator

ProsGreat work life balance, work friendly enviornment

ConsNot much career growth. Better personal skill development

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amcol intern-2013 summer-had a great experience

Research and Development Engineer (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsGreat People, wonderful work environment, the company is driven for success from the top down, it is a great place to start and build a career

ConsIf you are looking for a fast-paced work environment, this is probably not the place to work, simply because the nature of the manufacturing industry is regimented and planned out

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up great work

Senior Management not in touch, very political good old boys network

Customer Service (Former Employee) Hoffman Est, IL

ProsWonderful Building. Most employees want to do a good job.

ConsOn paper the work the business looks solid, but with 80% marketshare there is no incentive to make any changes, can anyone say Sony Betamax? There is talk of changes that need to happen but no one will make them. They don't want to upset the applecart then wonder why so many people are not happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up your mind. AMCOL has big opportunity to grow but you continue to shut down people with new ideas. A perfect example of this is the innovation team, what a pharse. It was a flavor of the month.

Senior Management Communication is non existant in this office

Customer Service Function (Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsOffice space is very nice, professional atmosphere peer to peer

ConsMy manager offered me no feedback, no signals that there was any problem. I walked into a meeting room and there he was with an HR person letting me know I didnt work at AMCOL anymore. When I asked why he did not give me any information. While the business I was involved with was small we were making progress, and with no reasoning for the change, it made me wonder how committed to the business they were.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a good old boy network. There were no more than 2 women leaders in this business, with virtually no upward opportunity for females regardless of talent. Rather than work with the team members they choose to fire with little or no cause and do not offer any opportunity to learn outside of what you bring from your previous job.

Great learning experience!

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros- really nice office building
    - company goes to great lengths to develop employees
    - managers and senior managers very approachable and willing to coach their employees
    - culture of autonomy lets you bring ideas to the table and gives the opportunity to create your own job
    - mobility within company is great

Cons- decisions can be made rather slowly
    - some of the units do not have a clear and cohesive overall strategy, where team members are not all on the same page

Advice to Senior ManagementFacilitate unity among troubled business units, and get rid of the gossips (my advice for every company in general!)

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Decent first job

Research Associate (Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsGood experience. Learned the dos and dont's of how to maneuver within a political framework.

ConsThe over-all culture is not good, and unrewarding; I think that the incumbent CEO is working to change some of those aspects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe good ole' boys club is going to bite you.

Diverse progressive mining and environmental services. Good concepts and business plans..

(Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsDiversity of products and services allows employees to gain insights to many different areas.
    Great staff, people enjoy working here for the most part.
    Management continues to enhance communications with employees and utilizing cross-segment knowledge.

ConsLack of employee development programs for advancement.
    Lack of cross segment opportunities
    Open positions not posted internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees and continue to seek their advice. The guys in the trenches have more knowledge of the industry, products and process improvement goals than simply following a powerpoint created by consultants looking to sell expensive software or services.

Amcol is ok for a first job.

Lab Technician (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsAssociates were friendly and management tried to "like" the employees goving them outings and such.

ConsManagement looked to shed salary if employee was long in the tooth (read: higher on the salary scale).

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow your employees and reward them, otherwise you lose the knowledge base and skill. You will waste time retraining new people.

Worked for AMCOL International? Contribute to the Community!