AMD

Updated Jul 7, 2014

AMD President & CEO Rory Read

Rory Read

314 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work and co-workers, but struggling company

Fellow (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsWork with high-caliber engineering peers. Despite attrition, company still has an amazing reservoir of talent and skill sets. Makes it a great place to learn, and have a lot of fun.

Plenty of opportunities to innovate and influence the design and flow. Access to technical decisions is not hidden. Even junior employees can make impactful contributions and influence technical directions if they have the wherewithal to make the ROI case.

ConsCompany has been financially challenged for years. Many benefits have already been jettisoned, and remaining ones are getting sliced.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sugar coat. When you reduce cubicle sizes or change vacation policy to save money, don't tell us it was based on employee feedback, just tell us it's to save money.

Many years spent hoping we would break the intel monopoly...but it never happened.

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsLots of good people here.

ConsIt's the same roller coaster ride year after year

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting employees and benefits programs. Get a solid identity and stick with it for once.
    Year after year we would deal with the highs and lows of the semiconductor industry, always living in the shadow of Intel. I and many other employees always embraced the underdog mentality and worked our butts off to better the company, only to have the direction of the company changed time and time again.
    This company has never been the same since Jerry Sanders left. He was a true motivator and always seemed to care about the well being of his employees. Now upper management only cares about the "shareholders" and lining their own pockets.

Great company, plenty of growth opportunities

Director (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGood management team, world class products

ConsWeak growth prospects in the short term

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

don't know how to take care of their employees

Business Planning and Operations (Current Employee)

Prosa lot of good folks

Consmanagers don't know how to manage people

Advice to Senior Managementpromote internal growth

RTL design at austin amd at austin amd

RTL Designer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prossalary is good at austin amd

Conspresure at austin amd at austin amd

Advice to Senior Managementok at austin amd at austin amd

Some progress but Marketing has collapsed

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- Still some good engineering talent and innovation happening
    - Relaxed environment - casual dress, flexible hours
    - Starting to make a turnaround and become profitable

Cons- Financially challenged, really small bonuses if any
    - Constant layoffs are keeping people on edge
    - Not a lot of faith in senior leadership
    - Marketing organization has collapsed under new leadership, very low morale and little progress. Many talented people have left.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Values of the company as stated are great.... but leadership should live 'the AMD Way'.

Senior Program Manager

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsCompany used to have some really exciting things to work on involving large team efforts. Very collaborative.

ConsCompany missed major market trends and is now struggling to find its way in new markets. And there is way too much politics and incompetence in management. AMD's budgets also crimp the abilities of the company and set everyone up against each other. And they continue to send jobs overseas. This company has gone over the edge and it will take many years to recover if it can recover at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementHone your activities down to a few key things, and execute. Quite trying to conquer the world. You are a crippled company now without a product line. Find the way out.

Great learning experience

Co-Op Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGiven enough time to learn and contribute

ConsEverything is good for an employee

Overall a good experience!

Co-Op (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsYou get the real industry experience, interacting with different people dealing with different problems and good projects to work on.

ConsToo much work at times...

Great company, needs coherent management

Engineer Co-Op (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- Coworkers are generally great people. Most everyone I met was friendly and relaxed
    - So long as you're getting your work done, many teams are laid back on restrictions (e.g. - no set schedule to show up/leave)
    - "Green initiative." I was never really an Earth-conscious person, but the whole "Go Green" initiative was pretty interesting like how the buildings are designed to reutilize rain water, the push for carpooling, and promotion of working from home
    - Upper management does a good job of being "visible" to the company. Speeches and "town hall" meetings by CEO and other execs are a great way to interact with workers

Cons- Layoffs. Many people were (and still are) being laid off.
    - Lack of structure/standards for some teams (e.g. - no source control, no preferred languages for company)
    - Marketing department doesn't seem very good at their job. Still have to explain AMD to people

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper execs give some great speeches detailing future plans and current products, there should be a way to get that out to the public (looking at you, marketing). Although still hurting from the Intel lawsuits, stop laying off a lot of your workers. It's happened over 3 times in the past few years and it's very demoralizing to teams to see 2 or 3 people that sat near you now gone.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMD reviews and ratings in Austin, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMD CEO Rory Read. All 314 reviews posted anonymously by AMD employees.