AMD Reviews in Austin, TX

3.3
1,124 Reviews

AMD President & CEO Rory Read
Rory Read

Pros
  • Very laid back culture across the board and you can have an awesome work-life balance (in 101 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, pretty flexible work hours as long as you deliver on things (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in marketing is a complete train wreck (in 50 reviews)

• This impacted work/life balance very negatively (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

322 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Somethings never change

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager - Business Partner  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager - Business Partner in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice People with big hearts. Pretty said that the list stops there.

Cons

These things never change:
    Bonus payouts are not consistent and typically low
    Layoffs happen alot more at this company. Call it restructuring, I call it losing
    Leadership changes are frequent. If leaders are not performing or staying then why should you
    The promise of a better tomorrow that doesn't come
    Placing bets on yesterday's vision and low margin business

Stop holding on to the past. Reinvent the company. Cut all the legacy stuff off and innovate a new beginning.

Good, but illegal?

Current Employee - Co-Op Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people, laid back, fun, interesting environment. A lot of knowledgeable employees that for the most part are willing to help you adjust to their environment.

Cons

Hourly workers are asked to work overtime, but not paid for that work. The co-op students are treated like they are completely ignorant, and sometimes ignored completely.

Change Co-op students to salary if you aren't going to pay them the hours they work.

Stale company, peddling the same business plan from 10 years ago

Former Employee - SMTS Hardware  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - SMTS Hardware in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Other prisoners on the sinking ship are generally nice and talented. You can do whatever you want to do, as long as it doesn't require a budget.

Cons

There are more VPs than engineers, it seems. Too many directors and higher. They even got rid of the engineer-assisting technicians, which is utterly stupid. They need to innovate by creating their own demand in the market. Layoffs accelerating.

Create internal autonomous start-ups and bet the future on them. Incentivize the staff of each startup with real revenue sharing plan that is rock solid. Make millionaires out of the teams and attract excellent talent when those happy people retire.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent for those new to the workforce

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was hired as an intern and was immediately placed on a team that helped me transition into the working world. As soon as I grew accustomed to the various software interfaces, I was able to meaningfully contribute to the projects my team was working on. Positions often lead to decent upward and lateral mobility if searching for a different position within the company. Overall the people I worked with were very warm and I had a great time working here.

Cons

The cubicle structure of the office lent itself to more of a secluded atmosphere. Otherwise had no problems over the length of my internship term (~3 months).

At times it seemed that teams in different groups were disconnected in working towards a product. While the hierarchical team structure worked well for working within the same department (i.e. SLT Testing etc.), it was sometimes difficult to find the right person when a problem arose in a part of the product from a different team's contribution.

Freedom to be creative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Allows individuals to truly contribute and work end to end to get things done. Leadership is moving the company in the right direction

Cons

internal processes can make it difficult to get the job done

Fix the process bottle necks and it would be an amazing place to work

AMD was a very good place to work, even during a significant transition time for the company

Former Employee - Senior Manager of Silicon Validation  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager of Silicon Validation in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time for more than a year

Pros

AMD gives its employee a lot of independence to accomplish your business commitments. Strong company vision. A lot of interesting opportunities during a significant transition time for the company.

Cons

Prior to the new CEO, AMD was struggling to define the strategy and take the company in the direction to realize that strategy required by the significant shift away from PCs and Server chips to the tablet and mobile space, and the need to capitalize on the introduction of integrated graphics and processor SoC products. The transition to the new strategy/direction has not always been smooth even with the new CEO.

Trust the technical community and continue to be inclusive of their expertise and experience as AMD strives to come back from the edge and become a significant global player and industry leader.

Floundering company, decent work enviroment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You work for a company with a good reputation, reasonably relaxed atmosphere, and the most beautiful buildings I've ever worked in.

Cons

Nothing ever seemed to go right for AMD, and it always felt like people were just on the edge of jumping ship for somewhere that wasn't experiencing wave after wave of layoffs.

Please convince us that everything will go right soon- between being unable to yield at GF (Who I would love to abandon), getting beat by Intel, and the constant layoffs, morale is incredibly low.

Great place to work if you're resilient.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, good benefits, and engaging work.

Cons

Constant churn and uncertain future.

Clearly define our future role in the market.

Many years spent hoping we would break the intel monopoly...but it never happened.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of good people here.

Cons

It's the same roller coaster ride year after year

Stop cutting employees and benefits programs. Get a solid identity and stick with it for once.
    Year after year we would deal with the highs and lows of the semiconductor industry, always living in the shadow of Intel. I and many other employees always embraced the underdog mentality and worked our butts off to better the company, only to have the direction of the company changed time and time again.
    This company has never been the same since Jerry Sanders left. He was a true motivator and always seemed to care about the well being of his employees. Now upper management only cares about the "shareholders" and lining their own pockets.

don't know how to take care of their employees

Current Employee - Business Planning and Operations  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Planning and Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

a lot of good folks

Cons

managers don't know how to manage people

promote internal growth

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!