AMD

Updated Apr 13, 2014

AMD President & CEO Rory Read

Rory Read

302 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent for those new to the workforce

Product Development Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD as an intern for less than a year

ProsI was hired as an intern and was immediately placed on a team that helped me transition into the working world. As soon as I grew accustomed to the various software interfaces, I was able to meaningfully contribute to the projects my team was working on. Positions often lead to decent upward and lateral mobility if searching for a different position within the company. Overall the people I worked with were very warm and I had a great time working here.

ConsThe cubicle structure of the office lent itself to more of a secluded atmosphere. Otherwise had no problems over the length of my internship term (~3 months).

Advice to Senior ManagementAt times it seemed that teams in different groups were disconnected in working towards a product. While the hierarchical team structure worked well for working within the same department (i.e. SLT Testing etc.), it was sometimes difficult to find the right person when a problem arose in a part of the product from a different team's contribution.

The dead weight at the top will tip this whole company over

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGenerally nice people at director and below. The pay is above market if you can negotiate well. You get a lot of responsibility at your level if you can tolerate the politics

ConsSenior management in marketing is a complete train wreck. Terrible, terrible managers with limited subject matter expertise. Every half-way competent person in marketing is half out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of everyone director and above in marketing and you might have a chance at keeping the people that actually do the work.

Somethings never change

Human Resources Manager - Business Partner (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice People with big hearts. Pretty said that the list stops there.

ConsThese things never change:
Bonus payouts are not consistent and typically low
Layoffs happen alot more at this company. Call it restructuring, I call it losing
Leadership changes are frequent. If leaders are not performing or staying then why should you
The promise of a better tomorrow that doesn't come
Placing bets on yesterday's vision and low margin business

Advice to Senior ManagementStop holding on to the past. Reinvent the company. Cut all the legacy stuff off and innovate a new beginning.

Floundering company, decent work enviroment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou work for a company with a good reputation, reasonably relaxed atmosphere, and the most beautiful buildings I've ever worked in.

ConsNothing ever seemed to go right for AMD, and it always felt like people were just on the edge of jumping ship for somewhere that wasn't experiencing wave after wave of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease convince us that everything will go right soon- between being unable to yield at GF (Who I would love to abandon), getting beat by Intel, and the constant layoffs, morale is incredibly low.

Good, but illegal?

Co-op Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat people, laid back, fun, interesting environment. A lot of knowledgeable employees that for the most part are willing to help you adjust to their environment.

ConsHourly workers are asked to work overtime, but not paid for that work. The co-op students are treated like they are completely ignorant, and sometimes ignored completely.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange Co-op students to salary if you aren't going to pay them the hours they work.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Stale company, peddling the same business plan from 10 years ago

SMTS Hardware (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOther prisoners on the sinking ship are generally nice and talented. You can do whatever you want to do, as long as it doesn't require a budget.

ConsThere are more VPs than engineers, it seems. Too many directors and higher. They even got rid of the engineer-assisting technicians, which is utterly stupid. They need to innovate by creating their own demand in the market. Layoffs accelerating.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate internal autonomous start-ups and bet the future on them. Incentivize the staff of each startup with real revenue sharing plan that is rock solid. Make millionaires out of the teams and attract excellent talent when those happy people retire.

AMD was a very good place to work, even during a significant transition time for the company

Senior Manager of Silicon Validation (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time for more than a year

ProsAMD gives its employee a lot of independence to accomplish your business commitments. Strong company vision. A lot of interesting opportunities during a significant transition time for the company.

ConsPrior to the new CEO, AMD was struggling to define the strategy and take the company in the direction to realize that strategy required by the significant shift away from PCs and Server chips to the tablet and mobile space, and the need to capitalize on the introduction of integrated graphics and processor SoC products. The transition to the new strategy/direction has not always been smooth even with the new CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the technical community and continue to be inclusive of their expertise and experience as AMD strives to come back from the edge and become a significant global player and industry leader.

Freedom to be creative

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAllows individuals to truly contribute and work end to end to get things done. Leadership is moving the company in the right direction

Consinternal processes can make it difficult to get the job done

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the process bottle necks and it would be an amazing place to work

Great place to work if you're resilient.

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture, good benefits, and engaging work.

ConsConstant churn and uncertain future.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly define our future role in the market.

Many years spent hoping we would break the intel monopoly...but it never happened.

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of good people here.

ConsIt's the same roller coaster ride year after year

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting employees and benefits programs. Get a solid identity and stick with it for once.
Year after year we would deal with the highs and lows of the semiconductor industry, always living in the shadow of Intel. I and many other employees always embraced the underdog mentality and worked our butts off to better the company, only to have the direction of the company changed time and time again.
This company has never been the same since Jerry Sanders left. He was a true motivator and always seemed to care about the well being of his employees. Now upper management only cares about the "shareholders" and lining their own pockets.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMD reviews and ratings in Austin, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMD CEO Rory Read. All 302 reviews posted anonymously by AMD employees.