AMD

Updated Mar 10, 2014

AMD President & CEO Rory Read

Rory Read

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

How the mighty have fallen!

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are reasonably smart and hardworking (and manage to keep your job through reorgs), fairly good place from work-life balance perspective

Cons* Management tries to exploit limited opportunities in Boston area in chip design, by not compensating people properly.
* Misalignment in leveling across locations (especially management in Boston does not reward employees at same level as other locations)

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have (or at least had till I worked there) very smart engineers. You owe them and the shareholders for all the mismanagement over the last 10 years. Show them a well thought out strategy and they will do great things for you.

No security in doing a job well done

Senior Hardware Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary is competitive.
Work is interesting.
They offer pretty decent benefits.
They have sites in many locations.
They use quality industry tools.
Most of the technical people are very bright and seem to know what they're doing.

ConsThere's a culture for a cycle of constant layoffs and constant hiring. So even if you do your job, meet your deadlines, your head may still be on the chopping block. It's an atmosphere of fear where you are constantly worried if you're playing the political game well or not. If you're a quieter person, this place definitely advocates that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. As a new person, you're constantly worried if you spoke enough in meetings or if your work is a high enough quality. But in the end, that doesn't matter, and it just depends on whether Senior Management likes you or not.

Great technology but difficult management and culture.

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe technology is very cool and the company is small enough that you can make a real difference. The fusion stuff where CPUs and GPUs work closely together is awesome.

ConsThe company can't seem to make money. Products are constantly canceled. Schedules constantly shift. Responsibilities and ownership for common stuff is often unclear. Lots of schedule chicken and passing the buck. Decisions often don't get made at all, or at best they are delayed until the last possible moment.

A frustrating place to work -- poor management decisions and cumbersome processes

Senior Member Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of good technical people and challenging work.

ConsOngoing management churn with poor decisions, missed schedules, and frequent roadmap revisions. Software release processes are convoluted and failing.

Hire and Fire mindset

Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome very talented and intelligent engineers that were great to work with

ConsManagement completely screwed up with constant thrashing of projects and no clear direction that they are taking the company, if they continue this way they will not survive.
Hire and fire mindset, fire employees to make the financials look good then months later hiring again. Very shady, I know of a woman that was on maternity leave and was laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a concrete plan/direction and stick to it.

welcome to the inside of the box, here are your politics

Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Boxborough, MA

I have been working at AMD

ProsThe paycheck is good.

Different teams are open and honest in their communication with each other; it is less "silo"-ed than some places.

ConsIt's the first job I didn't love. It's the first job I needed to work weekends just to stay afloat.

AMD puts each employee in a little box. Once they find out you can do something, you get to keep doing that one thing forever. You may be promoted and get a raise, but your actual role will not change. Professional development? They've heard of it...

Management is variable. Some of the management usually makes decent decisions. Some efforts that should have been achievable, instead have been derailed by unproductive political battles. So it can be a free for all. Where's the adult supervision? It's a good place if you are a politician.

The company nearly went broke during the 2008-2009 recession.

Advice to Senior ManagementCease operations and free the wage slaves? Who knows what can save this co. from its 1990s business model, internal politics, and competitors who are stronger on the high end and nimbler on the low end?

Intense, but good if you like a startup feeling in an established public company.

Principal Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than a year

ProsGood if you want to design microprocessors and graphics processing units (cpus and gpus), cmos circuits and microprocessor architecture. Design teams are big and spread all over the world. A lot of teleconference meetings and possibly some travel involved.

ConsProjects can be too long (3-5 years) which makes them prone to a higher level of uncertainty on their completion (market changes, technology changes, management changes, etc). You are expected to be able to log in from home or while on the road. People tend to put in long hours including and it is not uncommon to receive and send email 24/7. Design teams are all over the country and world therefore there is a need to have teleconference meetings at odd times which could be very early, very late, or during lunch time. Has very similar performance policies as Intel: top 10% employees get treated like kings, bottom 10% employees get laid off in the next cost cutting round, the other 80% get below expectation reviews during tough times and average reviews during good times.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be honest during performance reviews and not use them as "motivational tools". It is not fair on hard working employees and it takes a big toll on company morale.

Was good in the begining...

Senior Solutions Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUltra High-tech firm with access to cutting edge technologies.

Health benefits exceeded the industry standard. I never paid anything except a small co-pay, even for major surgery.

Absolutely amazing colleagues. Some of the brightest minds in the world work there.

ConsWhat you’re hired at was about as good as it gets. The company would consistently hire very senior level people, at very competitive salaries, and then assign them a title that would limit their potential for receiving any significant form of raise. Most often the salary increases wouldn’t even cover increases in cost of living (not good for a long term career). Often when referring people into he company we would inform them to only accept a position if the company agreed to change the title to a higher level, thus forcing them to be hired at the bottom of the salary range with room for salary increases.

The Information Technology teams were re-organized SIX TIMES from the beginning of 2010 to the latter half of 2012. By the end the staff was “siloed” into groups based on very specific functions, and none of these groups communicated well. This made it impossible to complete any project. By the end of this time it was common to say “If you don’t like what you’re doing, just wait two months”.

If you are not located in Austin, TX then you will often get overlooked (referred to internally as “Good ole Boy Syndrome”)

There is a major lack of focus from upper management (Director up), and middle management is horribly overworked (promotion to management was considered a death sentence).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus!!!

Mediocre employer

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAbility to work from home, friendly coworkers

ConsManagement is poor, pay is average but bonuses are lousy (if they ever occur). The company has been in a tailspin which has accelerated in the last year. There is much dissatisfaction and concern among coworkers about the company's viablility. Also poor recognition of effort regarding promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementOptimism ran high in the company a year ago but has since evaporated. Share with the employees why current plan to turn the company around are expected to work when so many other plans have failed.

Pretty good so far

Design Engineer II (Current Employee)
Boxborough, MA

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than a year

Prosgood and challenging work. feels good to be working for a company which is regarded as an underdog

Consever changing roadmaps and fickle management

Advice to Senior Managementcreate a roadmap of your own instead of following the market all the time

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMD reviews and ratings in Boxborough, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMD CEO Rory Read. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by AMD employees.